Hypothyroidism - underactive thyroid

Status
Not open for further replies.
feel like a proper nana, got diagnosed with this a year ago after having palpitations whilst running, ECG etc then blood tests.

Anyone suffer from this, still getting my meds sorted, everything's hard work and I could sleep standing up!

Yes, I have an under-active thyroid. Got diagnosed with it a few years ago. Same as you, getting tired easily, falling asleep at will, dry skin, and irritable.
Your G.P. will probably start you off on Thyroxin tablets after a blood test.
Once your levels are sorted, all it means is taking your meds as soon as you wake up in the morning, and wait about 1/2 hour before eating.
You will be on this for the rest of your life once you start taking Thyroxin.
But you will be allowed to have free prescriptions - just fill in an exemption form.

But the tablets will get you back to normal.

Yes, I have an under-active thyroid. Got diagnosed with it a few years ago. Same as you, getting tired easily, falling asleep at will, dry skin, and irritable.
Once your levels are sorted, all it means is taking your meds as soon as you wake up in the morning, and wait about 1/2 hour before eating.
But you will be allowed to have free prescriptions - just fill in an exemption form.

So how are you day to day, aslong as tablets are taken, and what if any side effects might occur?

feel like a proper nana, got diagnosed with this a year ago after having palpitations whilst running, ECG etc then blood tests.

Anyone suffer from this, still getting my meds sorted, everything's hard work and I could sleep standing up!
My mother

Sorted now but she went through a bad spell for a good 18 months till it was diagnosed properly

Good luck

4 years now and feel no better.
Felt like they've never sorted it properly.
Blood tests come in low, go back two weeks later they are ok.

Just learnt to live with it.

Funny thing was initially the doctor said I was depressed and gave me happy pills.
This disease has similar symptoms.

How do you get free prescriptions ?

I wonder whether I might have have this. I'm always tired, can put weight on if I eat a bag of crisps (was never like this-I'm getting old though), poor circulation, dry skin, very slow healer (symptom? , again was never like this) .. Do I just ask the doc for a blood test..

I was wondering this too. My daughter is disabled and among other things has to take 75mg Thyroxin daily. She is 17 and still goes to school full time so gets her prescriptions free anyway but I had no idea she would get them free because she is on Thyroxin. Which box would you tick on the back of the prescription?

I was wondering this too. My daughter is disabled and among other things has to take 75mg Thyroxin daily. She is 17 and still goes to school full time so gets her prescriptions free anyway but I had no idea she would get them free because she is on Thyroxin. Which box would you tick on the back of the prescription?
If you have one of the conditions listed below you can apply for an exemption certificate so that you don’t have to pay for your prescriptions. This will include any prescriptions for other medical conditions you may have:

• A permanent fistula which needs continuous surgical dressing or an appliance (i.e. caecostomy, colostomy, larynges-tomy or ileostomy)
  • Treatment for cancer; note this includes treatment for the effects of cancer, or treatment for the effects of a current or previous cancer treatment
  • A form of hypoadrenalism such as Addison's disease for which specific substitution therapy is essential
  • Diabetes insipidus and other forms of hypopituitarism
  • Diabetes mellitus except where treatment is by diet alone
  • Hypoparathyroidism
  • Myxoedema (hypothyroidism which needs thyroid hormone replacement)
  • Myasthenia gravis
  • Epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive therapy
  • A continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without help from another person
If you are not sure about the name of your condition, ask your doctor. He can advise you about free prescriptions but you need to find out yourself if you are entitled to an exemption certificate.

If you have one of the conditions listed below you can apply for an exemption certificate so that you don’t have to pay for your prescriptions. This will include any prescriptions for other medical conditions you may have:

• A permanent fistula which needs continuous surgical dressing or an appliance (i.e. caecostomy, colostomy, larynges-tomy or ileostomy)
  • Treatment for cancer; note this includes treatment for the effects of cancer, or treatment for the effects of a current or previous cancer treatment
  • A form of hypoadrenalism such as Addison's disease for which specific substitution therapy is essential
  • Diabetes insipidus and other forms of hypopituitarism
  • Diabetes mellitus except where treatment is by diet alone
  • Hypoparathyroidism
  • Myxoedema (hypothyroidism which needs thyroid hormone replacement)
  • Myasthenia gravis
  • Epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive therapy
  • A continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without help from another person
If you are not sure about the name of your condition, ask your doctor. He can advise you about free prescriptions but you need to find out yourself if you are entitled to an exemption certificate.

Cheers, she would be entitled anyway by the sounds of that as she is physically and mentally disabled and needs 24 hour care. I hadn't really thought about her prescriptions once she leaves school but by that it seems like she will continue to get them free.

Cheers, she would be entitled anyway by the sounds of that as she is physically and mentally disabled and needs 24 hour care. I hadn't really thought about her prescriptions once she leaves school but by that it seems like she will continue to get them free.
Even if she wasn't medically exempt requiring 24 hour care would fall within another category of exemption such as HC2 certificate so I wouldn't worry about having to pay for prescriptions under any circumstances

Reactions: ATS
I wonder whether I might have have this. I'm always tired, can put weight on if I eat a bag of crisps (was never like this-I'm getting old though), poor circulation, dry skin, very slow healer (symptom? , again was never like this) .. Do I just ask the doc for a blood test..

Yes pop and see the GP and explain what is going on and they'll refer you for a blood test.

Both parents have it. Once they got stabalised, they were fine just taking the pills each day. You get regular blood tests to keep an eye on things and they can adjust your meds if it looks like it's going haywire.

Definitely apply for free prescriptions. That covers all of the prescriptions you may need, including non-thyroid related conditions.

You fill in a form, and it gets sent off via your G.P. and the NHS send you back an exemption certificate which is the size of a credit card. Whenever you need a prescription, you present the card with the script at the pharmacy. On the back of the script is a tick-box for medical exemption.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/exemption-certificates/medical-exemption-certificates

Aye, just ask at your G.P.'s

Cheers for the replies. I'm on 75mg daily but still feel crap. Lifestyle may add to the woe but just exhausted, memory is appalling!! Going to ask for more blood tests....

This basically. Blood tests every year just to make sure you're on the right meds.

I've had it about 10 year. Had a weird episode of it flipping to overactive for a few months which was f***ing shit but it's back to under now.

Cheers for the replies. I'm on 75mg daily but still feel crap. Lifestyle may add to the woe but just exhausted, memory is appalling!! Going to ask for more blood tests....
Might just need a bigger dose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back