I look four months pregnant (alcoholism)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope soz mate, was speaking to a pretty knowledgeable guy who has lost a few stone using these powdered meals, he knows his stuff, wS adamant his nutriciianist. Said exersise although always good for you, will not decrease a beer belly, only way is to stop drinking.
If he's eating powdered meals he probably doesn't "know his stuff" to be honest. To get rid of a beer gut, which is just excess fat, you have to burn more calories than you consume. You can do this by exercise or diet or, more commonly, a combination of both.

The problem with a beer gut is, when losing weight, it is the last place it goes from. You can lose weight everywhere, including from said gut, but until you reach a low body fat percentage there will always be signs of fat.

I've lost a lot of fat (not that I considered myself fat in the first place) in the last few years and people comment that there isn't anything on me. But my target is to be sub 12% body fat. To do that the annoying excess fat around by belly (beer gut) has to go which I am working towards by being in a calorie deficit.

Isn't a bloke allowed around 2500 calories?,, I have an annoying beer belly, I only drink a couple of times a week and even then 2pts at most av tried eating salads etc no take awayss, exersise it's still there, am told exersise will do nowt got a beer gut, you can wLk20 miles. A day it won't help with a belly issue?
If you walk 20 miles a day, you're going to be burning a hell of a lot of calories. That will help with a beer gut. You'd have to be consuming a hell of a lot of calories to undo the calories burnt walking 20 miles. Calories in v calories out is everything you need to know about fat loss.

Last edited:

This is a good point anarl.
There’s nowt more tedious than those Robin Williams types who find it impossible to switch off and constantly think they have to be ‘on’ all the time.
That's not me, i'm not a hyper drunk. When I look back at those Robin Williams shows now, I feel knackered afterwards. I'm just an all ground good convo-maker. If i'm drunk it's hit and miss but in general. I've always been in one social group or another with like-minded people who like a laugh.

I was thinking this might be the issue.

Find it strange on alcohol threads that people mention "drinking alone" being one of the biggest issues.

Yes, it isn't great, but it's no different to drinking in any other situation.

I think it's this: many people are at home/alone much more than they are out. And may drink more on their own than with others - no conversation, not much around to distract. I think it's those two things which make it a big issue. Most people can't go out/can't afford to go out every night, so if they only drink out, they're drinking less than someone who does it night after night after night...

This is a good point anarl.
There’s nowt more tedious than those Robin Williams types who find it impossible to switch off and constantly think they have to be ‘on’ all the time.

its generally linked to some form of low self esteem and anxiety - maybe poor relationship with father growing up etc.

Don't agree with the last bit, I've had some right sessions at home, drinking alone. Love it, go to a beer shop, pick out some old favourites and a few new ones to try. Lovely.

Drinking alone and drinking at home aren't alcoholism, being addicted to alcohol is.

medicating yourself at home isn't a necessity though is it. It is a social drug so sitting at home drunk with no one to speak to apart from your music is a bit odd if done weekly.

That's what mine was.

how do you deal with social situations or work functions without alcohol?

Definitely love it in the summer especially

in winter - middle of January doing a jog across the sea front in howling winds, 5 or 6 am in the dark - its weird and not overly pleasant but when you get in it's class.

Last edited:
I used to work with a functioning alcoholic.
No one ever knew as he was a semi professional cyclist.

He used to work only 2-10 shifts. Drink from 10-3. Up at 8 then about 100 plus miles then work.

He was about 8 stone soaking wet.

Obviously it caught up with him and he collapsed.

Gave up cycling but carried on eating and drinking and he put 12 stone on in about 8 mths.

Sad state really.

My best mate had a mate at work whose toe dropped off a couple of weeks ago, then he died last week, all thru the drink. You know it’s time to stop when ya digits are falling off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back