If you could change one or more things about the city centre

safcrob

Winger
what would it be?

I would have park lane station shut down, have a new station built next to the new civic and replace the old parklane with a supermarket or carpark.

Not bothered, I have no real use
I like whata happening across the Fire station way
That's fine for me
It would be canny if it jumped 50 years into 2022 for 18 year old drinkers like my son but can't see it somehow

Make it more commercially focussed in the city centre, move away from a retail focus. Keep the suburbs for residential.

Expand the cooperation between the council, the university and SAFC for infrastructure and building projects.

Expand the footprint of the city centre to include the riverside, the sheepfolds, the port and deptford.

Campaign for the city centre to be linked to the east coast mainline via the Durham coast line, upgrade this.

Plant trees in places like herrington park that offset the environmental impact of the centralised focus

Get a permanent business development and marketing teams to achieve these aims.

Demolish the Bridges and the tower blocks above it bar the new extension and the part in the newer building where the car park is on top of. That bit would look alright in a new development.

Last edited:
Make it more commercially focussed in the city centre, move away from a retail focus. Keep the suburbs for residential.

Expand the cooperation between the council, the university and SAFC for infrastructure and building projects.

Expand the footprint of the city centre to include the riverside, the sheepfolds, the port and deptford.

Campaign for the city centre to be linked to the east coast mainline via the Durham coast line, upgrade this.

Plant trees in places like herrington park that offset the environmental impact of the centralised focus

Get a permanent business development and marketing teams to achieve these aims.
Not sure why or how SAFC have any responsibility for the regeneration of the city centre. They’ve got everything they already need in Sunderland.

Demolish the Bridges and the tower blocks above it bar the new extension and the part in the newer building where the car park is on top of. That bit would look alright in a new development.

Aye, the bridges is the cause so all the lack of footfall in other parts.

I'd demolish that and the blocks and build a git huge park in the centre, maybe even linked up with mowbray park, then replace the lost retail there in all the empty units and areas around fawcett street, Sunnyside, park lane high street etc etc

Aye, the bridges is the cause so all the lack of footfall in other parts.

I'd demolish that and the blocks and build a git huge park in the centre, maybe even linked up with mowbray park, then replace the lost retail there in all the empty units and areas around fawcett street, Sunnyside, park lane high street etc etc

ngl I wasn't thinking a park. I was thinking replacing it with like a massive square which you could host events on connected to the arena at the far end (if it gets built). There's loads of stuff the North East is missing as none of the cities have the space to do it like a decent Christmas market, car shows, massive football fan zone in the Summer, some outdoor gigs etc etc. with bars all around it with outside seating areas. Millenium Square in Leeds is canny for it.

Then to the North and East have some retail to replace most of what's in the Bridges with a redone High Street there's probably enough space there (I wouldn't demolish Primark either). Fawcett street side of Sunderland should be housing I think it's a bit too big Sunderland now.

That couple of residential 1960s high-rise tower blocks smack in the city centre have had their day and should come down.

tell that to the people that have bought flats in there. They'll be thrilled :lol:
That couple of residential 1960s high-rise tower blocks smack in the city centre have had their day and should come down.
there's 3 blocks in central Sunderland. Its a lot of homes to demolish.

Last edited:
ngl I wasn't thinking a park. I was thinking replacing it with like a massive square which you could host events on connected to the arena at the far end (if it gets built). There's loads of stuff the North East is missing as none of the cities have the space to do it like a decent Christmas market, car shows, massive football fan zone in the Summer, some outdoor gigs etc etc. with bars all around it with outside seating areas. Millenium Square in Leeds is canny for it.

Then to the North and East have some retail to replace most of what's in the Bridges with a redone High Street there's probably enough space there (I wouldn't demolish Primark either). Fawcett street side of Sunderland should be housing I think it's a bit too big Sunderland now.

Aye. Just having been to Cardiff and Edinburgh recently it's amazing how having a huge lush green bit in the very centre is. I'd also love to tidy up and improve the Riverside walk as far as possible in both sides.

Back