Iliotibial band syndrome

It's usually a runners injury.. Not heard of cyclists getting it before... It's basically lots of rest to cure it.. It can go away for weeks then come back for no reason.. When I had it it used to flare up if I had been sitting down for a while .. When I got got up bang .. It was back..

I put up with it undiagnosed for a year many years ago and just happened to mention it to my physio when I was there getting treated for something else. She diagnosed it on the spot and set about it with deep tissue massage. She said "This will hurt" and boy was she not kidding. That was it gone and the odd foam rolling session plus stretches she showed me have kept it away since.

I'm a bit late to this thread but I suffered from this for a number of years on and off.

My problem was caused by two things - I over supinate when I walk and the outside of my shoes/trainers wear down quicker than the inside. I compounded this problem by running in old trainers that were way too worn to be running in.

I got a steroid injection in my knee by a doctor and did a lot of stretching. The elevated pigeon stretch is by far the best one for me (if you google it there is a good video on Men's Health on how do it properly). Secondly I invested in a pair of quality running shoes and I paid a bit more care to my shoes/trainers that I walk about in to make sure I'm not walking around in worn out trainers.

I proper stretching routine made a big difference now and the problem has pretty much gone away for me. Hope this helps.

Mine has flared up again. Done Helvellyn on Sunday and was in pain all the way back down. Its so annoying cos I have no problem going up, absolutely buzzing with the views and accomplishment then, like always, ten minutes into the decent my knees start clicking and the pain starts. Still sore now. Van in for a service and had to stop twice walking 200 metres for a coffee. Honestly think I can rectify this myself if I pay more attention to my legs in the gym.

Back