Ian Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ian Laws (S'land Echo Journo) - RIP.

:-( awful, awful news!

God bless Ian and R.I.P.

Got a text this morning before I woke up telling me this sad news. Used to live near him and his kids gan to the same dancing school as mine. We used to sit there bored to tears in the waiting room for hours when the little ones were too young to be left unaccompanied. Nice quiet lad.

RIP Ian lad.

Which one is that mate?

BigBadBri is his best mate. I'm sure he'll be along soon to fill us in with the details. Still can't believe it like.

I don't want to say much obviously, but he died suddenly of a heart attack

I doubt Bri will post about it for a while, he's very upset clearly

RIP Ian, and our thoughts are with his lovely family

I knew him a little but liked and respected him a lot. My own thoughts are also with his family. I have pulled together some of these tributes at http://salutsunderland.com/2012/01/ian-laws-rip-top-top-bloke-the-best-kind-of-local-reporter/ and hope those whose words have been repeated are OK with that. The regional press is in a dire state but people like Ian made it an institution worth preserving. That's of little importance though when set against the terrible tragedy with which his young family now have to live. RIP Ian.

:lol:

Couple of years above me at school.

Always thought he had a pie-face

RIP

Get fucked. And yes, I saw your follow up posts and don't believe them. Is "pie-face" a typo too?

RIP Lawsy. 41 is nee age.

I knew him a little but liked and respected him a lot. My own thoughts are also with his family. I have pulled together some of these tributes at http://salutsunderland.com/2012/01/ian-laws-rip-top-top-bloke-the-best-kind-of-local-reporter/ and hope those whose words have been repeated are OK with that. The regional press is in a dire state but people like Ian made it an institution worth preserving. That's of little importance though when set against the terrible tragedy with which his young family now have to live. RIP Ian.

Nice tribute.

The sad thing is he had packed in the sports reporting to do general stuff to enable himto spend more time with his young family.

One reason was that he would finally be able to take his young son to matches, so he left the free tickets and interviews behind and bought 2 season tickets

RIP Ian

RIP Ian. Went to school with him and was a sound lad. Saw him again in the Grange a few years ago and had the same happy outlook and loved his job. Totally shocked. Thoughts to his family.

Get fucked. And yes, I saw your follow up posts and don't believe them. Is "pie-face" a typo too?

RIP Lawsy. 41 is nee age.

I really don't care what you think mate - I apologised for posting the wrong smiley. I spoke to the lad most days and am very sad at the news.

Kepp chipping away if it makes you feel better but it's really not the time or the place

Remembering a legend ian laws rip

The North East is in mourning this morning after the untimely death of sports reporter Ian Laws. Ian had been Sunderland’s reporter for the Sunderland Echo for over a decade, first reporting in the record-breaking 105 points season, seeing the club the eras of Peter Reid, Howard Wilkinson, Mick McCarthy, Roy Keane and Steve Bruce. He was an avid Sunderland fan. He left his reporting role to become Digital Editor of the Echo’s website and to spend time with his young family.

Sunderland Echo Editor Rob Lawson said: “Ian was one of the most talented journalists I’ve had the pleasure to work with. He had a way with words and writing came effortlessly to him. I first met him many years ago when he started work at the Shields Gazette, but he didn’t stay there long because he was always keen to get to what he always regarded as his paper – the Echo. I remember him telling me he’d got the SAFC writer’s job and to say he was thrilled was an understatement. Working alongside his friend and colleague Graeme Anderson, Ian provided brilliant coverage of his beloved Sunderland. He was a superb writer, very popular with the fans and well respected by the club. What I’ll remember about him is his cheeky sense of humour – he could be hilarious – and the love he had for his children, of whom he was so proud. Our thoughts and prayers today are with them and his wider family.”

SAFC’s media and communications manager, Louise Wanless, remembered Ian saying: “Ian was a great journalist – principled and with an in-depth knowledge and passion for football and especially of course Sunderland and yet he retained a natural warmth and ability to get along with everyone he met. He had a wonderful sense of humour and truly came alive when talking about his children. I had the pleasure of working with him for nine years and he will be sadly missed personally by me and by everyone at the football club.”

Niall Quinn then took the time say a few words too: “My thoughts are with Ian’s young family at this dreadful time and I was so saddened to hear the news of his passing. The relationship between a football club and its local paper is always an important one. Ian was a good friend to our club and as a local man on the local patch had a real understanding and feel for the club and what it meant to supporters. He was honest and decent and will be missed by all those who knew him and worked with him.”

Ian leaves behind his wife Kelly and children Lauren, James and Mille. Ian, 41, was playing football with friends yesterday afternoon and died shortly after returning home.

This tragic news has come as a shock to all of us at ALS and our thoughts are with Ian’s family and close friends at this sad time.

I don't want to say much obviously, but he died suddenly of a heart attack

I doubt Bri will post about it for a while, he's very upset clearly

RIP Ian, and our thoughts are with his lovely family

Last time I spoke to him he was with Bri in The Bell when we were watching us get beat of Norwich this season. The three of us had a quick natter about the state of SAFC and football in general.

You never know whats round the corner.:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back