I know you're on your dinner but.....

I always found it wise to book the time out in my calendar as well. Project Managers would have a habit of booking meetings between twelve and one saying "It's the only time everybody was free in their calendars". Aye, because they are on their dinner.
We have meetings booked for that reason and they get humpy when I’m not there. Pay me and I’ll go to that meeting or just ask and I’ll move my dinner time, I’m not inflexible but it’s my time.

We’ve got 2/3 car sitters like. Must just put the radio on and eat, one of them reads. I have my headphones in most of the day, usually go for a walk around the block if I’ve been in the computer all day. Working late all this week so I can have a half day Friday for royal blood.

Christ, reading these replies makes me realise there are some contrasting office jobs kicking about. We all generally casually eat at our desks whenever we like and i always go to the gym on my lunch (generous) hour. Will often stick a podcast on with headphones during work if i want and if there's important sporting events on terrestrial telly like Wimbledon, World Cup games etc then they'll generally be on a spare computer or on my phone in the background. Can browse the net during work as well.

Mostly just take those sort of things for granted. Probably be in for a shock if i ever moved on.

Last edited:
Used to sit at my desk and eat. I find hour lunches boring, I'd rather just get on and get shit done, but I've recently had an office move and we aren't allowed to be seen eating since there is a reception desk at one end. Means I now go into the staff room eat for 5-10mins then go back to my desk, inconvenient waste of time.

What does irk me more is now I am sitting working and someone comes up and stand behind me and waits for me to see them out of the back of my head and see what they want, it was so much better in my previous office where I just had a printer behind me and I could see everyone come through through the door out of the corner of my eye.

Do grown men really sit playing on their phones at bait time ?Only people I’ve encountered who do such a thing are young boys who struggle to hold a conversation with an other adult.

Do grown men really sit playing on their phones at bait time ?Only people I’ve encountered who do such a thing are young boys who struggle to hold a conversation with an other adult.
I catch up on stuff on me phone at dinner time if it’s been busy. News headlines, here, texts, and emails then I don’t have to do them at home when I know I’m not going to get answers to any questions I have

I catch up on stuff on me phone at dinner time if it’s been busy. News headlines, here, texts, and emails then I don’t have to do them at home when I know I’m not going to get answers to any questions I have
As do I ,but some spend 45mins glued to there phones giggling at videos on Facebook.

Fuck off, just fuck off

School boy error right there. Don't be near anyone when your having your bait.

Some people just can't live without work, their whole reason for being is work.

I'm out the door and forget about work until the next morning. Never understood people whose whole life is work, talking about work on nights out, every bloody conversation, work, work work

Unfortunately society/elites has manipulated swaths of people into believing that capitalism is the only future and that money is God. Sad really, making us all into serfs. There should always be a happy balance between graft and pleasure.

I normally just gan sit in the car if I can't be arsed to deal with people like.

I go to sleep in my car on my lunch. Power naps rule.

A previous boss of mine used to go and sit in the car for the entirety of his dinner hour.

Problem my friend????? :evil::evil::evil:

Last edited:
Tend to read on my dinner me. We don't all have a break at the same time so if someone has a question I don't mind answering. They wouldn't ask unless they had to. I just make sure I get me half hour.

Where I work we tend to be respectfully if somebody is obviously having their lunch.

That said, if I’m having lunch at my desk I wouldn’t mind being asked something because I’ll be sat there trying to do some work. If I want to get away I’ll go to the cafe or walk to the shops.

Used to sit at my desk and eat. I find hour lunches boring, I'd rather just get on and get shit done, but I've recently had an office move and we aren't allowed to be seen eating since there is a reception desk at one end. Means I now go into the staff room eat for 5-10mins then go back to my desk, inconvenient waste of time.

What does irk me more is now I am sitting working and someone comes up and stand behind me and waits for me to see them out of the back of my head and see what they want, it was so much better in my previous office where I just had a printer behind me and I could see everyone come through through the door out of the corner of my eye.
:lol:
Dear me, you can't think of anything interesting to do in an hour?

When I was a manager I would always look out for people who worked through their lunch. They were either poor at time management or overworked and likely to go off with stress or go postal.
Lunch breaks are there for a reason, both health and productivity wise. People who work through are no more productive, they just flag towards the end of the day.

Back