If your employer moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
An hour each way including traffic, or not? If not, definitely new job time. Eitherway, 2hrs per day on top of work would be a show stopper for me

55 mile to the office for me, 40 min drive - that's enough mind I've been offered others further away but that would mean more home office or stopping overnight

My department got outsourced and they wanted to move but under TUPE rules they could only move within a 5 mile radius of the current location. I don't know if anything like that might apply to you.

That's not true, also if there is a "mobility clause" in your contract you are obliged to follow or leave without any compensation package and employers don’t have to offer employees any compensation for relocating, unless it’s specified in their contract.

If I was a low ranking employee who was easily replaceable*, A or B.

If I was in management or higher I would consider C or D

B might be the best though if this business is the way forward for your career

*anyone is replaceable but you know what I mean, a successful and experienced senior manager is harder to replace

So that's what Fergal Sharkey meant when he sang "A good heart these days is hard to find". Or was he on about transplant surgery?

Happened to me with Washington Metalworks. Went from 20 minute bus to Washington to around 1hr 20 to get to felling. Didnt stay very long after that.

Lets say you live in Sunderland and work at somewhere you can get to in 10 minutes on your bike or 5 mins in your car.
One day your company decides they are going to move to somewhere that's an hour away.
This means you can no longer cycle to work, and you are going to have to leave home an hour earlier and get back an hour later each day, which will impact on your life outside of work. You're also going to use loads more fuel and put loads of miles on your car, not to mention wear and tear.

What would you do?

A) Look for a new job
B) Move house to be closer
C) Agree, but ask for extra payments to cover fuel/car bills
D As C, but ask for extra pay to compensate for losing your free time.

If you like your job, then it's option B), C) or D), depending upon your preference, but you might enquire as to what compensation might be made. You'll probably not be compensated for B) though.

If you don;t like your job, then opt for A).

You missed E

Call in your union and get everyone to threaten strike action because terms and conditions of your work have changed. When you sign a contract it should stipulate what area/office you are reporting to.

In what workplaces do unions have any power these days? If the union has any clout, it might be worth a go.

Last edited:
That's a canny average speed that mind

I live 2 min from the highway, office 2 min off it, general clear road so a steady 150 all the way - people still go past me like I'm stood still

The additional miles will be roughly 13,650 based on average 35mph for 45mins twice a day. The UK mileage rate is 45p for the first 10k and then 25p for subsequent miles, so the cash equivalent is £5,412 on the basis the additional miles are paid for in accordance with UK tax rules for business miles.

It would then depend on how much the person values the extra cash over the increased working day commitment and fuel costs which would be lower than the above.

@Frijj this fella wants your crown

Last edited:
Lets say you live in Sunderland and work at somewhere you can get to in 10 minutes on your bike or 5 mins in your car.
One day your company decides they are going to move to somewhere that's an hour away.
This means you can no longer cycle to work, and you are going to have to leave home an hour earlier and get back an hour later each day, which will impact on your life outside of work. You're also going to use loads more fuel and put loads of miles on your car, not to mention wear and tear.

What would you do?

A) Look for a new job

The additional miles will be roughly 13,650 based on average 35mph for 45mins twice a day. The UK mileage rate is 45p for the first 10k and then 25p for subsequent miles, so the cash equivalent is £5,412 on the basis the additional miles are paid for in accordance with UK tax rules for business miles.

It would then depend on how much the person values the extra cash over the increased working day commitment and fuel costs which would be lower than the above.

What would you do?

A) Look for a new job

Weigh up the current salary against your job skills and the market place.
I certainly wouldn't move for an hours drive to work.
If they want you they will likely pay you.

I live 2 min from the highway, office 2 min off it, general clear road so a steady 150 all the way - people still go past me like I'm stood still

@Frijj this fella wants your crown

:lol::lol:

He needs to start somewhere with negotiations to cover his reasonable costs. Nowt wrong with providing the employer with miles and government approved costs to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back