1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have something to do which I am at a loss to prepare for.

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Scimmy, May 18, 2017.

1. Beery

Beery Striker

Lots of good sensible replies.....

Therefore... is his Mrs a wad?

Stevie Freestein II likes this.
  2. FIVE

FIVE Winger

.....nee answers to be found on here. Id say youre on your own so good luck.

3. JAZZMANB

JAZZMANB Striker

Tough times ,everyone keep in touch ,it's easy not to but it's what we value when the bell rings for you

4. Have you got any photies of when you used hang about? If you have, get some copied and leave them with him. I'd like that if it was me and I'm sure his family would like to see some happy times when they are missing him later on.

Stevie Freestein II and Kevj like this.
  5. citybythesea

citybythesea Goalkeeper

Nothing can prepare you mate. Just reminisce about the good times and remember death comes to us all. Just let your words spill out naturally and say what you have to.
    I wish you all the strength in the world

6. haway

haway Striker

I have absolutely nothing to add to this thread about what to do as I have never been in a situation like that and wouldn't know what to do if I was. But best of luck, take it easy on yourself and be nice to yourself about it - it could bring up a load of emotions and just be open with yourself about how you're feeling. It'll be ok.

7. Ludwig

Ludwig Central Defender

Sorry to hear this mate, just go and visit him and be yourself ,I've got no doubt he'll know how you're feeling but I bet you both end up having a laugh about something ( this is meant in all sincerity and hope it's taken that way )

8. Spennymackem1981

Spennymackem1981 Central Defender

just go and take the piss mate and have a laugh

9. martinlumley

martinlumley Winger

Some good advice on here, just be yourself. A few years back my marra had lukemia and had been through chemo, bone marrow etc etc, and I got a call from his missus asking me to go and see him ( they lived in the midlands) as he wanted to talk to me. I thought the worst so I drove down one saturday morning, dreading what was ahead. When he opened the door he looked dreadful, down to about 6 stone and no hair left. I just burst out laughing, and said 'fucking hell, its Yoda!', totally inappropriate but I couldnt help it. It completely broke the ice, and we had a great weekend, catching up on the crack and taking the piss. He was in a bad way but I'm delighted to say he recovered, but we still talk about that day, and, as someone else said on here, he just wanted a bit lads crack. I hope it goes ok for you marra, just be the mate that he's asked for.

10. We have a saying "can I have your cds " when one of the lads is going to do summit daft.

11. Scimmy

Scimmy Striker

Thanks for all the good advice people. Unfortunately I'm not going to have the chance to use it. I was planning to go and see my pal this afternoon, but got a call from his wife half an hour agoto tell me that he took bad yesterday and passed away quickly. I said what everyone says in situations like this, "II'm so sorry blah blah.....it's a good thing he was spared too much suffering blah blah blah". His now widow told me she is in shock and will be in touch about the funeral.

I'm so glad for him that he got a quick getaway, but there's a horrible selfish shrivelled part of me that is relieved that I have been spared the distressing last conversation with my mate. I'll remember him as I knew him.

12. Geronimo

Geronimo Striker

Go and see him and play it by ear. It'll be OK.

If you don't go you'll regret it when he's gone.

13. Scimmy

Scimmy Striker

See post above Marra.

14. The Archer

The Archer Striker

Bloody hell sorry to hear that.

15. I was about to offer some advice, then saw what's happened. Awful news mate. Like you said, he's no longer suffering but that won't seem much of a consolation at the moment.

16. ajthemackem

ajthemackem Striker

Mate, I'm so sorry.

Stevie Freestein II and Scimmy like this.
  17. Tex

Tex Striker

Hard to bear marra.
    Your intentions were good. He's no longer suffering. Don't feel bad about that.

18. Boris Bear

Boris Bear Striker

Much love marra

Scimmy likes this.
  19. A bit harsh? I think that @dom was implying that it's difficult to offer advice when a lot of people haven't had to deal with this situation. Sometimes things can be easily misconstrued on here but I've found him to be a sound bloke.

Personally in this scenario I'd break the ice by talking about sexual conquests as 20 year olds, with the usual gross exaggerations. While his Mrs is out shopping of course.

Edit: so sorry to hear about the OP's friend.

You have my condolences. One of my mates passed away 2 weeks ago. I'm feeling bad that I won't be able to attend his funeral. Instead I'll take a card to his kids and wife but I'm still thinking of the right words. So far all I have to offer are daft anecdotes going back to when we were at infants school, or from crazy Med holidays.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    dom likes this.
  20. haway

haway Striker

Sorry to hear that.