If the club wasn't named sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we get another Edinburgh club in the league it has to be Spartans surely? Their set up is more professional than some SPL clubs.

There are play offs this year to see who is in league 2 next year.

Bottom of league 2 vs. Winner of highland league (Brora leading last time I looked) / winner of lowland league (Edinburgh City currently leading)

There are play offs this year to see who is in league 2 next year.

Bottom of league 2 vs. Winner of highland league (Brora leading last time I looked) / winner of lowland league (Edinburgh City currently leading)
Hadn't realised that. I knew there was talk of expanding the league again so was assuming it would be an application and ballot system again.

Last edited:
They might be, but the name of the city doesn't appear in either of their names, much as no teams in the capital use London in their team names, regardless of some foreign types referring to "London Arsenal" etc.
A did'nt nar that like .

None of the Glasgow clubs actually have Glasgow in their titles - Celtic, Rangers, Queen's Park, Clyde, Partick Thistle. Then there's Ross County, St Mirren, St Johnstone, Raith Rovers, Albion Rovers, East Fife.

Greenock Morton were just Morton until 1994 too. More historically, you had teams in the top flight like Renton (Dumbarton), Vale of Leven (Alexandria) and Third Lanark (Glasgow).
Love jock footy me like . When I was working up there I had a tour round all the league grounds .

Last edited:
Hadn't realised that. I knew there was talk of expanding the league again so was assuming it would be an application and ballot system again.

It could become a bit of a farce to be honest. Brora are generally regarded as the best team of the 3 but there are rumours that they don't want to join the league due to travel costs.

East Stirlingshire and Queen of the South can be added to that list also.
Aye, I'd left East Stirlingshire out of it, only on the basis that whilst it didn't have the town it plays or played in its name, it does technically play in East Stirlingshire, but it probably should be in the list. QotS - I just forgot about them! ;)

This thread diverged into a debate on Scottish naming convention, tbh I'm struggling to see the difference between the naming of Partick Thistle based on part of Glasgow against Aston Villa part of Birmingham. No Glasgow club has Glasgow the largest city in it, erm no London club has London, the largest city, in it.

Naming comes down to competition and survival - in Scotland the Dundee /Dundee United model wasn't very popular and more local/industry/river/area names tended to appear as teams emerged (Albion Rovers was named after the vehicle plant, kept their name where Singers FC opted to change to Coventry, as did Thames Ironworks, but they kept their nickname - "Hammers"). The ones that survived the early years largely clung on to their original names in Scotland, less so in England.. Seems in England the Bristol City/Bristol Rovers model wasn't as disliked and multiple use of the same town was also more common as an approach. Then either some go to the wall or they merge (Newcastle East and West for example). The OP wasn't entirely wrong about Edinburgh though with Hibs name being based named on the Irish connection being pretty rare as an approach (though Everton started as St Domingo's a church team) - Hearts is actually a geographic one though with both the Heart of Midlothian existing and it being the 'centre' of the old county.

In terms of Sunderland, as someone has said there were Sunderland (Sunderland and District Teachers) and Sunderland Albion, better left at that for purests, but whatever outcome the survivor was likely to be "Sunderland" - had our founder gone with Hendon Academicals or just plain Hendon then perhaps that name would have survived, who knows, Newton Heath and Dial Square didn't, but Aston Villa did...

This thread diverged into a debate on Scottish naming convention, tbh I'm struggling to see the difference between the naming of Partick Thistle based on part of Glasgow against Aston Villa part of Birmingham. No Glasgow club has Glasgow the largest city in it, erm no London club has London, the largest city, in it.

Naming comes down to competition and survival - in Scotland the Dundee /Dundee United model wasn't very popular and more local/industry/river/area names tended to appear as teams emerged (Albion Rovers was named after the vehicle plant, kept their name where Singers FC opted to change to Coventry, as did Thames Ironworks, but they kept their nickname - "Hammers"). The ones that survived the early years largely clung on to their original names in Scotland, less so in England.. Seems in England the Bristol City/Bristol Rovers model wasn't as disliked and multiple use of the same town was also more common as an approach. Then either some go to the wall or they merge (Newcastle East and West for example). The OP wasn't entirely wrong about Edinburgh though with Hibs name being based named on the Irish connection being pretty rare as an approach (though Everton started as St Domingo's a church team) - Hearts is actually a geographic one though with both the Heart of Midlothian existing and it being the 'centre' of the old county.

In terms of Sunderland, as someone has said there were Sunderland (Sunderland and District Teachers) and Sunderland Albion, better left at that for purests, but whatever outcome the survivor was likely to be "Sunderland" - had our founder gone with Hendon Academicals or just plain Hendon then perhaps that name would have survived, who knows, Newton Heath and Dial Square didn't, but Aston Villa did...

Most of them are just shit examples.

Turriff could still catch them but I can't see Brora dropping the points. Would be canny if Wick go up next season :lol:

It would be good if Turriff did catch them - Brora 'bought' the Highland League title - wealthy owner filling the team with ageing, former professionals who are still good enough at that level - but it's not going to benefit them in the long run or develop future talent. They're not even that good - watched them last weekend and wasn't hugely impressed by them - only by the size of the centre half (think Steve Bruce proportions!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back