'I didn't think I'd done anything wrong': Jonny Bairstow feels he was dumped unfairly from England's Test team

love this response. my grandad always told me the most important thing when batting is to be patient and protect your wicket. if the runs don't come over time, then the reality is you're facing a bloody good bowling team.
He has the same flaws in his technique that he had 8 years ago, bowled through the gate, and has done nothing to rectify it.
Different level obviously, but when I first moved into the Durham Senior League after playing for years in the Coast League I was told by one of the 'old hands' that if I wanted to establish myself as a top-order batsman it was not acceptable to be bowled every other innings.

It was 'acceptable' to be out caught, stumped, even LBW, as the first couple showed some sort of attacking intent and the last showed you were at least protecting your stumps. Bowled was a complete 'no-no' for a top-order batsman.

Needless to say, I spent the majority of my time in the Senior League batting in the middle-order.

The only thing I’d say in his defence is that he should be given a chance to play as a pure batsman, perhaps ahead of Buttler. If he fails in a few tests of doing that then bin for good.

The only thing I’d say in his defence is that he should be given a chance to play as a pure batsman, perhaps ahead of Buttler. If he fails in a few tests of doing that then bin for good.
Last time that happened he went in the huff 😀
Different level obviously, but when I first moved into the Durham Senior League after playing for years in the Coast League I was told by one of the 'old hands' that if I wanted to establish myself as a top-order batsman it was not acceptable to be bowled every other innings.

It was 'acceptable' to be out caught, stumped, even LBW, as the first couple showed some sort of attacking intent and the last showed you were at least protecting your stumps. Bowled was a complete 'no-no' for a top-order batsman.

Needless to say, I spent the majority of my time in the Senior League batting in the middle-order.
Exactly right. Being bowled is the worst kind of dismissal, basically because you’ve missed the ball, especially for a main batsman.
He gets out this way regularly and it’s not just because he’s trying to turn everything to leg

btw - how long ago did you play in the Coast League ?

Last edited:

Exactly right. Being bowled is the worst kind of dismissal, basically because you’ve missed the ball, especially for a main batsman.
He gets out this way regularly and it’s not just because he’s trying to turn everything to leg
Played from early '80s to 1986. Based on the fact that I think I was 18 when I moved up a League - it's along time ago so I'm not sure.

Edit - I moved back down for about 4 years in the early '90s before going back again.
my era as well

He has the same flaws in his technique that he had 8 years ago, bowled through the gate, and has done nothing to rectify it.

He does appear to be very self centred
It's quite amazing how many players have a flaw in their technique exposed at Test level then stoutly refuse to do anything about it - Ballance and his back foot obsession, Jennings and his weakness outside off stump, Bairstow and his 3 mile gap between bat and pad. The sheer arrogance of it is quite amusing

Hasn't he had that chance already? Earlier in his career? He only wants to gloves because he knows he can get away with an average in the mid-30s

It's quite amazing how many players have a flaw in their technique exposed at Test level then stoutly refuse to do anything about it - Ballance and his back foot obsession, Jennings and his weakness outside off stump, Bairstow and his 3 mile gap between bat and pad. The sheer arrogance of it is quite amusing

Steve Waugh one of the rare ones who did work on a flaw. Early in his career he kept getting out hooking and eventually got dropped and replaced by his brother. Aussie batsmen have it drummed in that being able to hook and pull fast bowlers makes a good batsman great but he just decided to cut it out from his game. Some people like Ian Chappell thought it was a bit of a weak move though.

Steve Waugh one of the rare ones who did work on a flaw. Early in his career he kept getting out hooking and eventually got dropped and replaced by his brother. Aussie batsmen have it drummed in that being able to hook and pull fast bowlers makes a good batsman great but he just decided to cut it out from his game. Some people like Ian Chappell thought it was a bit of a weak move though.
I think it's a very smart move. There are so many shots available to a batsman that putting one away if it's your weakness is a very sensible thing to do

Urgh, we really do have some idiots on here.

The most distasteful thing I find with people who post this stuff, is the personal insults he gets regarding why he values being wicketkeeper so much

I mean, isn't it fairly obvious why he might value wicket keeping above most things in his life??????? Christ.

Never hear this level of abuse at the games home n away btw.

The most distasteful thing I find with people who post this stuff, is the personal insults he gets regarding why he values being wicketkeeper so much

I mean, isn't it fairly obvious why he might value wicket keeping above most things in his life??????? Christ.

If only his defence was as firm as yours.

Certainly agree with your 1st sentence.

Contrasting opinions on a discussion forum .... that’s what it’s all about.

Back