Ice cream men from yesteryear

• Thread starter Deleted member 25315
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

I remember that van in the top school yard. Sold massive 'Where's The Beef' chewies and those ice lollies with 2 sticks.

For Seaham there was also Frank Pacito and his hand cart, used a whistle to announce he was about. Kids used to help him push it up the streets who received a small ice cream in return.
Aye old Frank with his barra and silver acme thunderer. There was also jobes vans. They had a small factory opposite the phoenix behind Walter Wilson.

I remember that van in the top school yard. Sold massive 'Where's The Beef' chewies and those ice lollies with 2 sticks.

For Seaham there was also Frank Pacito and his hand cart, used a whistle to announce he was about. Kids used to help him push it up the streets who received a small ice cream in return.

Frank used to be friends with my dad, who would wander round Seaham and Dawdon with him. In 1956, my Mam and Dad were going on honeymoon, and had been to church on the Sunday morning. Mam's dad was bringing their suitcase to the bus stop for them to go to Blackpool but he slept in, and by the time he woke up the bus had gone. Most people didn't have cars in those days, so dad knocked Frank up and asked him if he would take them to Houghton le Spring to catch up with the bus. So Mam and dad went off on their honeymoon in an ice cream van! I wish that I'd been around to see it!

Isn't Margaret Thatcher incorrectly credited as being one of the team who invented Mr Whippy ice cream? She certainly worked as food scientist for Lyons before she entered politics but some doubt has been thrown on what she actually worked on. Pie fillings has been suggested probably with more gravey and less meat
It was Instant Whip, iirc. Vile stuff.
The ice-cream man in Chilton in the 50s was Jack Rea, who was either the Dad or Uncle of Chris.
My Mam would send me out with a bowl to get filled and it stayed solid(ish) for a coule of hours in the pantry until tea-time.

:lol: Commonly known as a "travelling shop". :lol::lol:
There was 2 came around our way, one was called Archies and the other was Billy Ingle.
Billy Ingle had an old bus and you stepped up onto it to get served. Archie had an old removal van and served out of the back door. Some. Of the stuff in the buses window had been there years and I remember a box of cornflakes had sun faded so much it was almost unreadable. I don't think sell by dates were a big thing back then. :lol:

It was a gadgie called Reggie round Hallfarm when I was a bairn.

There used to be a Fish and Chip van that came round on A Friday anarl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back