If people from Sunderland are known as mackems.

Insecurity. They hate what they are and where they're from and wish they were born in Newcastle. I bet there's plenty of daft twats from the likes of Darlington who claim they're Geordies when they go abroad. I bet they even put on a faux Geordie accent.

Insecurity about what?

Why can't you be proud of where you are from and where you grow up?

Maybe I am just the wrong age, as I was at school when the mags nearly won the league, was about 3 Sunderland fans in my class, despite the fact the river wear runs past our school

To be fair when I go abroad it usually goes, "I'm from Durham", "near Sunderland", "Thats near Newcastle", does my f***ing head in

I just say now that I live in Durham, 30 mins from Scotland, seems to cover all bases

Insecurity about what?

Maybe I am just the wrong age, as I was at school when the mags nearly won the league, was about 3 Sunderland fans in my class, despite the fact the river wear runs past our school

To be fair when I go abroad it usually goes, "I'm from Durham", "near Sunderland", "Thats near Newcastle", does my f***ing head in

I just say now that I live in Durham, 30 mins from Scotland, seems to cover all bases

I just say I'm from Sunderland and they go "must be a nightmare having mags as neighbours" and that's about it.

Nobody knows where the fuck it is unless they follow football like, well the lasses anyway

Never tell lasses where you're from anyway, last thing you want is a nutjob stalker. And if its a bloke, and he doesnt follow football you wouldnt want to talk to him anyway.

Insecurity about what?

30 mins ?
You got a helicopter?
:lol:

I just say I'm from Sunderland and they go "must be a nightmare having mags as neighbours" and that's about it.
Mackem ^

Insecurity about what?

I'm in full agreement mate. It's pathetic to not be proud of where you're from. I work and live abroad and whenever people ask where Sunderland is I say North East England, about 60 miles from the Scottish border, miles away from London etc. If they ask if that's near Newcastle (or York as some people do) I say yeah. Most people I've spoken to where I've lived (Central America, Asia and now Czech Republic) have heard about Sunderland but only because of the football team. 10 years in the Prem, even if it was mostly battling the drop, has definitely raised the profile of Sunderland abroad in my experience. There's no way there'd have heard of the place if we'd been in the lower leagues during that time.

I say East Durham right on the coast. If I get the near neecastle one, I say nah they are not on the coast. Sunderland the biggest city in the North east is my nearest neighbour. Well it was.

Then surely people from Newcastle should be known as tackems?

Sunderland - Mackems
New***tle - Ge***ies
South Shields - Sand Dancers

So what about Seaburn and Whitburn, with them always wanting to say they're from these respective villages and not from Sunderland?

Its my biggest bugbear to be honest, I am from Durham, and am proud to be from Durham, would never ever claim to be a Mackem, or from Sunderland, it has just never entered my mind

The amount of people who support the mags and claim to be geordies from my town, even on bloody tinder I have seen lasses from my hometown called themselves geordies in the bio

Just don't get it

I notice people from places like ashington and Blyth call themselves Geordies now, in the eighties my boyfriend from Ashington was a proud Nortumbrian, he would have been insulted to be called a Geordie

Back