Ian Freeman

Who was in charge of the slip way then?
Cannot remember marra, this must have been around 34 year ago. I remember because we were teenagers then and heard stories that he used to write the numbers called out in the bingo in the blank boxes and call house in the downhill clerb as the committee were shit scared of him and as i saw him flatten 5 brothers in the foyer i can understand why.

relation of mine, sound bloke
Cracking bloke JG. His son SG should have made it professional level in football as a keeper. Went to watch him play for Sunderland boys at Roker Park agsinst Solihull the night Bobby Moore died. Always remember that.
Remember him from The Venue at Spennymoor and on the doors in Shields.... Top bloke
Used to start at Oscars in Shields n JG used to be on door there.

Last edited:
Cracking bloke JG. His son SG should have made it professional level in football as a keeper. Went to watch him play for Sunderland boys at Roker Park agsinst Solihull the night Bobby Moore died. Always remember that.

Used to start at Oscars in Shields n JG used to be on door there.

I used to go and watch him play, think it was fatfield juniors. Was a cracking keeper actually, not sure if he woulda made it like

Used to work in Finos where George Pearson worked alongside Bobby Bewick and another lad surname Wilson, think his name was Bobby too but may be mistaken.
George was the best at talking down any heat, was a lovely bloke with Bobby being the muscle of it did go sideways!

it was Bobby Wilson, unfortunately he passed away a few years ago to Cancer

You haven't got any mates that have done something shitty to another person?

There comes a point when people’s bad actions start outnumbering any good they do. Most people have probably done something they regretted but not constantly, and certainly not to the level of violence that people like Freeman apparently did.

All these people who say they were canny lads. They’re only canny until you say or do something they don’t like, then you’re at their mercy. Doesn’t strike me as a good basis for a friendship.

There comes a point when people’s bad actions start outnumbering any good they do. Most people have probably done something they regretted but not constantly, and certainly not to the level of violence that people like Freeman apparently did.

All these people who say they were canny lads. They’re only canny until you say or do something they don’t like, then you’re at their mercy. Doesn’t strike me as a good basis for a friendship.

I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable being treated by someone who took great delight in fighting and damaging other people

I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable being treated by someone who took great delight in fighting and damaging other people

I even think there’s a difference between liking fighting and enjoying giving people a kicking.

I’ve got/had mates who liked fighting, but they weren’t bullies.

Back