If your car slides on black ice ...

.. out of a junction and another car approaching on the road bumped into you, how would the insurance company sort it out? I assume that you’d be liable for repairs to other cars.

I assume that a claim could be lodged against the council for not gritting the roads. ;)

.. out of a junction and another car approaching on the road bumped into you, how would the insurance company sort it out? I assume that you’d be liable for repairs to other cars.

I assume that a claim could be lodged against the council for not gritting the roads. ;)

Just for the hell of it looked it up :lol::lol:

http://www.forsterdean.co.uk/who-is-to-blame-when-show-or-ice-causes-an-accident/

Councils do not have an absolute duty to make sure that roads and paths are to be kept free from ice. Courts are also concerned not to readily find Councils to be at fault due to the fear of opening the floodgates.

If, for example, somebody is involved in a road traffic accident where they have skidded on black ice, then the Courts will be slow to find for them where they are of the view that the local authorities are only as good as the weather information given to them and also, that they have to prioritise primary routes over secondary routes once gritting has started.

Just for the hell of it looked it up :lol::lol:

http://www.forsterdean.co.uk/who-is-to-blame-when-show-or-ice-causes-an-accident/

Councils do not have an absolute duty to make sure that roads and paths are to be kept free from ice. Courts are also concerned not to readily find Councils to be at fault due to the fear of opening the floodgates.

If, for example, somebody is involved in a road traffic accident where they have skidded on black ice, then the Courts will be slow to find for them where they are of the view that the local authorities are only as good as the weather information given to them and also, that they have to prioritise primary routes over secondary routes once gritting has started.
Ta for that I shall quote it if anyone ever argues with me.

Do not assume anything where insurance is involved.

There was a lad went arse over tit on his bike this morning, luckily I didn’t follow him onto the cycle path as I turn right so went on the road.

I stopped to make sure he was alright, the path was like a skating rink, I’ll have to be cautious in the future seems the road is the safest option.

Last edited:
I had a terrible situation on Monday gone. Taking my son to school in the works van and we skidded on black ice, wheels weren't turning and the brake was doing nowt. I was headed for the back of a small car and could see kids in the back so I instinctively turned left, there's a path to my left then about 20 metres of grass, upon hitting the kerb my van veered straight so we're now headed for a bus stop (luckily no one at it), swinging left again we missed bus stop and came to a stop in the long grass. My son was hysterical and I was absolutely terrified too, kept him off school and even now I can't stop thinking about how lucky we were and how different it could have been.

I had a terrible situation on Monday gone. Taking my son to school in the works van and we skidded on black ice, wheels weren't turning and the brake was doing nowt. I was headed for the back of a small car and could see kids in the back so I instinctively turned left, there's a path to my left then about 20 metres of grass, upon hitting the kerb my van veered straight so we're now headed for a bus stop (luckily no one at it), swinging left again we missed bus stop and came to a stop in the long grass. My son was hysterical and I was absolutely terrified too, kept him off school and even now I can't stop thinking about how lucky we were and how different it could have been.
I’m glad to hear that you and your son are ok. Mine heard some new swear words this morning.

Shortly after I passed my test, I decided to take a road on a steep decline that only ever had enough room for one car up or down at a time (due to cars parked either side). Took it slowish, due to the weather, in second gear and began to skid out left and right. Absolutely shat myself. The steep decline was probably for 150 metres or so, sliding left and right trying to steer out of the skids (picking up speed and refusing to brake - as that would have been worse and would have resulted in me hitting something). The road levels out at the bottom for a short while before getting to a main road. When I got to the level part I made sure I came to a stop and sat there for a few minutes before moving on (just to calm down). If I'm ever around that area in icy times I skip that road and take the main roads.

Shortly after I passed my test, I decided to take a road on a steep decline that only ever had enough room for one car up or down at a time (due to cars parked either side). Took it slowish, due to the weather, in second gear and began to skid out left and right. Absolutely shat myself. The steep decline was probably for 150 metres or so, sliding left and right trying to steer out of the skids (picking up speed and refusing to brake - as that would have been worse and would have resulted in me hitting something). The road levels out at the bottom for a short while before getting to a main road. When I got to the level part I made sure I came to a stop and sat there for a few minutes before moving on (just to calm down). If I'm ever around that area in icy times I skip that road and take the main roads.
I’m going to make my fat spoilt kids walk to school from now on.

Yes thanks Hun, I wanted to explain to the driver that I couldn’t stop but he must have thought that I wanted a fight on the school run.

I’m disappointed how people jump to conclusions but to be fair he was driving a BMW so is obviously an arrogant toss pot.
Glad to hear it my love. I read between the lines and realised you’d been in a smash. Everyone else is ignorant. Inbox me hun x

Back