If your car slides on black ice ...

I did exactly this in the bad winter in 2010 at a t junction, the car I hit was on the wrong side of the road overtaking a parked car on her side, I slid into the car on the ice. Even googled whiplash symptoms I was that confident it was her fault (on the wrong side). Oooh no if your entering a new road and crash it’s almost 100% your fault in the eyes of the insurance, similiar to going in the back of somebody.

.. out of a junction and another car approaching on the road bumped into you, how would the insurance company sort it out? I assume that you’d be liable for repairs to other cars.

I assume that a claim could be lodged against the council for not gritting the roads. ;)
it may be knock for knock as all parties were driving too fast in the road conditions

not a chance with the council thing mind

I was skidding at about 1 yard an hour! The problem was that I couldn’t stop.
obviously I don't know the full details. need to establish what were the road conditions like. what time of day. what speed you doing at the approach to the junction. was it the braking on ice that caused to skid. The vast majority of times it is speed that causes a skid. That's why take your foot of the accelerator and turn the steering wheel into skid.

when I was a hgv drive I used to deliver to loads of building sites. one day, the wagon went into a skid because of the very wet mud and I just missed a car. I informed work, just in case I was told I was responsible as travelling to fast. I said the same as you. was told if not safe to proceed then stop.

Back