If you’re going to Morecambe. The ha

As someone who has lived in Morecambe for 40 years and a regular visitor to Sunderland a previous season ticket holder I thought I’d give you a bit of a what’s what if you are visiting Tuesday. I live about a mile from the Globe Areana.

The only way to travel.
A1- A66- brough- Kirkby Stephen- tebay-m6- junction 34 swing off on the very tight bend and use the new by-pass. Follow signs for Morecambe. Leave the by-pass at the McDonald’s and head for Morecambe. When you come to the roundabout you tune left and follow that road for about a mile and the globe is on your right hand side behind a pub called the Hurley Flyer.

Parking.
Just before the ground there is a school and match day parking is there. Think it’s about 5 quid. There are loads of off street parking but there is a street where everyone parks but this has been totally shut. If you get there early, you can actually park on the road next to the ground.
Plenty of options, no need to worry.

Pubs.
If you go into Morecambe. Queen street is about the best. But it ain’t like the past you may have been. It’s rough. Won’t be on a Tuesday. Nice pub top of queen street called the palatine really nice food.
There is a Wetherspoons in the centre. Smells of piss but don’t they all.
There are a couple of nice pubs on the front. The crown and the Royal and the big pub the kings is closed having an overhaul.

Near the ground.
At the roundabout on westgate there is a carvery called the tobey carvery.
Further up half way there is a decent pub called the William Mitchell. Not great food.
Then there is the Hurley flyer right outside the club but food ain’t good, it will be packed.
The ground itself I’d recommend going to the place where it says grill, it’s ok in there old fashioned anyone can go in but it gets packed.
There is a caravan park across and one slightly up. These open on a match day and supposed to be cheap beer and good craic. I’ve never been so don’t know.

Morecambe fans.
You’ll love them. Not a bad bone in their body, will love to see the atmosphere and will be extremely friendly.
No dick heads but may attract some with it being big game but very much doubt it.
Warning. There is a drum and a trumpeter. You’ll drown them out.

The manager
Hated him as a player. Has mellowed and matured. He’s a top lad and will be in the bar after. Always speaks and is a funny fucker. His assistant ken McKenna comes across as a mad fooker. Both scousers. Decent lads. The chairman has just stepped down.
The manager has had no money to spend in years. He’s done a great job with loans and shrewd buys.

After the game.
If you hide your shirt, anyone can go to the corporate entrance and go up the stairs to the bars. You’ll get to see the man of the match awards and mix with the Morecambe players.

The team
Mixed. Awaful start for them but have had a couple of wins which has dug them out of the bottom. They seem to did out results and have heard they are playing well.
The fans started to call for Jim Bentleys head (he’s the longest serving league manager) but this has calmed of late.

The stewards
Really fair. They will have a real banter with you. Mess about though and I’m not joking, they won’t mess about. They will fill you in there and then. There will be little police presence but they will sort it out.
They will bend over backwards for you. Few years ago another north east team came and a few had tickets for the home end. They rounded them up and located them in a paddock. They will throw you out if you’re a dick, fill you in if you are aggressive, help you if needed.
That goes for the home fans too.

Neil Wainwright.
He is one of the coaches there you may have seen his only appearance if your old. He loves to say he played for us. He didn’t really but I’m sure he will be there. Probably in his kit.

Things to do.
Not much in your time.
Loads get their picture taken with the Eric Morecambe statue on the promenade.
Lancaster is a good option. Lovely historical place. Half decent shopping and few pubs.
Lancaster is about 6 mile from the ground. If that.

Places to stay.
Loads. The best options are the midland hotel, or the Morecambe hotel. Two decent places but it will be costly.
Travelodge or the hundred of bed and breakfasts.
Lots of nice places in Lancaster too.

I love living here. It’s a pain the travel, about 2 and a half hours. But it’s a nice friendly place.

Hope you enjoy your trip, it’s something I’ve been waiting all my life for.

Blackburn used to have their under 21s at Christie Park and Sunderland used to play there but this is the next best thing to it being real.

I hope you have a superb journey and enjoy my town. Love to hear your thoughts on in. Positive and negative. I’ve got corporate tickets coz I’m posh. I’ll post up you singing.

Good write up and evoked some good memories.

I spent 7 years in Lancaster from 93-00. Was at LRGS and had a great time there. Still keep in touch with old school friends and they say both Morecambe and Lancaster has changed drastically since then. Used to work in Walkabout in Dalton Square and got in the Friary, Merchants, Blob Shop etc. Cracking place to spend time as a teenager, both Morecambe (Frontier Land and The Carleton nightclub) and Lancaster!

Good write up and evoked some good memories.

I spent 7 years in Lancaster from 93-00. Was at LRGS and had a great time there. Still keep in touch with old school friends and they say both Morecambe and Lancaster has changed drastically since then. Used to work in Walkabout in Dalton Square and got in the Friary, Merchants, Blob Shop etc. Cracking place to spend time as a teenager, both Morecambe (Frontier Land and The Carleton nightclub) and Lancaster!

Cracking pubs. Ye Old John O Gaunt as well.

The Carlton was a hole, but a good night out. Gone now.

29 pubs in 1/2 mile radius, great boozing stop, penny bank pub one-off the cheapest bars around

The Water Witch if you wanted to impress a lass. Or the Borough if you were loaded. There was another cracking ale pub where the Pendle Witches were supposed to have had their last drink, but can I fuck remember what it's called.

The moral of this thread is, if ya getting down Morecambe early, stop at Lancaster. :lol:

The Water Witch if you wanted to impress a lass. Or the Borough if you were loaded. There was another cracking ale pub where the Pendle Witches were supposed to have had their last drink, but can I fuck remember what it's called.

The moral of this thread is, if ya getting down Morecambe early, stop at Lancaster. :lol:

Give yourself loads of time, traffic can be a nightmare around that one way system at peak times.

anyone know what the crack is with the next round draw, if we get through?

seem to remember it being regional up to the semi final?
what round is the next round (i.e how many teams left in it?)
when is the draw?
and when is the next round matches?
and is it a 2 legged affair in the next rounds? thanks

The Water Witch was a great pub, as was the one further up the river towards the cathedral, think it was called the White Cross. We'd get in there after a rugby match in the 6th form and make our way into town via Corners Sports Bar, The Alex, one of those Scream bars, Pennybank. Great city for pubs 98-00.

parking is easy. loads of street parking on the road from the ground heading into town (Regent Park). we parked in Osborne Road last time. Pub called "The Exchange" is spot on been on both visits when watching Pools. 10 minute walk from the ground, straight road. easy

It’s actually back. I spent my youth there Thursday and Sunday.

Be ok if you use the by pass.

Yup for Morecambe, but the guys were talking about staying in Lancaster for a few bevies.BTW my daughter lives in Lancaster and my grandson's a DJ in a night club there, so know it fairly well.

seem to remember it being regional up to the semi final? Yes, regional to the Final I think, but definately for the first two knockout rounds
what round is the next round (i.e how many teams left in it?) Second Round (32 teams left)
when is the draw? Don't Know
and when is the next round matches?Tuesday 4th December
and is it a 2 legged affair in the next rounds? thanks, One off ties all the way to Final with no extra time

That's as much as I know.

Last edited:

seem to remember it being regional up to the semi final?
what round is the next round (i.e how many teams left in it?)
when is the draw?
and when is the next round matches?
and is it a 2 legged affair in the next rounds? thanks
Might be wrong but believe only semis are two legged

As someone who has lived in Morecambe for 40 years and a regular visitor to Sunderland a previous season ticket holder I thought I’d give you a bit of a what’s what if you are visiting Tuesday. I live about a mile from the Globe Areana.

The only way to travel.
A1- A66- brough- Kirkby Stephen- tebay-m6- junction 34 swing off on the very tight bend and use the new by-pass. Follow signs for Morecambe. Leave the by-pass at the McDonald’s and head for Morecambe. When you come to the roundabout you tune left and follow that road for about a mile and the globe is on your right hand side behind a pub called the Hurley Flyer.

Parking.
Just before the ground there is a school and match day parking is there. Think it’s about 5 quid. There are loads of off street parking but there is a street where everyone parks but this has been totally shut. If you get there early, you can actually park on the road next to the ground.
Plenty of options, no need to worry.

Pubs.
If you go into Morecambe. Queen street is about the best. But it ain’t like the past you may have been. It’s rough. Won’t be on a Tuesday. Nice pub top of queen street called the palatine really nice food.
There is a Wetherspoons in the centre. Smells of piss but don’t they all.
There are a couple of nice pubs on the front. The crown and the Royal and the big pub the kings is closed having an overhaul.

Near the ground.
At the roundabout on westgate there is a carvery called the tobey carvery.
Further up half way there is a decent pub called the William Mitchell. Not great food.
Then there is the Hurley flyer right outside the club but food ain’t good, it will be packed.
The ground itself I’d recommend going to the place where it says grill, it’s ok in there old fashioned anyone can go in but it gets packed.
There is a caravan park across and one slightly up. These open on a match day and supposed to be cheap beer and good craic. I’ve never been so don’t know.

Morecambe fans.
You’ll love them. Not a bad bone in their body, will love to see the atmosphere and will be extremely friendly.
No dick heads but may attract some with it being big game but very much doubt it.
Warning. There is a drum and a trumpeter. You’ll drown them out.

The manager
Hated him as a player. Has mellowed and matured. He’s a top lad and will be in the bar after. Always speaks and is a funny fucker. His assistant ken McKenna comes across as a mad fooker. Both scousers. Decent lads. The chairman has just stepped down.
The manager has had no money to spend in years. He’s done a great job with loans and shrewd buys.

After the game.
If you hide your shirt, anyone can go to the corporate entrance and go up the stairs to the bars. You’ll get to see the man of the match awards and mix with the Morecambe players.

The team
Mixed. Awaful start for them but have had a couple of wins which has dug them out of the bottom. They seem to did out results and have heard they are playing well.
The fans started to call for Jim Bentleys head (he’s the longest serving league manager) but this has calmed of late.

The stewards
Really fair. They will have a real banter with you. Mess about though and I’m not joking, they won’t mess about. They will fill you in there and then. There will be little police presence but they will sort it out.
They will bend over backwards for you. Few years ago another north east team came and a few had tickets for the home end. They rounded them up and located them in a paddock. They will throw you out if you’re a dick, fill you in if you are aggressive, help you if needed.
That goes for the home fans too.

Neil Wainwright.
He is one of the coaches there you may have seen his only appearance if your old. He loves to say he played for us. He didn’t really but I’m sure he will be there. Probably in his kit.

Things to do.
Not much in your time.
Loads get their picture taken with the Eric Morecambe statue on the promenade.
Lancaster is a good option. Lovely historical place. Half decent shopping and few pubs.
Lancaster is about 6 mile from the ground. If that.

Places to stay.
Loads. The best options are the midland hotel, or the Morecambe hotel. Two decent places but it will be costly.
Travelodge or the hundred of bed and breakfasts.
Lots of nice places in Lancaster too.

I love living here. It’s a pain the travel, about 2 and a half hours. But it’s a nice friendly place.

Hope you enjoy your trip, it’s something I’ve been waiting all my life for.

Blackburn used to have their under 21s at Christie Park and Sunderland used to play there but this is the next best thing to it being real.

I hope you have a superb journey and enjoy my town. Love to hear your thoughts on in. Positive and negative. I’ve got corporate tickets coz I’m posh. I’ll post up you singing.
I’m gonna read it on the way down
Take the best part of the journey

Back