Ice hockey

Started watching Whitley back in the 80s until Halls damned interference.
Dabbled with playing too, (sunday league level only). Fancy i might have to back for a skate over the Xmas hols. Probably be barely able to stand up now :lol:
It was freezing watching Whitley but not as cold as today at match. Also saw Sparta Prague.

If the Durham team moved in ’96, I am too young to remember, I was 4 or 5.

On my way to the Centre Bell now, looking forward to it. I’ve seen ice hockey before but only in Edinburgh and France; it’s not quite NHL level.

It was freezing watching Whitley but not as cold as today at match. Also saw Sparta Prague.
Watched Sparta a couple of times too. Was a one of their derbies against Slavia prague which was abandoned mid way with smoke bombs and gun fire ! Which was a bit worrying at the time...

Aye it was 95 or 96.
Hall put whitley into the arena and moved durham to crowtree. Then after 6 monrh or so sacked whitley and replaced them with durham and included an area protected clause into the league.
This relegated whitley 3 (4?) divisions as they were treated by tbe eiha as a new team. Durham and crowtree rink were closed, sunderland chiefs vanished and north east ice hockey died.
Mag tw8t !

Last edited:
Watched Sparta a couple of times too. Was a one of their derbies against Slavia prague which was abandoned mid way with smoke bombs and gun fire ! Which was a bit worrying at the time...

Aye it was 95 or 96.
Hall put whitley into the arena and moved durham to crowtree. Then after 6 monrh or so sacked whitley and replaced them with durham and included an area protected clause into the league.
This relegated whitley 3 (4?) divisions as they were treated by tbe eiha as a new team. Durham and crowtree rink were closed, sunderland chiefs vanished and north east ice hockey died.
Mag tw8t !
To be honest I didn’t even realise England had an ice hockey league.

Sénateurs 2-5 Canadiens. Class.

Last edited:

Durham Wasps.

“ From 1982-1992, the Wasps were the dominant force in British ice hockey.
Five league championships, four British Championships, four Autumn Cups (the annual season-opening cup) seven Castle Eden Cups (a competition between the major teams in the North East) and a ferocious crowd quickly cemented the Wasps’ position as one of the best-known names in British ice hockey.”

“Ferocious Crowd,” both the fans and the team were downright Ferocious.:evil:
Nobody could live with them at the time.
They had quite a few imports, mostly Canadians, but only the hardest and the toughest made the grade,
the rest were soon sent packing.

Hell of an atmosphere.
The crowd were always baying for blood.
A bit like a Roman Amphitheatre or Spanish Bullring.
Aye it was great

Spent a bit of time over in Helsinki and took a few games in at Helsinki HIFK, and Espoo, the blues. Granted the quality of hockey on the ice was a different level out there, but a bit sterile compared to the Wasps.

Has anyone been to a match? Going to see Montréal Canadiens vs. Ottawa Sénateurs tonight.

Saw my team, the San Jose Sharks twice. Once against Anahiem and against Minnesota. f***ing immense game. Hard and skilful bastards. Great atmosphere. Enjoy!

Has anyone been to a match? Going to see Montréal Canadiens vs. Ottawa Sénateurs tonight.

I've been to a couple, but cannot really get into it.

Its great watching, but as with most sports here in the US/Canada the lack of an away end detracts from the atmosphere.

I'll stick to watching the hockey highlights on the ESPN

Play golf with a lad who played in the nhl for years, played in last years olympics as well - playing in Russia now. Our pissed up football v hockey injury comparison was a short conversation mind those lads get walloped

Has this just happened ??
As a Whitley supporter, he was public enemy number 1 but he put together an incredible team that i can only admit to appreciating years later.
I remember the game (presumably against Whitley) where, as manager, he took a reet strop, threw all the spare sticks in the ice and had to be dragged away from swinging for the ref. Passion and brilliant entertainment!
RIP Paul Smith.

I've been to a couple, but cannot really get into it.

Its great watching, but as with most sports here in the US/Canada the lack of an away end detracts from the atmosphere.

I'll stick to watching the hockey highlights on the ESPN
I like the fact everyone is mixed together. Just like rugby, at least at the six nations.

Been to a few WHL games here but got a mate over and off to Vancouver in January so we will be off to see the Canucks.
They arent pulling up any trees so not too optimistic about winning!

Back