I need the help of the SMB

Not nearly impossible, impossible. No one can get a mortgage to buy them even if they wanted to, which they wouldn’t.

Thanks so much everyone. Great to wake up to so many nice messages. And I have a headache

And that's the other thing. When mortgage deals come to an end, they're going to be put onto SVR paying 4%+ as theres no longer any equity.

It’s in another thread, but will get lost.

I’m one of the victims of the cladding scandal, the government has today rejected the bill to protect leaseholders

My service charges have increased from £120 a month to £650 a month. For a 2 bedroom flat. This gets us a fire alarm installed and waking watch. This does not include cladding removal.

I’m having to budget for £50-£75k to get this fixed. This is a 2 bedroom flat. It’s going to bankrupt thousands of people.

please can I ask those who have Tory MPs (in particular) to write to them and point out the injustice of this? It will take you a few mins only

many thanks
That's an absolute disgrace. Looks like the Sunderland Central MP voted against the government but I've emailed any way. Why the fuck anyone would abstain is beyond me. Really hope something happens to get this resolved, it's a complete travesty

@chunkylover53

"Thank you for writing to me regarding the Fire Safety Bill. I can’t begin to imagine how devastating this scandal has been for your friend and many others.

I have continued to fight for leaseholders in recent months. I have asked Boris Johnson about the cladding scandal at Prime Minister's Questions: PMQs: Rupa Huq MP asks Boris Johnson about cladding scandal - Rupa Huq MP and recently held a virtual roundtable with affected constituents: Rupa Huq Hosts Cladding Crisis Roundtable.

I’m deeply disappointed, however, that the Government yet again refused to vote for amendments to protect leaseholders, despite the many promises it made to shield leaseholders from remediation costs ( ).

Labour and other Opposition MPs repeatedly tabled amendments to the Fire Safety Bill to try to force the Government to honour its promise. I’m disappointed that Ministers rejected these amendments on five separate occasions. Instead, the Government has proposed a loan scheme, which would leave many leaseholders bearing the cost. Ministers have also said that the issue of responsibility for remediation costs should be addressed in a separate piece of legislation - the Building Safety Bill.

I supported the Lord Bishop of St Albans’ latest amendment to the Fire Safety Bill. I also supported similar Opposition amendments to the Bill. These amendments would have given leaseholders a guarantee that building owners cannot pass on the costs of any remedial work in the time before the Government brings forward its promised reforms in the separate Building Safety Bill.

Unfortunately, the Government repeatedly refused to vote for these amendments, which means the Bill has now passed without vital protections for leaseholders. Labour colleagues in the Lords sent the Bill back to the Commons four times, but because the parliamentary session came to an end the day after the final Lords debate, any further amendment would have meant that the Bill was likely to fall completely and the improvements the Opposition secured would have been lost. Labour’s Shadow Fire Services Minister explains the thinking behind this in her Twitter thread: .

The fight for justice continues, however – I am now working with colleagues to look at what can be achieved in the next Parliamentary session.

I will continue to press Ministers to support leaseholders with the costs of remediation now before pursuing building companies and developers who are responsible. For the memory of those who died in the Grenfell Tower fire, the Government must right these wrongs, learn the lessons and protect the hundreds of thousands who face daily uncertainty, fear, and bills.

Thank you once again for contacting me about this important issue. If you have any other issues or concerns, do get in touch.

Yours sincerely,

Rupa.

Rupa Huq MP

Ealing Central and Acton"

@chunkylover53

"Thank you for writing to me regarding the Fire Safety Bill. I can’t begin to imagine how devastating this scandal has been for your friend and many others.

I have continued to fight for leaseholders in recent months. I have asked Boris Johnson about the cladding scandal at Prime Minister's Questions: PMQs: Rupa Huq MP asks Boris Johnson about cladding scandal - Rupa Huq MP and recently held a virtual roundtable with affected constituents: Rupa Huq Hosts Cladding Crisis Roundtable.

I’m deeply disappointed, however, that the Government yet again refused to vote for amendments to protect leaseholders, despite the many promises it made to shield leaseholders from remediation costs ( ).

Labour and other Opposition MPs repeatedly tabled amendments to the Fire Safety Bill to try to force the Government to honour its promise. I’m disappointed that Ministers rejected these amendments on five separate occasions. Instead, the Government has proposed a loan scheme, which would leave many leaseholders bearing the cost. Ministers have also said that the issue of responsibility for remediation costs should be addressed in a separate piece of legislation - the Building Safety Bill.

I supported the Lord Bishop of St Albans’ latest amendment to the Fire Safety Bill. I also supported similar Opposition amendments to the Bill. These amendments would have given leaseholders a guarantee that building owners cannot pass on the costs of any remedial work in the time before the Government brings forward its promised reforms in the separate Building Safety Bill.

Unfortunately, the Government repeatedly refused to vote for these amendments, which means the Bill has now passed without vital protections for leaseholders. Labour colleagues in the Lords sent the Bill back to the Commons four times, but because the parliamentary session came to an end the day after the final Lords debate, any further amendment would have meant that the Bill was likely to fall completely and the improvements the Opposition secured would have been lost. Labour’s Shadow Fire Services Minister explains the thinking behind this in her Twitter thread: .

The fight for justice continues, however – I am now working with colleagues to look at what can be achieved in the next Parliamentary session.

I will continue to press Ministers to support leaseholders with the costs of remediation now before pursuing building companies and developers who are responsible. For the memory of those who died in the Grenfell Tower fire, the Government must right these wrongs, learn the lessons and protect the hundreds of thousands who face daily uncertainty, fear, and bills.

Thank you once again for contacting me about this important issue. If you have any other issues or concerns, do get in touch.

Yours sincerely,

Rupa.

Rupa Huq MP

Ealing Central and Acton"
Thanks so much.
That's an absolute disgrace. Looks like the Sunderland Central MP voted against the government but I've emailed any way. Why the fuck anyone would abstain is beyond me. Really hope something happens to get this resolved, it's a complete travesty
Thanks mate.

Got a reply back from mine - an obvious pre-written one so I’m hopeful that means he’s had lots of emails about it.

He reckons he voted against it because it didn’t go far enough and he outlines some schemes that he reckons will help people regardless -

Action continues to be taken to remove unsafe cladding, support leaseholders, restore confidence in this part of the housing market and ensure a situation like the tragic fire at Grenfell Tower never arises again.

The Housing Secretary has confirmed that the Government will fully fund the replacement of unsafe cladding for all leaseholders in residential buildings 18 metres and higher in England, which have been independently judged to be the highest risk buildings. For leaseholders in lower-rise buildings between 11 and 18 metres, a new scheme will protect against unaffordable cladding removal costs through a financing arrangement where leaseholders pay no more than a maximum of £50 per month towards remediation when the building owner cannot pay for the work.

The Government intervention is based on independent advice and prioritises public safety and providing fairness both to leaseholders and the broader taxpayer, many of whom are not home-owners themselves. Leaseholders should not have to worry about the unaffordable costs of fixing safety defects in high-rise buildings that they did not cause – and should be protected from large-scale remediation costs wherever possible.

Got a reply back from mine - an obvious pre-written one so I’m hopeful that means he’s had lots of emails about it.

He reckons he voted against it because it didn’t go far enough and he outlines some schemes that he reckons will help people regardless -

Action continues to be taken to remove unsafe cladding, support leaseholders, restore confidence in this part of the housing market and ensure a situation like the tragic fire at Grenfell Tower never arises again.

The Housing Secretary has confirmed that the Government will fully fund the replacement of unsafe cladding for all leaseholders in residential buildings 18 metres and higher in England, which have been independently judged to be the highest risk buildings. For leaseholders in lower-rise buildings between 11 and 18 metres, a new scheme will protect against unaffordable cladding removal costs through a financing arrangement where leaseholders pay no more than a maximum of £50 per month towards remediation when the building owner cannot pay for the work.

The Government intervention is based on independent advice and prioritises public safety and providing fairness both to leaseholders and the broader taxpayer, many of whom are not home-owners themselves. Leaseholders should not have to worry about the unaffordable costs of fixing safety defects in high-rise buildings that they did not cause – and should be protected from large-scale remediation costs wherever possible.

Sadly, it’s a load of bollocks

Seriously like, if you explain why, I’m more than happy to write back to him.
Because the removal of the cladding maybe funded for properties over 18m, but....

- it doesn’t cover all remedial works
- approval of funding doesn’t seem to be going anywhere, we’ve applied but heard nothing. Our best guess is that this is fixed in about 18months. Thats an optimistic assessment
- cladding removal is but a portion of the cost. Insurance premiums have rocketed, waking watch costs a fortune, fire alarms, fire sensors. This is why my service charge has gone up by £6k a year, and that’s after the sinking fund has been obliterated.

I’m one of the victims of the cladding scandal, the government has today rejected the bill to protect leaseholders

My service charges have increased from £120 a month to £650 a month. For a 2 bedroom flat. This gets us a fire alarm installed and waking watch. This does not include cladding removal.

I’m having to budget for £50-£75k to get this fixed. This is a 2 bedroom flat. It’s going to bankrupt thousands of people.

please can I ask those who have Tory MPs (in particular) to write to them and point out the injustice of this? It will take you a few mins only

many thanks
Letter sent to Julie Elliott MP chunkster.

Best of luck mate, that is an absolute shower of shite.

many thanks

Done Chunky lad, I wish I hadn’t had to do that but these are the times we are living in sadly.

Response from my MP:

Thank you for your email on the Fire Safety Bill.

As you are aware, recent attempts to protect leaseholders from burdening the cost of remedial fire safety work, were voted down by the Government. On 27 April and 28 April, Lords amendments 4J and 4L were put to the House respectively. Whilst I voted in favour of both amendments, they were again voted down by the Government. You can view my voting record here. I have voted in the House of Commons on this issue on a number of occasions and it is disappointing to see the Government repeatedly vote down this important issue that will affect many leaseholders across the country.

I, alongside my Labour colleagues have been pressing the Government on this issue since details of the scandal emerged.

On Monday 1 February 2021, the Labour Party called for a debate in the House of Commons to discuss protecting tenants and leaseholders in regards to the ongoing cladding crisis, led by Shadow Housing Secretary, Thangam Debbonaire MP. She called on the Government to urgently provide upfront funding to ensure cladding remediation can start immediately, to help those trapped in unsafe buildings. I voted with my party on this motion. Unfortunately, however, the Conservative Party chose to abstain on this important issue. You can view the debate here.

As Co Vice Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Fire and Rescue, I have seen the devastating effects of the cladding and building safety scandal, and the group has sought to raise this issue within Parliament on a number on occasions. Please find attached a response I have recently received from Lord Greenhalgh, Minister of State for Building Safety, Fire and Communities, on this issue.

Please accept my assurances that I will continue to hold the Government to account on this important issue.

Yours Sincerely,
Rt Hon Sir George Howarth
MP for Knowsley

The letter he attached from Lord Greenhalgh is here:

Logon or register to see this image

https://ibb.co/M8HwFVm

https://ibb.co/sRjbQ0D

Back