Ice cream men from yesteryear

• Thread starter Deleted member 25315
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The best ice cream in Sunderland was produced by Notrianni . They had a couple of (blue) vans and didn't do the rounds as much as Fellas (who weren't bad) but they had the fantastic parlours on the front at Seaburn and in High Street West. They also owned the Biz Bar.

I have never tasted ice cream as good before of since.

Jackanelli (probably spelled incorrectly) in Houghton, man and wife team... But their daughter would sometimes bring the van out and then we'd ask for a 69 rather than 99. Right rebels us.

Honourable mention to Gouges too.

The best ice cream in Sunderland was produced by Notrianni . They had a couple of (blue) vans and didn't do the rounds as much as Fellas (who weren't bad) but they had the fantastic parlours on the front at Seaburn and in High Street West. They also owned the Biz Bar.

I have never tasted ice cream as good before of since.

This

Is that the ice cream place that used to be on Silksworth Road before it was all developed? I'm sure we used to knock on so we could go in and get ice cream.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.9...Sz_AZv6pl2HBq-vl2Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

I remember the husband and wife team :lol:

Nor mate that's where Fellas actually made their icecream. I remember going in to get loads of wooden ice lolly sticks to make scoiters.

Last edited:
Didn't Tony Fella do time for some sort of assault? (might have been sexual)

Used to creep the shit out of me as he always used to ask how my mother was, she said he was a dodgepot back when she was a girl.

Anyone from Fencehouses/Chilton Moor would remember Gouge Ices, loved going to me Grans on a Sunday and getting a screwball from him.

He lives near me

Used to be Tony Fella who came round High Barnes in the 80s. Cider ice lollies.

XL crisps and scull and crossbone crisps which were maize crisps like monster munch

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't Tony Fella do time for some sort of assault? (might have been sexual)

Used to creep the shit out of me as he always used to ask how my mother was, she said he was a dodgepot back when she was a girl.

I remember all that crack from him anarl. He's still alive and kicking, seen a pic of him posted on fb recently and looking really well..

Who was it who delivered around High Barnes in the 80s? Italian wifey with short dark curly hair. Minchella's? Minghellas?
Mrs Valente came around our area with her 2 daughters. As the years passed one of the lovely daughters must have got a driving license because she took over driving and the round. Nee norks out though like daedalus got.
Valenti was a bit tight, had a device to make the sandwiches with that gave a precise amount of ice-cream each time. Geraldi on the other hand used to just lash it on or you could take a bowl out and he'd fill the thing for a couple of bob. Valenties tasted better mind I wish you could still buy the stuff. Their last shop closed years ago when it was down Hendon. A sad demise that kids today can't appreciate.

I asked for monkey's blood off the ice cream van up Hamsterley Forest and stunned the queue. :oops::lol:
Never ask for it down Hartlepool way.:lol:

Last edited:
Isn't Margaret Thatcher incorrectly credited as being one of the team who invented Mr Whippy ice cream? She certainly worked as food scientist for Lyons before she entered politics but some doubt has been thrown on what she actually worked on. Pie fillings has been suggested probably with more gravey and less meat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back