Ice hockey world championships

There's absolutely tons there. Last night's Russian couldn't have been any better

The Russian team is an absolute star-studded lineup. I fancy them to win the Gold.

Regarding the North American’s though, it’s true that they don’t take it as seriously as the European sides.

I think the Americans at the last Olympics sent a team predominantly made up of College players and lads who play in leagues in Europe.

International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF)

We’re shit and we know we are :cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
Was a fantastic day in Kosice yesterday. I'm in the same hotel as Team GB - a few sore heads at breakfast. And there may have been a momentary lapse in professionalism when that overtime goal went in. Wasn't easy to calm down enough to interview people after that! Luckily the GB team are a good bunch and the circumstances meant I didn't need much from the French (who, understandably, weren't keen to hang around and chat - fair play to Texier for fronting up and offering a few words)

Strength of the teams: it's a pretty strong set of rosters this year. A combination of some teams disappointing in the NHL play-offs (looking at you, Tampa) and Team USA (for once) bringing over a group that should be in the conversation for medals. It's pushed the level up a bit. On the other hand, the lower end of the groups has been weaker than I remember: in Bratislava, Austria, Italy and Norway were all painful to watch - we've had a lot of goals but not many memorable games.

Anyway, since I'm here, I'll slap up a link to my blog from yesterday - Do you believe in miracles?

And a few take-outs from the IIHF website - IIHF - The history makers

Got a bit of Canada - USA this evening, which should be fun. Would agree that this is Russia's to lose, although if ever there was a nation skilled in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory that would probably be Russia. A semi-final loss to a hard-working Finland isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

Was a fantastic day in Kosice yesterday. I'm in the same hotel as Team GB - a few sore heads at breakfast. And there may have been a momentary lapse in professionalism when that overtime goal went in. Wasn't easy to calm down enough to interview people after that! Luckily the GB team are a good bunch and the circumstances meant I didn't need much from the French (who, understandably, weren't keen to hang around and chat - fair play to Texier for fronting up and offering a few words)

Strength of the teams: it's a pretty strong set of rosters this year. A combination of some teams disappointing in the NHL play-offs (looking at you, Tampa) and Team USA (for once) bringing over a group that should be in the conversation for medals. It's pushed the level up a bit. On the other hand, the lower end of the groups has been weaker than I remember: in Bratislava, Austria, Italy and Norway were all painful to watch - we've had a lot of goals but not many memorable games.

Anyway, since I'm here, I'll slap up a link to my blog from yesterday - Do you believe in miracles?

Got a bit of Canada - USA this evening, which should be fun. Would agree that this is Russia's to lose, although if ever there was a nation skilled in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory that would probably be Russia. A semi-final loss to a hard-working Finland isn't beyond the realms of possibility.
Cracking read. You follow Hockey in particular?

Live here

Last edited:

Fantastic article mate, very jealous of you being out there!

Unbelievable comeback! The 2nd and 3rd goal in the space of SIX seconds had me getting up and putting the kettle on, thought we were going to get a 'Denmark style' battering.
Couldn't have been more wrong! :lol:

Nice that the comeback heavily featured North East linked players in Ben O'Connor and Robbie Dowd. :cool:

Interesting to see Kaapo Kakko going well, building a strong case to be first overall pick in the draft (which am gannin tee because I'm now fully Canadian eh).

That Jack Hughes is number one in the draft but i'd be amazed if Kakko doesn't get picked up at number 2.
(Please miraculously last until eighth pick and come to Edmonton!)

Back