Ian Lavery MP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Too right, being from mining stock I find the union freeloaders a particularly unpleasant breed, they knew what a bloody hard life it was and the health effects that many suffered, yet still saw fit to syphon off whatever they could.

Absolute scum.
It's beyond contempt like.

Too right, being from mining stock I find the union freeloaders a particularly unpleasant breed, they knew what a bloody hard life it was and the health effects that many suffered, yet still saw fit to syphon off whatever they could.

Absolute scum.
Bang on

Funny, because of this I checked the Right Honourable Mr Lavery's wiki page - turns out he has a conviction for being a football hooligan (Gremlin?) in 1985. He says the police fabricated the evidence. It just gets better.
'The union chief 's lawyer Philip Browell told The Times he was arrested in February 1985 at a match between Manchester United and Newcastle United.

Mr Browell said he was found guilty of a public order offence and fined £200, which was paid by the NUM who concluded the arrest was directly linked to his political activities.

Although Mr Lavery has acknowledged in the past that he was 'arrested for hooliganism' in 1985, he denies he is a football hooligan. Instead, he claims the police were 'out to get me'.

'I was arrested for football hooliganism, they said I ran towards 500 Manchester United supporters to try and start a fight,' he said in an interview in 2005.

'I know I'm a big lad, but I'm not stupid. They arrested me and threw me in the van and assaulted me. I had to have part of my ear stitched... One of them spat in my face.'

He added: 'In court, they told lie after lie and I was fined.... That is why I have absolutely no respect for the police.'

Last edited:
He needs to put his Wiki page right. It says that he was the only apprentice miner in the North East who refused to work during the 1984-85 miners strike. Well the four apprentices from Monkwearmouth who stayed with me and my Mrs collecting money around the London colleges towards the end of the strike might have something to say about that. Perhaps for the "North East" he meant "Northumberland"

Bang on

'The union chief 's lawyer Philip Browell told The Times he was arrested in February 1985 at a match between Manchester United and Newcastle United.

Mr Browell said he was found guilty of a public order offence and fined £200,
which was paid by the NUM who concluded the arrest was directly linked to his political activities.

Although Mr Lavery has acknowledged in the past that he was 'arrested for hooliganism' in 1985, he denies he is a football hooligan. Instead, he claims the police were 'out to get me'.

'I was arrested for football hooliganism, they said I ran towards 500 Manchester United supporters to try and start a fight,' he said in an interview in 2005.

'I know I'm a big lad, but I'm not stupid. They arrested me and threw me in the van and assaulted me. I had to have part of my ear stitched... One of them spat in my face.'

He added: 'In court, they told lie after lie and I was fined.... That is why I have absolutely no respect for the police.'
Why would a 22 year old miner have his fine, for an offence committed at a football match, paid for by his union?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back