I was there

About 79 for me mate. Could even hire a car for a weekend at 18 years old then. How times have changed. We had some great weekends away following the lads. Cardiff 80, was it? I will never forget:D
I was also at that Cardiff game.
Again there were thousands of us there.
I, along with hundreds of oithes, got in through the big open gates, because thece was such a crush trying to get through the turnstiles, the coppers ordered Cardiff to open the exit gates and let us just walk through

The away end was like our old Roker End, and I was right at the back with a cracking view of the game.
I remember Geno by Dexys Midnight Runners, was played over the tannoy, and thousands of Sunderland fans started singing Geno Geno Geno.
We drew the game, and were promoted at home against West Ham, a few days later in front of 47,000 fans.
Happy Days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was in the Wrexham end.
A few small scuffles but nothing serious.
At the end we managed to climb into the main stand to join the celebrations after the announcement Stoke had drawn.
Gutted when they said the real score.
In reality we lost it the week before against Cardiff.

Last edited:
I was there - great day out but huge disappointment in the end. Nearly castrated myself climbing the fence to get on the pitch!
Saw a certain punk musician having an altercation with a law enforcement officer on a horse prior to the game! But no punches thrown!
The spikes on the fence behind the goal, were deadly.
Utter delirium at full time, to utter dejection, when the Stoke result was announced.

I remember Geno by Dexys Midnight Runners, was played over the tannoy, and thousands of Sunderland fans started singing Geno Geno Geno.

we used to sing that at Trevor Brooking back when he had longer curly hair and looked a bit like the singer

it was indeed number 1 at or around the time you got promoted as we were singing it at Wembley 2 days before after "Geno" scored our winner

Last edited:
we used to sing that at Trevor Brooking back when he had longer curly hair and looked a bit like the singer

it was indeed number 1 at or around the time you got promoted as we were singing it at Wembley 2 days before after "Geno" scored our winner
It was the perfect time to play WHU
We needed to win to be promoted, and your lot had just won the cup against Arsenal, a few days earlier, and in the league you had nothing to play for iirc.
We won 2-0 that night at a sold out Roker Park, in front of 47,000 fans.

It was the perfect time to play WHU
We needed to win to be promoted, and your lot had just won the cup against Arsenal, a few days earlier, and in the league you had nothing to play for iirc.
We won 2-0 that night at a sold out Roker Park, in front of 47,000 fans.
yeah it was the MOnday after we'd won the Cup, I imagine some of our players hadn't even sobered up yet an the rest hand hangovers still :lol::lol::lol:

yeah it was the MOnday after we'd won the Cup, I imagine some of our players hadn't even sobered up yet an the rest hand hangovers still :lol::lol::lol:
I think the game against us, would have been a huge inconvenience for your Lads, after the glory of a cup final win at Wembley.
You couldn't blame them for having a hangover :lol:

The same thing happened, after our cup final win against Leeds in 1973.
We had a rearranged home game against QPR a few days after winning the cup at Wembley.
We got beat at home by QPR who were promoted already iirc, and Stan Bowles had put a bet on to be the one to knock the FA Cup off it's stand (it was at the pitchside after it had been shown off to the crowd, prior to the game)

I was there with my mate Davey who since passed away, we used to go to most of the away games 70s/80s. We had been at Newcastle Mayfair the night before, pissed as newts and got a few hours kip before sleeping it off most of the way down on the coach from Hebburn.
We walked round Wrexham town centre once there and it was shit, and we ended up wondering down a big steep bank with an old bridge over head at the bottom and I can still picture it clear as day, there was a boozer right at the bottom with a load of noise coming out. Couldn't make out whether it was Sunderland or Wrexham inside but two Wrexham lads walked up and said best fuck off lads, this is where all our hard lads get tanked up before the match.
They walked over and went to go in the front door and all you could hear was Sunderland, Sunderland. I don't think I've ever laughed as hard in my life as they scarpered up the hill. There was Sunderland lads dancing on the tables and the place was absolutely bouncing.
It was a great afternoon pre match, and even better when Brownie knocked the winner in. We were in the side paddock and it was all Sunderland and it erupted when he scored.
Wewere straight over the fence and onto the pitch at the end, over the moon we were going up, only for the Stoke score to come over the tannoy. There away end were giving it large till everyone charged them and I've never seen an end clear so quickly.
Great days full of a few highs, and lots of very low lows.
Still love the lads though and would do it all again given the chance!

..... We drew the game, and were promoted at home against West Ham, a few days later in front of 47,000 fans.
Happy Days.[/QUOTE]

There must have been 60,000 in that night. Biggest crowd I was ever in at Roker Park.

Back