If you could support someone else, would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a six-month old son - he was born where we live, in Dubai, and he's yet to pay a visit to his father's hometown, Sunderland. His mother (no) is from Chelsea , and his uncle - my brother-in-law - brought him a Chelsea top when he was over visiting at Christmas. More a cheeky poke in the eye for me, truth be told, a bit of fun, but still, hugely offended, the top swiftly went in the bin.

Because my lad's Sunderland, like I am, and that'll be his team, handed down to him, from father to son. That's how football works. You can't pick your team - you're born into it.

So now's probably a good time to say - I'm sorry, son. I love you - but you're in for years and years of misery. Sure, there'll be the briefest of good times, derby wins, the (very) occasional cup run, but, on the whole, misery ensues. You'll be surrounded by plenty of other people, in the same boat, and you'll laugh, and joke, and sing songs, and have fun days out (usually accompanied with the words 'great day, crap game') - but you've got a lifetime of miserable football ahead.

And as much as I love you, and could have given you the easy way out - taken the blue pill, not the red - that's just not an option, I'm afraid. The Chelsea top stays in the bin.

I watched the game yesterday, and it was just awful - boring football, no chances, no clues, ideas, excitement - it was a slog (and that from the comfort of my settee). And I thought, why I am watching this? If this was a TV series, I'd have turned off and not come back after episode two.

But for all the people posting - and moaning, moaning like the world is ending - how many wish they supported a different club? How many would take the easier option if they could go back and choose all over again? Or for their family?

I'll be amazed if so much as one of you says yes.

I've got a six-month old son - he was born where we live, in Dubai, and he's yet to pay a visit to his father's hometown, Sunderland. His mother (no) is from Chelsea , and his uncle - my brother-in-law - brought him a Chelsea top when he was over visiting at Christmas. More a cheeky poke in the eye for me, truth be told, a bit of fun, but still, hugely offended, the top swiftly went in the bin.

Because my lad's Sunderland, like I am, and that'll be his team, handed down to him, from father to son. That's how football works. You can't pick your team - you're born into it.

So now's probably a good time to say - I'm sorry, son. I love you - but you're in for years and years of misery. Sure, there'll be the briefest of good times, derby wins, the (very) occasional cup run, but, on the whole, misery ensues. You'll be surrounded by plenty of other people, in the same boat, and you'll laugh, and joke, and sing songs, and have fun days out (usually accompanied with the words 'great day, crap game') - but you've got a lifetime of miserable football ahead.

And as much as I love you, and could have given you the easy way out - taken the blue pill, not the red - that's just not an option, I'm afraid. The Chelsea top stays in the bin.

I watched the game yesterday, and it was just awful - boring football, no chances, no clues, ideas, excitement - it was a slog (and that from the comfort of my settee). And I thought, why I am watching this? If this was a TV series, I'd have turned off and not come back after episode two.

But for all the people posting - and moaning, moaning like the world is ending - how many wish they supported a different club? How many would take the easier option if they could go back and choose all over again? Or for their family?

I'll be amazed if so much as one of you says yes.

If you think that's a tough decision to make think about how tough it's going to be when it's time to bring him form Dubai back to Pennywell!!!

My exiled marras have all said the same thing to their bairns. "You can support anyone you want kid but remember its hard enuff getting tickets to see Sunderland so I've no idea where I'd get Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd or Spurs ones from."
Worked every time.......the rotten bastards.

Of course he has to follow the lads, that's the rules, you support the team of your dad. You don't need to hoy out other footy tops though he's only a bairn :lol:. My bairns are 6 and 4 and have other footy tops but are Sunderland daft. Obviously they will never wear a mag top, that would go straight in the bin.

So why do you support us?

I didn't. Or wouldn't. And couldn't.
My Dad took me to the match when I was six (we were shit then to) I loved it and asked to go every week, but due to his job we couldn't. Finally when he could take me every week we were relegated to the third division (we were even shitter then) so what did we do, we got season tickets and travelled the country. When I got older Saturday was about going to the match with my mates. Mates drift away, so it's gone full circle and I now go to the match with my Dad again. We go away and I enjoy every minute. It's my team, my city and I couldn't give a monkey's about another club.

Its a no from me but after what Everton have done for Bradley ill have a soft spot for them from now on.

My Dad took me to the match when I was six (we were shit then to) I loved it and asked to go every week, but due to his job we couldn't. Finally when he could take me every week we were relegated to the third division (we were even shitter then) so what did we do, we got season tickets and travelled the country. When I got older Saturday was about going to the match with my mates. Mates drift away, so it's gone full circle and I now go to the match with my Dad again. We go away and I enjoy every minute. It's my team, my city and I couldn't give a monkey's about another club.

Class.

See - you think you have a choice, but you don't - it's part of your heritage. Sunderland AFC, man, part of who you are.

I reckon it's one of the last great traditions of the north east, you support who your Dad supports, it's not a choice, it's a birthright.

Being born into Sunderland is one of the things that makes our club great, well, probably the only thing that makes our club great at the minute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back