I dont like consortiums

We have higher standards on this message board :mad:
Define both "we" and "higher standards".

The Shorter OED confirms the correct use of both consortia and consortiums but suggests that, since the early 19th century, the latter form is now chiefly favoured in the USA.

The New Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors approves the use of both forms. New Hart's Rules confirms the use of both, suggesting that the English form (in this case consortiums) be preferred over the Latinate (especially when used in non-technical contexts).

Last edited:

The Shorter OED confirms the correct use of both consortia and consortiums but suggests that, since the early 19th century, the latter form is now chiefly favoured in the USA.

The New Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors approves the use of both forms. New Hart's Rules confirms the use of both, suggesting that the English form (in this case consortiums) be preferred over the Latinate (especially when used in non-technical contexts).

Any country that can spell the thirteenth element in the periodic table "aluminum", or abbreviate mathematics to a singular, has no credence as a source of linguistic accuracy :)

Any country that can spell the thirteenth element in the periodic table "aluminum", or abbreviate mathematics to a singular, has no credence as a source of linguistic accuracy :)
Sorry. Mea culpa. I should have said "favored". However, both forms remain correct, whether we like it or not. Exercise your choice wisely. Do the math, you guys.

They have been out since the 50's, was the poverty spec Zephyr, was dropped in the mid 60's then when the Granada was launched they resurrected the name.
They made the Granada shaped Consul in 1972, the Granada was made after, a round 1974. Not made together.

They made the Granada shaped Consul in 1972, the Granada was made after, a round 1974. Not made together.
I'm wrong there is make them together

Last edited:

It was a joke

You are a cunning linguist indeed.

Last edited:
If you've had a classical education, it's definitely consortia, just as more than one agenda is still agenda, because the word's already plural.
The word Agenda is always "plurzl" because it is a collective noun. An example would be a list of goals, objectives, deliverables and tasks/activities. Maybe a project.

I know that it is a personal view, however I prefer to use the Latinate because the other Latin languages, especially the pure descendents, stay with Latin. That means that I can communicate more easily in France, Spain, Italy etc. Even though my home is in Occitania where corruption often occurs.

Nicely put.

The sooner we accept that a core of the Americans have no respect for their own language, the sooner we can ask them to call it American and get on with our own lives.

Many people on here use American spelling. I dislike that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that it is a personal view, however I prefer to use the Latinate because the other Latin languages, especially the pure descendents, stay with Latin. That means that I can communicate more easily in France, Spain, Italy etc. Even though my home is in Occitania where corruption often occurs.

Is that the plural of Occitanium? ;)

Last edited:

Nicely put.

The sooner we accept that a core of the Americans have no respect for their own language, the sooner we can ask them to call it American and get on with our own lives.

Many people on here use American spelling. I dislike that.
Well reasoned. I tend to agree, both in principle & personal usage. I only raised the matter in the first place because, on occasion, I have been known to take inordinate pleasure in seeing someone fall flat on his face whilst attempting to pull someone else down.

Back