If we go top on Saturday.....

You know I don't know where you get - 'miles ahead' - I've seen all home and most away this season, I'd suggest we have the edge above many in this league, but often have struggled to show that edge. We've been lucky on many occasions - I call it lucky, others would say otherwise - I just hope we remain lucky and don't get caught out - Doncaster should have been 2 up against us in the first half, only their poor finishing said otherwise. Loads of examples this season and I keep hearing - 'when we hit top gear' - we have not yet, other than the first half against Posh - and we are nearly half way through the season. I want us to win every game as do us all, but for me we need to be more ruthless to be 'miles ahead'.
but ALL teams in this league are poor finishers..perhaps except us...the reason those strikers are playing in this league is they need multiple chances to score..and they dont get enough of them from us to score...one division higher the strikers need fewer chances to score..and in the prem..generally need one chance to score...so it isnt luck..its the level we are at..

The Portsmouth fans and players will be thinking WTF do we have to do? Their start to the season has been incredible and come Sat they may well be losing top spot. The psychological impact will not be lost.
Personally, I'm still fine with joint top after 17 games and a game in hand on most teams. We've played and beaten most of the top teams, we've lost one game and it generally takes a hell of an effort for teams to score against us. More than that, there's a really good team spirit at the club, and a feeling that we're resilient whatever happens.

I won't be getting dejected until we play Charlton, Barnsley and Sunderland in a row next month and don't win any of them.

Personally, I'm still fine with joint top after 17 games and a game in hand on most teams. We've played and beaten most of the top teams, we've lost one game and it generally takes a hell of an effort for teams to score against us. More than that, there's a really good team spirit at the club, and a feeling that we're resilient whatever happens.

I won't be getting dejected until we play Charlton, Barnsley and Sunderland in a row next month and don't win any of them.

I know a few of your fans and the general consensus is that yous aren't playing well and are grinding out results/hanging on in some games. Is that your view too?

I know a few of your fans and the general consensus is that yous aren't playing well and are grinding out results/hanging on in some games. Is that your view too?
I think we're executing our game plan well, which is to play patient football and get more chances to score than the opposition. We're not blowing teams away, but equally we've not looked second best to any team at any point this season. A lot of the complaints is becausd our away form is way better than our home form and because we labour to make ourselves comfortable in games - it's been a while since we went two ahead in the league and that means we have to grind out a lot of games. Overall, though, it'd be churlish to complain about being top in November.

I think we're executing our game plan well, which is to play patient football and get more chances to score than the opposition. We're not blowing teams away, but equally we've not looked second best to any team at any point this season. A lot of the complaints is becausd our away form is way better than our home form and because we labour to make ourselves comfortable in games - it's been a while since we went two ahead in the league and that means we have to grind out a lot of games. Overall, though, it'd be churlish to complain about being top in November.

That's what I said to them a few weeks ago when I was down there.

The Portsmouth fans and players will be thinking WTF do we have to do? Their start to the season has been incredible and come Sat they may well be losing top spot. The psychological impact will not be lost.
They'll be broken men, suddenly gripped, paralyzed by a full-on existential crisis. They'll be bereft of all hope and life will lose all meaning. Even watching Coronation Street will prove to be a joyless activity for them henceforth.

would be useful to start knacking teams at home so we hoy youngsters on second half but it doesn't seem to be that sort of league ?

Me too, it would be great if we were comfortable.
That said I’d still be waiting some sort of Sunderland collapse, or a 20 point deduction for having the corner flags facing the wrong way :lol:
Was thinking the same actually.... If there's one thing I've learned being a Sunderland fan - don't count your chickens!

Back