If you had around £8k for an estate car, what would you pick?

Toyota Avensys. Had mine for 8 years odd with 120,000 on the clock. Comfortable, spacious, economical and nowt goes wrong. I even gota recall notice from Toyota in the new year that involved replacing a fuel valve, they took the back seat out to get to it and cost me nowt, not many manufacturers would recall a 9 year old car for something like that

@TheWanderer keep us updated will you.

Possibly moving back to the UK so a similar boat as you and looking for an estate and at the same price.

Got most of those on the list, been a Volvo man in the past so would lean that way.

Would also add a Vauxhall Insignia to that list as you seem to get a bit of bang for your buck with those. I might even consider a Jag X-type estate.

A newer less flash Octavia with less miles for same money ,but the Skoda anyhow (or a Superb)
This. Superb by a mile imo.

I'm gutted I can't get one myself - need something with 3 "proper" seats in the back/middle row. Otherwise I'd be on a superb in a heartbeat.

Just got a Octavia through work, it’s a decent car, is canny on juice, excellent ice and estate boot is big enough for my ladders, tools etc

Soon (August I think) will be handing back the X-Trail, and as I'm now working from home and just using a car at weekends I've decided just to get a loan and get an old basher estate car.

Any experience from the SMBers for any of the following, I like the looks of the Volvo the best, and looks like with FSH they go well onto 100,000+ miles, needs to be big enough for 5 people (2 in booster seats) and a dog, any alternatives to these that I should consider, I may push the budget a bit:

Might not be the most important factor in your choice, but I had a V70 estate some years back that had the "Family Pack" (or similar name) on it and that had 2 built in booster seats in the back. No idea if Volvo did the same thing with the V60, but may be worth investigating.
(Ignoring the booster seat issue - Skoda Octavia (or Superb))

If you're not bothered about anything flash and just want a comfortable, relatively cheap diesel motor, I'd recommended an old 1.9 tdi golf or bora (the pd130 engines go well over 200k miles if serviced every 12 months) should be able to pick a decent one up for between 1-2k.

Vauxhall zafira? Again, plenty around for circa 2k.

Tell you what mate, that may be a canny shout, look canny, and had an i30 as a hire car a little while back and it wasn’t bad at all.

This is for nowt, although cat S, but may be worth a risk?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903236198005?advertising-location=at_cars&maximum-mileage=60000&postcode=sr32da&body-type=Estate&model=I40&page=1&make=HYUNDAI&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used

I got an ix35 recently (their mini SUV style one) for just over £8k and it's still got a couple of years left on the manufacturer's warranty to run. Been a cracking car so far - I'd definitely get another Hyundai. Boot is flipping huge.

From the OP's list I'd go Volvo but that's mostly just because I've got an XC90 at the moment and love it.

I had previously looked at i40's and Mazda 6 too and both worth considering IMO.

Back