If the Euros started tomorrow, what would England's XI be?

Id like to see them both okay together. Big, skilful lads and tremendous players
I too wouldn't mind seeing those two together. Sometimes they look ineffective but that's because people double up on them, teams couldn't do that of they were both in the same team which would always give one of them space.

Pickford

A.Arnold - Maguire - Mings - Chilwell

Henderson - O.Chamberlain

Maddison

Sterling - Kane - Rashford​

Yes that's the 11 i have in my head as well, but for southgate its going to be down to tactics and how he want's to play the opening game, and i think he would go with Winks and Henderson as the deep lying midfielders, agreed on Maddison and the rest.

Pickford
TAA - Stones - Maguire - Chilwell
Winks
Henderson - Barkley
Sterling -------------------------- Rashford
Kane​

That's what I think Southgate would go for.

Bit of light relief to take our minds of everything SAFC related.

I'm going for:

Kane
Rashford ------ Sterling

Alli -- Ox-Chamberlain
Henderson

Chilwell - Stones - Maguire - Alex-Arnold

Pickford​

Class team.

Apart from the minging centre-backs that is.

I think he may be tempted by Winks for Chamberlain, mind - with Henderson shifting across. He likes Ox for sure, but I think if you want the best out of Alli you need to give him the freedom to run beyond Kane, which probably means Winks and Henderson as midfielders who can adapt on the pitch from single to double pivot as required.

We won't win because it's too soon for the likes of Tomori and Gomez to come through and do something about a defence that isn't good enough. Also, we are still probably crying out for a Foden type player, also not ready.

We'll peak in Qatar and the tournament after imo.

Last edited:
Class team.

Apart from the minging centre-backs that is.

I think he may be tempted by Winks for Chamberlain, mind - with Henderson shifting across. He likes Ox for sure, but I think if you want the best out of Alli you need to give him the freedom to run beyond Kane, which probably means Winks and Henderson as midfielders who can adapt on the pitch from single to double pivot as required.

We won't win because it's too soon for the likes of Tomori and Gomez to come through and do something about a defence that isn't good enough. Also, we are still probably crying out for a Foden type player, also not ready.

We'll peak in Qatar and the tournament after imo.
I agree pretty much word for word. I think with his comments regarding Ox he's one of the first names on his team sheet when fit. The defense isn't great but France won the world cup with a defense that is far from world class. I don't see him deploying a double pivot unless he wants to include mount or maddison. But yeah Qatar is the one really, if the young players continue on their current trajectory and and you factor in that it'll be the likes of Kane, Alli and Sterling's 4th or 5th tournament we should have a real shot in 2022.

I agree pretty much word for word. I think with his comments regarding Ox he's one of the first names on his team sheet when fit. The defense isn't great but France won the world cup with a defense that is far from world class. I don't see him deploying a double pivot unless he wants to include mount or maddison. But yeah Qatar is the one really, if the young players continue on their current trajectory and and you factor in that it'll be the likes of Kane, Alli and Sterling's 4th or 5th tournament we should have a real shot in 2022.

If you look at all of those three young attacking midfielders - Mount, Maddison, Alli - then you would have to say that each probably prefers playing in a double pivot midfield. However, for the rest of the team and the wider tactics, single pivot is a better formation (and, imo, better generally).

That's why I think he prefers Mount at the moment, because he seems best adapted to dropping in. I think he likes the Ox too for the same reason. And, if he gets some game time at City, its why Foden is the missing ingredient. I could therefore easily see the Qatar midfield as: Foden-Henderson-Chamberlain. But for this tournament, I expect he will shift Henderson as one of the eights, precisely because he has the game intelligence to drop into a double pivot when Alli, Maddison or Mount pushes on. With Henderson their and Winks as the holder, you still line up single pivot, but you give a little more freedom to those players to express themselves and get beyond the strikers.

Personally, I think Alli is worth persisiting with - and I have been defending him a lot in recent months. But his understanding with Kane is a very important potential weapon in lieu of a creative player. I'd definitely be using the next few friendlies to road-test a Henderson-Alli-Chamberlain single pivot midfield.

Any ideas what we do with the defence - it'll cost us the f***ing tournament imo. He could switch to wingbacks - Gomez, Stones and Tomori is a balanced back three and probably all three of them are better in that system. But then you blunt us a bit going forward and certainly creatively as you'd have to line up with probably Henderson and Winks as your two midfielders. Maguire and Stones in a two is the stuff of nightmares, mind

I kind of hope somebody signs Rice this summer and reconverts him to a centre half.

I reckon...

Pickford

Chilwell Maguire Mings Alexander-arnold

Henderson Alli Maddison/winks

Sterling Kane Sancho

Wonder if it'd be worth recalling Vardy? Sure he'd fancy another euros

Pickford

Alexander-Arnold
Stones
Maguire
Chilwell

Winks

Henderson
Oxlade Chamberlain

Sterling
Kane
Rashford

That was if it was starting now. By end of season I would think Alli would have done enough probably to replace Henderson or Oxlade Chamberlain wo would be the two ahead of Winks.
Pickford
TAA - Stones - Maguire - Chilwell
Winks
Henderson - Barkley
Sterling -------------------------- Rashford
Kane​

That's what I think Southgate would go for.
ALmost - Barkley won't be ahead of a fir Oxlade Chamberlain imo

Back