If nothing has changed on the pitch.

So the OP has invented a scenario where we start poorly, the usual suspects have decided it's shocking and are already using it as justification for sacking the manager?

This f***ing place man. Embarrassing.
Manager should ave been sacked end of last season. Typical Sunderland waiting till October.

"Top SCORERS last season were around the 25 goal mark"

Yes and the top had 25 goals and the next 21 goals and 16 assists. I don’t actually get your point.

Manager should ave been sacked end of last season. Typical Sunderland waiting till October.

This. Sadly this season will be ruined by the time he gets sacked. I’m in a catch 22 at present of wanting us to lose to get rid of him early enough so we can recover and hoping he can fluke something

I'm a glass half empty type by nature but I honestly think changing manager to a more attack minded and motivational type would make a huge difference. I think the resources are there to storm the division....but not under Ross.

Is Roy Keane still out of work?
Ross has to make a good start but if he doesnt we would have to consider Mr Keane.

He hasnt set the world alight since leaving us but there is unfinished business there.

Ross has to make a good start but if he doesnt we would have to consider Mr Keane.

He hasnt set the world alight since leaving us but there is unfinished business there.

It would a very popular appointment with a majority of fans imo. There's still a lot of goodwill here for him....and wasting money on PL players won't be an issue for a while yet. His signings in the Championship were pretty good tbf....and fuck me, he had about 4 days to sort that out in the first window. :lol:

It would a very popular appointment with a majority of fans imo. There's still a lot of goodwill here for him....and wasting money on PL players won't be an issue for a while yet. His signings in the Championship were pretty good tbf....and fuck me, he had about 4 days to sort that out in the first window. :lol:

In fairness I don’t think he had any involvement in those deals. Quinn said as much in his rocker report interview, that he was already working on them long before Keane was mentioned

You don't want to know mate. Our lass's relatives are staying with us for two f***ing weeks and he's Mr f***ing Odd. I'm three days in and our lass is at work tonight and tomorrow so it's just me and them. He hates sport, doesn't watch TV, dislikes music, doesn't drink and wears socks with his sandals. I'm seriously thinking about taking a holiday on my own :lol:

So excuse my posting for a while :lol:
Is there owt he does like mate;)

Go and etertain your relitives mate :)

Go and etertain your relitives mate :)

I've vacated the premises :lol:

Sitting in The Red Lion at Plasworth on my own. He doesn't inbibe during the week :rolleyes:. He's moved on from economy 7 meters and registering his multiple ailments with a new GP to being exasperated by being excluded from the conservatory at his mother in laws to do the crosswords after going to church this morning. What a time to be alive......another pint of Heineken barman! :lol:

Yes and the top had 25 goals and the next 21 goals and 16 assists. I don’t actually get your point.

This. Sadly this season will be ruined by the time he gets sacked. I’m in a catch 22 at present of wanting us to lose to get rid of him early enough so we can recover and hoping he can fluke something
Well you started off saying Grigg averages 13-14 goals a season (16-17 in league one) saying it's not really good enough, then moved the goalposts saying the top strikers score around 25 goals a season giving one example (Collins, who's did this once in is career).
No strikers in this league average 25 goals a season and only Collins averages more than Grigg so where are all these top strikers you mention?

5th on the goal scoring list has 20 .

Only 11 players had more than 15

And the top scorer has 25 like I said

Well you started off saying Grigg averages 13-14 goals a season (16-17 in league one) saying it's not really good enough, then moved the goalposts saying the top strikers score around 25 goals a season giving one example (Collins, who's did this once in is career).
No strikers in this league average 25 goals a season and only Collins averages more than Grigg so where are all these top strikers you mention?

I didn’t say they average that I said to go up you need a striker scoring around that quantity of goals. You’ve got Collins scoring 25 goals and Luton are promoted. Taylor with 21 plus 16 assists and Charlton are promoted. Likewise in other 46 game season leagues, Pukki scored 29 and Norwich are promoted, Abraham scores 25 and Villa are promoted. Gayle scored 24 and then missed the playoffs and WBA missed out. Maupay scored 25. In league two again there is two strikers scoring 29 goals whose teams went up automatically.

Then if you consider games played, Moore was on target for 27 over 46 games, Maja for 32 over 46 games, Taylor 24 over 46 games, Woodrow for 27 over 46 games, Grant 23 over 46 games. Obvious players being sold in this league is a particular problem.

It isn’t hard to see you need a striker scoring in the region of 25 goals to go up. Which incidentally Maja was well on target to hit as well before we sold him. Anything around 15-18 isn’t near enough for a full season from your striker, especially one that offers very little else in play. A top striker will score in excess of 1 in 2. Grigg has never been that

Last edited:
It's a reasonable comparison. The 7 teams I put forward are our first 7 home games against teams we played last season. We got 10 points from those 7 games. So the premise is that IF nothing has changed we may not better last seasons results against those teams. Do you think enough has changed to get us off to a good start and if not how long do you think the fans will remain patient.

I'll say this - 10 points would not be enough from 7 at home and it would and should put enormous pressure on JR unless away from was excellent. Since you've asked the question, how many points would be acceptable and wouldn't have you and your mates banging the door down to sack Ross.

I'll say this - 10 points would not be enough from 7 at home and it would and should put enormous pressure on JR unless away from was excellent. Since you've asked the question, how many points would be acceptable and wouldn't have you and your mates banging the door down to sack Ross.

For me personally I wouldn't set a target. First and foremost I want to see a different approach and hopefully football that doesn't hurt my eyes. Given that this may take time to refine I'd be happy to accept a shaky start IF we are playing attractive football as eventually is see that paying dividends. On the other hand if our two 0-0 pre-season draws are a precursor of what's to come then Ross will deserve all the flak that comes his way.

And the top scorer has 25 like I said

I didn’t say they average that I said to go up you need a striker scoring around that quantity of goals. You’ve got Collins scoring 25 goals and Luton are promoted. Taylor with 21 plus 16 assists and Charlton are promoted. Likewise in other 46 game season leagues, Pukki scored 29 and Norwich are promoted, Abraham scores 25 and Villa are promoted. Gayle scored 24 and then missed the playoffs and WBA missed out. Maupay scored 25. In league two again there is two strikers scoring 29 goals whose teams went up automatically.

Then if you consider games played, Moore was on target for 27 over 46 games, Maja for 32 over 46 games, Taylor 24 over 46 games, Woodrow for 27 over 46 games, Grant 23 over 46 games. Obvious players being sold in this league is a particular problem.

It isn’t hard to see you need a striker scoring in the region of 25 goals to go up. Which incidentally Maja was well on target to hit as well before we sold him. Anything around 15-18 isn’t near enough for a full season from your striker, especially one that offers very little else in play. A top striker will score in excess of 1 in 2. Grigg has never been that
You're embarassing yourself now.

Firstly your'e using one off seasons to prove a point, i can easily do this - Will Grigg 2015-16 25 goals from 40 apps Wigan are promoted.
Will Grigg 2017-18 19 goals from 43 apps Wigan are promoted.

Secondly you're considering games played (again using a one off season), let's use their entire careers (like you did to come up with Griggs 13-14 claim)

Kiefer Moore = 216 apps 73 goals (32 scored in non league) over a 46 game season avg = 15-16 goals. (best season 17)
Josh Maja = 48 apps 17 goals, over a 46 game season avg = 16-17 goals. (best season 15)
Lyle Taylor = 375 apps 145 goals (38 scored in non league) over a 46 game season avg = 18-19 goals. (best season 24)
Cualey Woodrow = 132 apps 33 goals, over a 46 game season avg = 11-12 goals. (best season 16)
Karlan Grant = 111 apps 29 goals, over a 46 game season avg = 12 goals. (best season 14)
Teemu Pukki = 307 apps 116 goals, over a 46 game season avg = 17-18 goals. (best season 29)
Tammy Abraham = 111 apps 53 goals, over a 46 game season avg = 22 goals. (best season 25)
Dwight Gayle = 259 apps 107 goals (29 scored in non league) over a 46 game season avg = 19 goals. (best season 23)
Neal Maupay = 191 apps 66 goals, over a 46 game season avg = 16-17. (best season 25)
James Norwood = 353 apps 134 goals (all but 29 scored in non league) over a 46 game season avg = 17-18 goals. (best season 29)
Tyler Walker = 102 apps 32 goals, over a 46 game season avg = 14-15 goals. (best season = 22)

Thirdly you claim a top striker will score 1 in 2 something that Grigg as never been, more lies as pointed out above.

So I would like to know who theses 25 goal a season strikers are.

You're embarassing yourself now.

Firstly your'e using one off seasons to prove a point, i can easily do this - Will Grigg 2015-16 25 goals from 40 apps Wigan are promoted.
Will Grigg 2017-18 19 goals from 43 apps Wigan are promoted.

Secondly you're considering games played (again using a one off season), let's use their entire careers (like you did to come up with Griggs 13-14 claim)

Kiefer Moore = 216 apps 73 goals (32 scored in non league) over a 46 game season avg = 15-16 goals. (best season 17)
Josh Maja = 48 apps 17 goals, over a 46 game season avg = 16-17 goals. (best season 15)
Lyle Taylor = 375 apps 145 goals (38 scored in non league) over a 46 game season avg = 18-19 goals. (best season 24)
Cualey Woodrow = 132 apps 33 goals, over a 46 game season avg = 11-12 goals. (best season 16)
Karlan Grant = 111 apps 29 goals, over a 46 game season avg = 12 goals. (best season 14)
Teemu Pukki = 307 apps 116 goals, over a 46 game season avg = 17-18 goals. (best season 29)
Tammy Abraham = 111 apps 53 goals, over a 46 game season avg = 22 goals. (best season 25)
Dwight Gayle = 259 apps 107 goals (29 scored in non league) over a 46 game season avg = 19 goals. (best season 23)
Neal Maupay = 191 apps 66 goals, over a 46 game season avg = 16-17. (best season 25)
James Norwood = 353 apps 134 goals (all but 29 scored in non league) over a 46 game season avg = 17-18 goals. (best season 29)
Tyler Walker = 102 apps 32 goals, over a 46 game season avg = 14-15 goals. (best season = 22)

Thirdly you claim a top striker will score 1 in 2 something that Grigg as never been, more lies as pointed out above.

So I would like to know who theses 25 goal a season strikers are.

So your point is that all of the above strikers have a better goals per game rate than Grigg, thus proving my point. Well done.

So your point is that all of the above strikers have a better goals per game rate than Grigg, thus proving my point. Well done.
Take away their goals from League 2 and non league and they don't, a lot of them have just had their best ever season as well if they don't replicate this next season chances are their ratio will drop.

Also only 4 of the above played in league one last season so that's 4 out of 24 teams x approx 4 strikers per team = 96 strikers.
So 4 out of 96. Well done.

For me personally I wouldn't set a target. First and foremost I want to see a different approach and hopefully football that doesn't hurt my eyes. Given that this may take time to refine I'd be happy to accept a shaky start IF we are playing attractive football as eventually is see that paying dividends. On the other hand if our two 0-0 pre-season draws are a precursor of what's to come then Ross will deserve all the flak that comes his way.
Expect your last paragraph.

Dear me!

Expect your last paragraph.

I know we get loads of stick on here for being "bed wetting fannies" but if you've watched football for 50+ years as I have you tend to see what works and what's destined to fail. It was like shooting fish in a barrel predicting doom and gloom during Short's regime but still people would defend the poor decisions. Its different this season as failure is more difficult to quantify. For me it's failing to go up automatically and on top of that the quality of the fare on offer needs to increase markedly. Like yourself I'm not convinced Ross will change his approach.....the likes of Tony Pulis never did despite the flak he got.

Last edited:

Back