If Sunderland got flooded

Pretty sure bottom of dykelands road used to flood (there's a picture in queens cafe) not sure if it's costal flooding .
Was in looe a couple of weeks ago and that flooded one morning with extremely high tide.
Dykelands floods from the Dene at the bottom of Mere Knowles cema. Hast happened for a while so they may have put new drainage in when they built the new houses there

One year when I was at school we got sent on a cross country run and ended up swimming in it for a laugh

Did that have something to do with the stream that runs from the cemetery flooding and the floodgates to the beach being shut?
Not sure sorry,
Seen it flooded outside latermiers/fisherman's cottages at whitburn one night due to that culvert? thing in the park over the road being blocked up with weeds/rubbish etc. So the ditch filled up with water running of the fields and spilled onto coast road flooding that .

Which parts would get worst affected and which least?
The bits under the most water would be most affected, and the bits that are not underwater would be least affected. I am assuming here btw, and it may not reflect the actual situation, or be at all factual. I live on the durham city skyline so would probably be able to see the events unfold... on a clear day.

And that's just the normal flooding. Localised flooding can happen in some unusual places.
You'd think on the side of a hill wouldn't be a risk at all. But about 15-ish years back the was a village in one of the southern or Welsh areas that was devastated by localised flooding. Iirc, top of the village had a car park with a surrounding brick wall. This filled up and burst through the wall sending a torrent through the village.Was in the news. Can't recall the name of the place.
Boscastle.

I actually used to wonder this when I was a bairn, would I be far enough up the hill to survive if a flood/tsunami hit Seaburn

Mind I also used to wonder if a nuclear bomb fell on the centre of Newcastle would I be outside the blast zone 😂
As a bairn I used to pray a bomb would drop on Newcastle 😬

I actually used to wonder this when I was a bairn, would I be far enough up the hill to survive if a flood/tsunami hit Seaburn

Mind I also used to wonder if a nuclear bomb fell on the centre of Newcastle would I be outside the blast zone 😂
Depends on the size of the bomb and where you are. According to this, you'd need to be as far south as Ripon to avoid 3rd degree burns if a Tsar Bomba was detonated in the toon.

Warped little bugger
Think it was just being at a time when their seemed to be loads of disaster films coming.

The nuclear bomb thing came from me seeing this map of what would happen if a bomb dropped on the centre of Newcastle and there were various circles drawn showing the areas affected by the varying consequences of the blast. The outside radius went right through the middle of my house but the line was quite thick so I used to wonder if I would be on the inside or outside of it and depending on what I was doing or where I was, could I get to the other side of the line if I heard the 4 minutes warning 😁
As a bairn I used to pray a bomb would drop on Newcastle 😬
As a bairn 🤔😁
Depends on the size of the bomb and where you are. According to this, you'd need to be as far south as Ripon to avoid 3rd degree burns if a Tsar Bomba was detonated in the toon.
This was the 70's like so maybe the bombs were smaller 🤷‍♂️

Dunno like just remember seeing the map and a 12 mile radius seems to stick in my mind.

I used to think if I was down the seafront I could run into the sea and duck underwater when it went off and maybe that would save me 😁

Last edited:
And that's just the normal flooding. Localised flooding can happen in some unusual places.
You'd think on the side of a hill wouldn't be a risk at all. But about 15-ish years back the was a village in one of the southern or Welsh areas that was devastated by localised flooding. Iirc, top of the village had a car park with a surrounding brick wall. This filled up and burst through the wall sending a torrent through the village.Was in the news. Can't recall the name of the place.
I was once stuck in Consett (the day the Newcastle Quayside flooded) due to a flood at Pontop Pike (highest point in the region). I decided to skirt it by going down the Lanchester, which was completely underwater, and back up to Annfield Plain.
Driving back up the hill, the water was coming out of the fields culverts so hard it was like a foot diameter tube. The whole road was underwater and it’s one of the steepest around. I was genuinely in fear of being washed away.

Sunderland’s average elevation is 80m above sea level.
So unless there’s a tsunami any flooding will be localised from saturated ground from rainfall

Back