If you were upgrading ...

• Thread starter ThankHeavenForShed 7
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nee bother old chum. Transfer me a security deposit of $100000 and I'll send the cash pronto :cool:

Have you seen any in actual shops over there?

Only 2 stockists in the UK, but plenty of bullshitters who think they can get it

On a more serious note why are they so much more expensive. I mean the 645 film is about what 1000 quid new, 6 times the price for a digital back on it? Seems like a big markup and I have heard about the price of the chips and the failure rate but it seems overly expensive.

On a more serious note why are they so much more expensive. I mean the 645 film is about what 1000 quid new, 6 times the price for a digital back on it? Seems like a big markup and I have heard about the price of the chips and the failure rate but it seems overly expensive.

Compare them to the equivalent Hasselblad ;)

Hassies are not within my budget, the Pentax potentially is

I would save about £3k a year not using film, although it would be a huge shame to lose it

Even compared to the 1Ds mk3 it looks value to me...

Canon can't go much further without making the sensor bigger and having to have an entire new range of lenses

Last edited by a moderator:
Some interesting stuff on this thread to look in to. Cheers for your thoughts. The 645d might have to wait a couple of years though ;)

Icarebecauseyoudo - are you a professional? I've often wondered because you have a kind of Yoda-like presence on the photography board, offering occasional mystical comments about horizons, expensive cameras and film but don't enter the competitions!

Some interesting stuff on this thread to look in to. Cheers for your thoughts. The 645d might have to wait a couple of years though ;)

Icarebecauseyoudo - are you a professional? I've often wondered because you have a kind of Yoda-like presence on the photography board, offering occasional mystical comments about horizons, expensive cameras and film but don't enter the competitions!

I heard his blood is developing fluid and he has aperture priority eyes.

:lol:

Small your aperture must be for to focus on the fuller picture

Anyway, the long and short of it is, I've been thinking of switching to the dark side.... :eek:

Judging by the February entries so far, neither does anyone else! Come on guys, I might risk coming second if nobody else enters (and I don't deserve to).

Anyway, the long and short of it is, I've been thinking of switching to the dark side.... :eek:

I don't know anything about what kind of photography you do, but could you not get the digital results you need from a full frame body like the Nikon D3X instead of a medium format? You then have all the numerous technological benefits of these cameras, plus the wide range of lenses, accessories etc, and surely not far off the image quality of a high-end medium format film camera. Just strikes me that there can be few professional photographers for whom that wouldn't suffice - perhaps those producing very large fine art prints for example, or serious landscape work, but you're probably in the realms of large format film at this point anyway, rather than medium format.

Just curious. I'm very much an amateur, and aspire to have one of these FX Nikons at some point (to go with my film bodies), but can't currently imagine the benefit of ever going 'beyond' that.

Judging by the February entries so far, neither does anyone else! Come on guys, I might risk coming second if nobody else enters (and I don't deserve to).
I went to shoot something I'd seen last Wednesday on Saturday but it was covered up and I wasn't brave enough to uncover it. :-(

Got a few duff shots, but nothing worth entering so far. I reckon there will be a deluge of photographs on sunday 27th

My tactic this month is just to look back at what I've taken over the month and post something on the final day. The rule of thirds is such a broad topic and, to be honest, it kind of underpins a lot of what I take anyway.

I don't know anything about what kind of photography you do, but could you not get the digital results you need from a full frame body like the Nikon D3X instead of a medium format? You then have all the numerous technological benefits of these cameras, plus the wide range of lenses, accessories etc, and surely not far off the image quality of a high-end medium format film camera. Just strikes me that there can be few professional photographers for whom that wouldn't suffice - perhaps those producing very large fine art prints for example, or serious landscape work, but you're probably in the realms of large format film at this point anyway, rather than medium format.

Just curious. I'm very much an amateur, and aspire to have one of these FX Nikons at some point (to go with my film bodies), but can't currently imagine the benefit of ever going 'beyond' that.

Yes, my perspective is that digital is only now just beginning to provide the quality that film can, at a (relatively) affordable price. And that would be only with full frame MF digi...

We'll see how my sample images compare anyway, MF might not be enough as far as it has come...I don't know yet!

I'm curious that Canon have yet to release a 1ds mk IV

It could be they are bashing their heads against a glass ceiling because of sensor size.

Pentax look well placed to clean up their high end sales to me ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Icarebecauseyoudo said:
Yes, my perspective is that digital is only now just beginning to provide the quality that film can, at a (relatively) affordable price. And that would be only with full frame MF digi...

We'll see how my sample images compare anyway, MF might not be enough as far as it has come...I don't know yet!

I'm curious that Canon have yet to release a 1ds mk IV

It could be they are bashing their heads against a glass ceiling because of sensor size.

Pentax look well placed to clean up their high end sales to me ...

I had a play with a 80-odd million megapixel Phase One the other week. The detail was incredible.

I should hope so with 80 million Megapixels

:lol: Assume it's 80mp, not 80million mp

I thought the human eye couldn't see beyond about 16m megapixels?:?:

No idea if that's true, but it can certainly pick up detail in large prints, so that's irrelevant anyway

But there are limits - sensor size, as mentioned before, and then lens quality

You couldn't go much beyond 10 x 8 in large format film as the quality of the lenses then just limit the detail you would get...

Clearly digi has potential to get bigger yet, if 10 x 8 is a limit though! :lol: I'd like to see the first 10 x 8 full frame digi

I had a play with a 80-odd million megapixel Phase One the other week. The detail was incredible.

How much are we talking? £25k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back