If we go up, who would you see starting next season??

safccfas

Winger
The threads about interest in 09 and Hume, as well as an earlier thread this week about so many players being out of contract at the end of the season got me thinking .... who out of the current team would you keep in a championship team and where would you strengthen.

assuming we are playing the current formation I’d be ok with J. Mc in goal. Willis in defence and the two wingbacks. I’d also be ok with Gooch and McGuire (on current form) and that’s probably it.

The other current first teamers I’d keep as back up as well as the kids but that leaves us needing a striker, two central defenders, two midfielders.

I’d let go all the others currently warming the bench.

That’s at least £30m for good championship quality players. Whilst I’m desperate for us to go up we’ve got no chance of having a go anytime soon in the championship if we don’t get new investment.

The current team can barely cope with life in League One. It is only now they have shown some growing aptitude to play at this level and not be beaten by worse than below average talent. I would be terrified of letting them loose in the Championship. They would be outmatched and outclassed in every way. I fear most players at Championship level would not need to break sweat and get out of first gear to beat them. The Championship is so very strong in class and quality.

Either of the 'keepers would manage, O'Nien and Hume would be fine. Dobson will be a year older and more experienced, so may be okay, as might Gooch. Willis, maybe. Ozturk, maybe as the fifth CB. Realistically, we'd need buy 10 or 11 players who are better than we currently have to get a decent Championship squad.

Going up we would need a settled side with a couple of additions, from defence into midfield and centre forward. we also need to keep hold of our better youngsters like Hume O'Nien and Gooch as well. Although i was never a fan of P.P getting the job i admire the work he is doing on the squad at the moment getting them whipped into shape on the field and their fitness levels.

Either of the 'keepers would manage, O'Nien and Hume would be fine. Dobson will be a year older and more experienced, so may be okay, as might Gooch. Willis, maybe. Ozturk, maybe as the fifth CB. Realistically, we'd need buy 10 or 11 players who are better than we currently have to get a decent Championship squad.

quite daunting when you thinking about how much improvement we would still need

We should have been preparing for the championship last season. The owners have tried to do it quickly to flip the club. The “Dortmund model” never happened. The squad is nowhere near championship ready.

You'd think Willis and Jon McLaughlin would make the step up, maybe Gooch.

O'Nien, Hume, maybe Dobson will end up there in time anyway if they keep improving the way they have.

Power, Lynch and Flanagan have all played there but just found themselves down the pecking order at their respective teams. None were described as being awful when they signed for us.

Then you're taking a leap of faith with the rest. Ozturk is still slow and clumsy. There are games Wyke struggles at this level. The less said about Grigg the better.

Then again, we got good results against Burnley and Sheffield Utd this season with Jack Baldwin on the pitch so who knows.

The threads about interest in 09 and Hume, as well as an earlier thread this week about so many players being out of contract at the end of the season got me thinking .... who out of the current team would you keep in a championship team and where would you strengthen.

assuming we are playing the current formation I’d be ok with J. Mc in goal. Willis in defence and the two wingbacks. I’d also be ok with Gooch and McGuire (on current form) and that’s probably it.

The other current first teamers I’d keep as back up as well as the kids but that leaves us needing a striker, two central defenders, two midfielders.

I’d let go all the others currently warming the bench.

That’s at least £30m for good championship quality players. Whilst I’m desperate for us to go up we’ve got no chance of having a go anytime soon in the championship if we don’t get new investment.
I think McLaughlin, Willis, Hume, Gooch and O'Nien would be fine in the Championship. Not sure Flanagan, Ozturk, Power, Dobson or Wyke are up to standard.

Long and short of it, we need major surgery on teh squad

Makes me laugh threads like this, let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves here. There’s a good chance we’ll still be in league one next season.
Not a bad thread the lad has clearly stated if and not when. Now Parkinson has sorted out a few issues with some players fitness or should i say lack of fitness you would'nt back against ourselves getting promotion. There is a long way to go from now to the end of the season but myself and a few others on here are more optimistic now than 6 weeks ago.

If the current starters are good enough to get us to an automatic spot I’d keep the lot of them as a reward for their hard work. Championship money is getting stupid and the ship still is listing. I would not sell any of the players that are being targeted by other clubs. At some point we have to hang on to skilled players and start to build a team ethos. Still a very long way to go so lets get our heads up and grind this fucker out.
HTL

Back