Hybrid motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks all.....
I like the look of the Mitsi' and they're selling by the shitload...

Will check out the CHR too..

Just a way of giving needlessly-large cars a "respectable" mpg rate. You'll never make savings due to the increased purchase price, unless you qualify for some tax subsidy like company car tax or congestion charge etc.

Just a way of giving needlessly-large cars a "respectable" mpg rate. You'll never make savings due to the increased purchase price, unless you qualify for some tax subsidy like company car tax or congestion charge etc.

A far more environmentally friendly option than even modern diesels.

We have a Toyota Auris Estate hybrid.
52 mpg overall. Quiet, comfortable, pretty well equipped and reasonably spacious. Nippy in sport mode but that hammers mpg.
Overall opinion: worthy but a bit bland.

Family member has Lexus CT200H. Same running gear but far more bells and whistles. Performance and mpg very similar to Auris but steering and suspension seem much sharper. Probably most enjoyable hybrid to use every day but it comes at a hefty premium.

The new Hyundai Ioniq seems to be getting some rave reviews. I think the plug in hybrid version has just been announced which could be interesting.

I have a hybrid. Excellent on fuel and it still has a 2.5L engine to make motorway journeys comfortable

Only thing that takes a bit of getting used to is the whine of the hybrid battery as you pull away or come to a stop

I should also add that they come into their own in urban driving conditions where it's often stop start. Probably wouldn't recommend one for someone who lives rurally and drives up and down hilly roads where you need more oomph

Toyota prius.....great.
Yep. The hybrid is a very decent car. Surprisingly pleasant to drive but for me exterior styling is pretty insipid.

I have a hybrid. Excellent on fuel and it still has a 2.5L engine to make motorway journeys comfortable

Only thing that takes a bit of getting used to is the whine of the hybrid battery as you pull away or come to a stop

I should also add that they come into their own in urban driving conditions where it's often stop start. Probably wouldn't recommend one for someone who lives rurally and drives up and down hilly roads where you need more oomph
What model?

Outlander PHEV - lovely car and a smooth ride. Gives you a bit of motion sickness until you get used to it as it is so smooth. Also recharges when you are moving and don't have your foot on the accelerator so you can always get a few extra miles on your journey.
Only drawbacks for me are when you are in petrol mode the gear selection is sometimes a bit sketchy with it being automatic. Makes you sound like a terrible driver sometimes if you are driving uphill and it is screaming away in a low gear. Also people don't tend to hear the car so you have to be more aware when there are loads of pedestrians about!

Very nice.

battery only lasts till 10mph iirc. bit of a gimmick.
Not at all.

To get the best out of the standard Prius, Lexus, Auris 1.8 hybrid set up then you need to alter your driving style a touch.

Depending upon conditions you can keep to 40mph with battery power alone.

As someone has already mentioned I'm not sure if the current hybrids would be particularly efficient for rural or regular long distance use but for slow speed urban commuting they are ideal.

For example most of the run through the town and along the coast road to Shields will be in ev mode and fuel consumption for that journey could be 65mpg plus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back