If, as expected, more local lockdowns kick in

If they do another lockdown then there will be no end to this - it will be perpetual lockdowns every time some variant pops up.

Also political suicide for the PM.
Would it be political suicide for him? On Thursday the Tories did well in England, Labour did well in Wales and the SNP did well in Scotland. Cant recall an election whereby the incumbents are so popular. Suggests to me restrictions aren’t as hated as people like me would like to think they are. I think there will be visceral anger amongst a vocal minority though. I reckon they’ll try the tiered system again first, and it’ll probably fail. In terms of perpetual lockdowns, I’ve predicted that’s how society will function indefinitely, thought so since October.

Local lockdowns will never work. They didn't work before, they won't work now. By the time the positive cases creep up in West Yorks, in the space of the time it takes for the cases to manifest, thousands of its inhabitants will have already travelled to different parts of the UK.

As I expected, we will never get chance to see if the vaccine works. Cases will inevitably rise. No vaccine was ever championed as a transmission blocker. As soon as cases rise the lockdown measures will be reintroduced. Even though these cases would likely result in mild symptoms, the lack of hospitalisations will be accredited to the lockdown rather than the vaccine and lockdowns will once again be the easy option.

Yep. Would help if they made an effort to stop known troublesome variants getting in of course... If that were to happen we might have a slightly less bleak future
India should have been put on the red list, everything was set up, no excuse. He will bumble his way out of it though and the masses will turn on each other, people having garden parties and not wearing a mask in Tesco will be blamed.

Would it be political suicide for him? On Thursday the Tories did well in England, Labour did well in Wales and the SNP did well in Scotland. Cant recall an election whereby the incumbents are so popular. Suggests to me restrictions aren’t as hated as people like me would like to think they are. I think there will be visceral anger amongst a vocal minority though. I reckon they’ll try the tiered system again first, and it’ll probably fail. In terms of perpetual lockdowns, I’ve predicted that’s how society will function indefinitely, thought so since October.
You're right. I can't conceive of any eventuality now where lockdowns aren't reintroduced at the first hint of an increase in cases.

You're right. I can't conceive of any eventuality now where lockdowns aren't reintroduced at the first hint of an increase in cases.
It’s a hysteria that’s infected all of Europe, the only straw I can clutch onto is the USA. States which have been brave have seen cases still fall or plateau, there’s genuine thirst for the Normal way of life, fully vaccinated people are allowed now to even ditch the masks too. They are a much more vaccine hesitant nation than us but are seemingly desperate for normality, I don’t sense the same urgency here.

Unfortunately, I think continued lockdowns will result in civil unrest.

Unfortunately, I think continued lockdowns will result in civil unrest.
I think there will be unrest to a degree most certainly, eventhough I think the majority of people are happy for/see the need for restrictions to continue, there’ll be a very angry minority who will take to the streets particularly in inner city areas.
A lot of this turning up at football ground stuff, these recent protests is routed in folk wanting to get back to human nature IMO
I did think that a few weeks ago. It’s not just about the super league but a building up of anger, a protest of that nature wouldn’t have occurred if fans were in the stadium.

Last edited:
I think there will be unrest to a degree most certainly, eventhough I think the majority of people are happy for/see the need for restrictions to continue, there’ll be a very angry minority who will take to the streets particularly in inner city areas.

I did think that a few weeks ago. It’s not just about the super league but a building up of anger, a protest of that nature wouldn’t have occurred if fans were in the stadium.

I’m not sure further restrictions will be acquiesced by a majority of people.

Said before on hear creating fear and giving the impression the government is protecting you is a vote winner. It also distracts from all the other issues of the day the longer you can keep it going. All this Indian variant talk pushes any other news to one side. It's a good strategy as opposition parties are hamstrung as they can hardly oppose anything you do.

It’s a hysteria that’s infected all of Europe, the only straw I can clutch onto is the USA. States which have been brave have seen cases still fall or plateau, there’s genuine thirst for the Normal way of life, fully vaccinated people are allowed now to even ditch the masks too. They are a much more vaccine hesitant nation than us but are seemingly desperate for normality, I don’t sense the same urgency here.

Florida seems to be the ideal re-opening to normalcy model.

Even a few weeks ago I seen a video of a full baseball stadium in Texas, no masks, it looked glorious.

Bread and water, bread and water, bread and water, egg and chips....bread and water, bread and water, bread and water, egg and chips.....Bread and water, bread and water, bread and water....steak and mushrooms, Bread and water, bread and water, bread and water, egg and chips......Bread and water, bread and water, bread and water,Bread and water, bread and water, bread and water,Bread and water, bread and water, bread and water,Bread and water, bread and water, bread and water,......and so on.

Back