I don’t want to go to Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

For the last few years me, the wife and a handful of our couple friends have occasionally went on holiday together. Last night we were out for a drink with them and Turkey was one of the destinations mentioned. I do not and have never fancied Turkey as a holiday and hence it won’t be happening. Am I correct in thinking the place would be a stinking hellhole or do people actually enjoy it?
I was in the airport when 41 people were shot and killed. Sort of put me off the place.

I still travel thru there at times for work but go straight to gate. lol

Istanbul is one of my favourite cities to visit. A fine plend of ancient and modern. Its stunning in parts, much more cosmopolitan than people realise and has a cool up and coming youth scene.

Didn't like Bodrum mind, boring as fuck.

Istanbul is outstanding.

The Turkish coast heading East from Fethiye is tremendous too. Not so much Bodrum, Altinkum heading west.

The people are very hospitable - unlike a lot of France and Spain - and the facilities are on the whole, excellent. Most young people there speak very good English too

our lass' (no) dad has a house in Ozdere, near Izmir. Was beautiful, clear ocean, 45 degree heat. Locals were very welcoming and made me feel at home. I would highly recommend Turkey to anyone. Only downside is a lot of places have stopped selling booze since Erdogan came in. Easy way to judge the scratter areas is what airlines fly there. If theres loads of EasyJet/Jet2/Ryanair flights from scratter airports then you know to stay clear :lol:

Only place I've been where the waiters will try and chat up your lass while your sat next to them :lol:

This. I went 20 odd years ago with my bird at the time and it was constant.
We were also in a club where a couple of young British lasses were dancing a flirting with local Turkish lads (loads of them) and, when they walked out, literally 20 of the lads followed them. That wasn't going to end well.

You couldnt
For the last few years me, the wife and a handful of our couple friends have occasionally went on holiday together. Last night we were out for a drink with them and Turkey was one of the destinations mentioned. I do not and have never fancied Turkey as a holiday and hence it won’t be happening. Am I correct in thinking the place would be a stinking hellhole or do people actually enjoy it?
Arabs am out

Turkey's one of those places where you can have a lovely resort surrounded by nothing but absolute shite. It really depends on where you go but our lass hated it when she went.

Apparently Instanbul was Constantinople, but now it’s Istanbul not Constantinople, why did Constantinople become Istanbul? Why did Constantinople get the works? That’s nobodies business but the Turks.

Istanbul is one of my favourite cities to visit. A fine plend of ancient and modern. Its stunning in parts, much more cosmopolitan than people realise and has a cool up and coming youth scene.

Didn't like Bodrum mind, boring as fuck.
We docked at Bodrum for the day on a recent cruise, I stayed on the ship:lol::lol:

Istanbul is outstanding.

The Turkish coast heading East from Fethiye is tremendous too. Not so much Bodrum, Altinkum heading west.

The people are very hospitable - unlike a lot of France and Spain - and the facilities are on the whole, excellent. Most young people there speak very good English too

Spot on. Loved waiting for the fishermen to come in with their fresh catch. Mackerel sandwiches with pickle on the river having crack with them was class.

Can also tell there's a fair bit of cash knocking about. Young men rocking up in ferrari or by boat, with a losd of women on hand, going to the clubs.

We docked at Bodrum for the day on a recent cruise, I stayed on the ship:lol::lol:

:lol:

Turkey's one of those places where you can have a lovely resort surrounded by nothing but absolute shite. It really depends on where you go but our lass hated it when she went.

Adds to the weight of evidence suggesting resort holidays are shite.

Last edited:
Spot on. Loved waiting for the fishermen to come in with their fresh catch. Mackerel sandwiches with pickle on the river having crack with them was class.

Can also tell there's a fair bit of cash knocking about. Young men rocking up in ferrari or by boat, with a losd of women on hand, going to the clubs.

:lol:

Adds to the weight of evidence suggesting resort holidays are shite.
I think the idea was they would spend as little time on the resort as possible and see the local area. But her sister has blonde hair so she got harassed every time they went into town so she was pissed off. Our lass hated the food so lived off continental breakfast for 2 weeks and their mam got really bad sunburn. I think the only one who had any fun was her Dad

I think the idea was they would spend as little time on the resort as possible and see the local area. But her sister has blonde hair so she got harassed every time they went into town so she was pissed off. Our lass hated the food so lived off continental breakfast for 2 weeks and their mam got really bad sunburn. I think the only one who had any fun was her Dad

Suppose that's another part of the problem. Resorts are often in the middle of nowhere, designed to keep you there. Not ideal if you're someone who doesn't like the local food either, if venturing out and about.

going to fetihya in 5 weeks time, can't wait ! :cool:

You'll have to :D

Suppose that's another part of the problem. Resorts are often in the middle of nowhere, designed to keep you there. Not ideal if you're someone who doesn't like the local food either, if venturing out and about.

You'll have to :D
I'm, not a fan of then tbh but then again I'm not really one to sit in the sun next to a pool all day. I'd rather actual see something.... like what the local bars look like... or do something.... like drink the local beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back