If we go up, who would you see starting next season??

The threads about interest in 09 and Hume, as well as an earlier thread this week about so many players being out of contract at the end of the season got me thinking .... who out of the current team would you keep in a championship team and where would you strengthen.

assuming we are playing the current formation I’d be ok with J. Mc in goal. Willis in defence and the two wingbacks. I’d also be ok with Gooch and McGuire (on current form) and that’s probably it.

The other current first teamers I’d keep as back up as well as the kids but that leaves us needing a striker, two central defenders, two midfielders.

I’d let go all the others currently warming the bench.

That’s at least £30m for good championship quality players. Whilst I’m desperate for us to go up we’ve got no chance of having a go anytime soon in the championship if we don’t get new investment.

Bit previous mate!

The current team can barely cope with life in League One. It is only now they have shown some growing aptitude to play at this level and not be beaten by worse than below average talent. I would be terrified of letting them loose in the Championship. They would be outmatched and outclassed in every way. I fear most players at Championship level would not need to break sweat and get out of first gear to beat them. The Championship is so very strong in class and quality.
You're trying too hard now, Flav.

Early days. I will come back and say we are a totally changed side to the last God knows how many years, the exact polar opposite of everything we were till a few weeks ago, if we win all of our next say 4-5 games.

You go to a hypnotist and he get's you on stage and convinces you that you are a chicken or something. Usually the hypnotist snaps his fingers and you wake up. It's like one took the whole team and told them they weren't a team. That they don't know how to play as a team. They can't find one single effective plan to beat a side. All confidence and belief has gone. Only he didn't snap his fingers and wake them up. Because for years that is the sort of team we were. Clueless in every department. We couldn't run, defend, tackle, pass, create or score. We were all over the place. We failed in every game to find a single strategy that could beat the opposition. But about 2-3 weeks ago we woke up. We suddenly realized we could do those things and do them well.

But it is early days. Average teams can win 3 and draw 3 out of a run of 6. We will have flipped over from everything we used to be once we make that run a bit longer. If we are still winning by the end of February we will give ourselves a decent half chance of considering ourselves able to contend for promotion. Which nobody could have said about us. And the mags will start to have one almighty strop.

Denver Hume has something and could develop into a very good player. Other than him with the possible exception of the onion man, Willis and our keeper I am struggling to think of anyone that would be comfortable at the next level. And yes I have seen the last 2 home games and can see the improvement in Wyke Dobson and Gooch.

If it’s none, so be it, safc will continue. If it’s all of them so be it, safc will continue

then in about two years we go around the circle again.

Regardless of how many we 'need' for a really good run at the championship next year would be a finding our feet season anyway.

As others have suggested. I'd keep the full 1st team and a few almosts and kids around the squad. We should be a big enough draw to get 4 or 5 good championship level players in who would be expected to start.

1st team should be:

Mclaughlin

New signing New signing Willis

O'nein. Dobson. New signing Hume

New signing. Gooch

New signing

A sensible club would then add 1 or 2 in January and see where they were at the end of the season.

We need 10 players of championship quality if we get promoted. getting them however is another thing entirely.

I think McLaughlin, Willis, Hume, Gooch and O'Nien would be fine in the Championship. Not sure Flanagan, Ozturk, Power, Dobson or Wyke are up to standard.

Long and short of it, we need major surgery on teh squad
Tend to agree with this marra, fuck know what category you'd put Maguire though. Anywhere from the national league to the premier league depending on what day of the week it is :eek:

Back