Hull City Fans be scared

The last owner who gave them the most successful 10 years in their entire history you mean?

He was and is a total prick mate.

Would you want to be called Sunderland Black Cats?
Bit harsh, they halted their decline and got promoted again, and seemingly have upward momentum. They've spent the majority of the last decade in the top 2 divisions, have a solid fanbase and a good sized stadium. They're a decent club
Apart from some of the horror of the 80s and 90s, we’ve been solidly a second tier side throughout the majority of our history (Saturday’s win we became the 7th club to hit 700 second tier wins).

Not crowing about any of that by the way, as a club, we should have achieved a lot more and be better supported. Although having two rugby clubs situated in your city is like having two extra League 1 clubs to compete with. It’s quite common for these fans to be indifferent to City, or even support out of town clubs. Local politics often protects the RL clubs too, both clubs founded before City – think Hull FC was 1865 – so they’re both deeply embedded.

Our support had a post-war boom – not quite hitting the 40k average like a few select clubs, but I think we still hold the third tier attendance record for a league match. But our support seemed to decline, like many clubs, in the 70s/80s/90s (this also coincided with a boom of both RL clubs)

We got some back in the 2000s but the Allams seemed to have done their best to drag us back again.

Well, they say football is cyclical right. Hull could well slip back to the fourth division whence they came fairly soon...

I'm sure GOM will be able to tell you better than me, but my understanding is almost all of them are fucked financially

This doesn't surprise me mate. I remember reading Blackburn were around £200m in debt a year or so ago. Unsure how they are where they are tbh when you see what's happening to Derby. Fulham too had at the time debts over £150m.

Any thoughts @Grumpy Old Man ?

Last edited:
@Grumpy Old Man do you know if any championship clubs are seriously struggling financially? I' surprised to see Blackburn at the top, they never really attracted large crowds outside the PL, have they invested well or spent above their means?
Any of them not getting parachute payments, and possibly the three promoted clubs from last season, who haven't had a chance to get fully into the Championship mode of forgetting any business acumen you ever had. Most teams have wages running at over 100% of turnover, and paying transfer fees which require more and more owner investment or loans. The entire division needs closing down and starting again.

This doesn't surprise me mate. I remember reading Blackburn were around £200m in debt a year or so ago. Unsure how they are where they are tbh when you see what's happening to Derby. Fulham too had at the time debts over £150m.

@Grumpy Old Man was saying on another thread that Birmingham looks in a worst state than even Derby. I wonder if they are the worst? QPR is always a shambles, Boro would be fucked without Gibson and Reading had points off them last year I think for financial reasons?

2020 accounts show at £141m debt to the owners. They've since issued £30m is shares, presumably to ensure compliance with FFP. The only external debt was a £14m overdraft.

He was and is a total prick mate.

Would you want to be called Sunderland Black Cats?

Apart from some of the horror of the 80s and 90s, we’ve been solidly a second tier side throughout the majority of our history (Saturday’s win we became the 7th club to hit 700 second tier wins).

Not crowing about any of that by the way, as a club, we should have achieved a lot more and be better supported. Although having two rugby clubs situated in your city is like having two extra League 1 clubs to compete with. It’s quite common for these fans to be indifferent to City, or even support out of town clubs. Local politics often protects the RL clubs too, both clubs founded before City – think Hull FC was 1865 – so they’re both deeply embedded.

Our support had a post-war boom – not quite hitting the 40k average like a few select clubs, but I think we still hold the third tier attendance record for a league match. But our support seemed to decline, like many clubs, in the 70s/80s/90s (this also coincided with a boom of both RL clubs)

We got some back in the 2000s but the Allams seemed to have done their best to drag us back again.
Yes I would love it if our owners changed our name to Sunderland Black cats, IF it meant we had our most successful owners in our entire history.

Any of them not getting parachute payments, and possibly the three promoted clubs from last season, who haven't had a chance to get fully into the Championship mode of forgetting any business acumen you ever had. Most teams have wages running at over 100% of turnover, and paying transfer fees which require more and more owner investment or loans. The entire division needs closing down and starting again.

How do you think we'll fair if we're promoted?

can see hull being a right financial mess in 3 or 4 years

Hopefully we have our house in order and well prepared to take advantage of it.
Better than most. We'd be going in in reasonable financial shape, and with a recruitment model designed to get bangs for the buck. KLD will probably need to provide some seed capital, but the model is likely to be more Brentford/Huddersfield than Derby/Villa.

That's comforting!

Back