If your employer moved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Herbal

Striker
Lets say you live in Sunderland and work at somewhere you can get to in 10 minutes on your bike or 5 mins in your car.
One day your company decides they are going to move to somewhere that's an hour away.
This means you can no longer cycle to work, and you are going to have to leave home an hour earlier and get back an hour later each day, which will impact on your life outside of work. You're also going to use loads more fuel and put loads of miles on your car, not to mention wear and tear.

What would you do?

A) Look for a new job
B) Move house to be closer
C) Agree, but ask for extra payments to cover fuel/car bills
D As C, but ask for extra pay to compensate for losing your free time.

depends on the job I do and the availability of alternatives.

it could be a case of tough and having to suck it up

no harm in asking for c/d

It takes me an hour to get to work now so it wouldn't bother me too much. I'd probably insist on working from home more often though to make up for the inconvenience.

If I was a low ranking employee who was easily replaceable*, A or B.

If I was in management or higher I would consider C or D

B might be the best though if this business is the way forward for your career

*anyone is replaceable but you know what I mean, a successful and experienced senior manager is harder to replace

This happened to me (albeit about 15 years ago) and we were given a relocation package which lasted for three years which at the time was mandatory for anyone whose travel time/distance had increased by a certain amount. Have a look online for any advice

Lets say you live in Sunderland and work at somewhere you can get to in 10 minutes on your bike or 5 mins in your car.
One day your company decides they are going to move to somewhere that's an hour away.
This means you can no longer cycle to work, and you are going to have to leave home an hour earlier and get back an hour later each day, which will impact on your life outside of work. You're also going to use loads more fuel and put loads of miles on your car, not to mention wear and tear.

What would you do?

A) Look for a new job
Happened to a bunch of us at the place I was at about five year ago. We were in Ashbrooke and moved to Gateshead. A 20 minute walk turned into a journey of about an hour, whether that was getting a lift in rush hour or getting the metro through.

The move didn't have as much affect as I thought it would. I used to work 10-6ish anyway, but after the move they scrapped flexi so I was still getting home at about the same time. Just meant I had to get up two hours earlier to start at 9.

I considered A but it would have meant going further afield anyway. B was a non-starter, we'd only just bought our house. We kind of got C, it was around the time of a pay review so everyone's went up anyway.

I left about a year later to go to a place in Newcastle. If anything with the commute not as bad as I thought it would be it opened my eyes to more opportunities that were around the same area.

Disclaimer: I work in Sunderland again now :lol:.

Happened to our lass.moved from durham to darlo. No choice bisses lived there wanted to be closer to their home. Now they not evem working then.right in middle of town. Traffic murder. Bunch of kuntz

It happened to me. Got travel costs for two years IIRC. Moved house shortly afterwards too, although work wasn't the reason we actually did end up closer.

It takes me an hour to get to work now so it wouldn't bother me too much. I'd probably insist on working from home more often though to make up for the inconvenience.
Not really an option for most people though. What If you put wheels on cars?

d
An hour bike ride will get you super fit also , living in coronation street if only takes you 5 mins to get to work

What would you do?

A) Look for a new job
I would be very cautious about following any employer around unless you have a water tight clause for x amount of guaranteed work
They could easily bladder you after a few months and you could of shelled out moving costs and then left high and dry

My department got outsourced and they wanted to move but under TUPE rules they could only move within a 5 mile radius of the current location. I don't know if anything like that might apply to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back