Iliotibial band syndrome

Aldyyyy

Winger
Anyone on here suffer from this? I've basically just self diagnosed meself with it off google. Decided a needed something to keep es sane during lockdown so got a bike and was going out for rides everyday. Realised how much I enjoyed it and been gradually getting further each day but last week after about 20 miles the outside bit of me knee out of ne where started killing whenever a moved it and couldn't continue. Gave it a couple days rest but went out again and after 20 miles again it started killing, I was too stubborn to ask for a lift back so rode the 20 miles back yem and now it just hasn't stopped hurting since. Obviously I'm gonna rest it properly this time but if it is ITB anyone got any tips cos a can't be arsed this happening after every 20 mile :lol:

Anyone on here suffer from this? I've basically just self diagnosed meself with it off google. Decided a needed something to keep es sane during lockdown so got a bike and was going out for rides everyday. Realised how much I enjoyed it and been gradually getting further each day but last week after about 20 miles the outside bit of me knee out of ne where started killing whenever a moved it and couldn't continue. Gave it a couple days rest but went out again and after 20 miles again it started killing, I was too stubborn to ask for a lift back so rode the 20 miles back yem and now it just hasn't stopped hurting since. Obviously I'm gonna rest it properly this time but if it is ITB anyone got any tips cos a can't be arsed this happening after every 20 mile :lol:
You need a bike fit. Foam roll the it bands. Try doing the pigeon pose.

You need a bike fit. Foam roll the it bands. Try doing the pigeon pose.

Knees still too sore at the minute for the pigeon pose but been doing the foam roll, cheers
Foam roll and lay off the bike for a few weeks.

Its killing es stopping off the bike, especially when the weathers decent. Gonna give it a few more days rest and maybe go for a little ride see what its like then.

Last edited:
It's usually a runners injury.. Not heard of cyclists getting it before... It's basically lots of rest to cure it.. It can go away for weeks then come back for no reason.. When I had it it used to flare up if I had been sitting down for a while .. When I got got up bang .. It was back..

It's usually a runners injury.. Not heard of cyclists getting it before... It's basically lots of rest to cure it.. It can go away for weeks then come back for no reason.. When I had it it used to flare up if I had been sitting down for a while .. When I got got up bang .. It was back..

Seems to be quite common in cyclists. Just seems like its coming on after a certain amount of time which is shit if it stays like that when planning on doing the c2c in September

Seems to be quite common in cyclists. Just seems like its coming on after a certain amount of time which is shit if it stays like that when planning on doing the c2c in September
I had it for 9 months last year.. March to December.. It would go away for days even weeks but them come back..it was always after I had been sitting down .. Usually at work after a tea break but it gradually went... I found a knee support helped but didn't stop it..

I had it for 9 months last year.. March to December.. It would go away for days even weeks but them come back..it was always after I had been sitting down .. Usually at work after a tea break but it gradually went... I found a knee support helped but didn't stop it..

Just tried a little ride but felt it coming on after a couple mile so didn't even bother. Looks like its need resting a lot longer than a thought, gutted.

Foam roller an it band is pointless as is trying to "stretch" it. It's like a thick rubber band with very little blood flow. Treat the source of the of the problem not the band itself. Bike fit would be a good starting point, plenty on YouTube to get you somewhere close.

Christ, shite that. Wonder if its summit else.

I've got private healthcare through work so gonna try see some sort of physio person through that see what the crack is. Even when am lying in bed and try to lift the duvet with me leg if it's in a certain position it hurts like but day to day stuff it's fine.

I've got private healthcare through work so gonna try see some sort of physio person through that see what the crack is. Even when am lying in bed and try to lift the duvet with me leg if it's in a certain position it hurts like but day to day stuff it's fine.
Nowt worse than being injured like.

The bike fit is the best suggestion.

I was doing the Peloton way too low and before I know it I was having a mild discomfort in my knee. Not pain, more just soreness after a ride. Put it up four or five and felt different all together. Core was engaging the lot.

Your bike not being set up correctly is most likely the cause of your issue.

Back