Huel

Its just the latest fad. Branded in such a way to try and make itself appropriate to todays market.
You will not carry on eating/drinking this shite for the rest of your life so it teaches you nothing about good sustainable nutrition. You might have some results using it but as soon as you stop using it you will not know what do to and so go back to your previous nutritional mistakes.
All you need for long term weight loss is a nutrition plan consisting of lean meats, fish, veg and limited potatoes/rice for your main meals. Then snack on some limited amouts of fruit/nuts/seeds. Cut out processed foods as much as possible. Its that simple.

Last edited:

Its just the latest fad. Branded in such a way to try and make itself appropriate to todays market.
You will not carry on eating/drinking this shite for the rest of your life so it teaches you nothing about good sustainable nutrition. You might have some results using it but as soon as you stop using it you will not know what do to and so go back to your previous nutritional mistakes.
All you need for long term weight loss is a nutrition plan consisting of lean meats, fish, veg and limited potatoes/rice for your main meals. Then snack on some limited amouts of fruit/nuts/seeds. Cut out processed foods as much as possible. Its that simple.
For 3 meals a day I totally agree.

To replace meals where people find it hard to eat well, such as office lunches. Then it has a place imo.

To replace meals where people find it hard to eat well, such as office lunches. Then it has a place imo.

If somebody doesnt have the ability to open a tin of tuna and chuck it over some salad leaves or pasta in an office environment, then I question how determined they are to improve their nutrition.
For workers on buiding sites or other such manual jobs where they might have nowhere to prepare a meal then I might give a nod of understanding. Even then its not especially onerous.

If somebody doesnt have the ability to open a tin of tuna and chuck it over some salad leaves or pasta in an office environment, then I question how determined they are to improve their nutrition.
For workers on buiding sites or other such manual jobs where they might have nowhere to prepare a meal then I might give a nod of understanding. Even then its not especially onerous.
Some people really don't have time.

Anyway, I prefer the taste of huel to dry tuna on salad leaves. Honestly. More fibre too.

I genuinely dont have the time to make lunch the night before, or have time to make and eat it at work. I have to eat while I work and Huel is perfect for my needs.

Problem is it teaches people nothing about good nutritional habits. Salad and tuna was just an example of something simple to make. When people using huel or whatever get bored of drinking their lunch they will invariably go back to whatever they were doing before, usually crap food purchased from or near their place of work. Yes eating well takes effort in terms of planning and prep but im afraid there are no short cuts that are beneficial in the long time in this area. If you say you dont have 10 minutes to prep a healthy meal then I will take your word for it, makes no diffence to me. Obviously one can assume that neither do you have time to watch tv / read / play video games / go on the internet of an everning.

Problem is it teaches people nothing about good nutritional habits. Salad and tuna was just an example of something simple to make. When people using huel or whatever get bored of drinking their lunch they will invariably go back to whatever they were doing before, usually crap food purchased from or near their place of work. Yes eating well takes effort in terms of planning and prep but im afraid there are no short cuts that are beneficial in the long time in this area. If you say you dont have 10 minutes to prep a healthy meal then I will take your word for it, makes no diffence to me. Obviously one can assume that neither do you have time to watch tv / read / play video games / go on the internet of an everning.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you've no idea what you're talking about in that last bit.
Don't assume your life is the same as every one else's.

For example, I'm going to bed by 8pm most of the time lately. I get about 20 mins to myself most nights once all 3 kids are asleep.
Am I fuck doing meal prep with that time.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you've no idea what you're talking about in that last bit.
Don't assume your life is the same as every one else's.

For example, I'm going to bed by 8pm most of the time lately. I get about 20 mins to myself most nights once all 3 kids are asleep.
Am I fuck doing meal prep with that time.

I have not assumed anything; As I said
If you say you dont have 10 minutes to prep a healthy meal then I will take your word for it
No need to get defensive. Its totally understandable when people have busy lives they would rather chill before bed than prep food and of course kids should always be top priority, no exceptions.
Im just commenting on past experience in this field, the reality is that when people say they dont have time what they actually mean is I would rather do something else. I dont mean that in a negative way, its just better that people are being honest with themselves.
Anyhow, as I also said, it makes no difference to me.

Last edited:
If you say you dont have 10 minutes to prep a healthy meal then I will take your word for it
No need to get defensive. Its totally understandable when people have busy lives they would rather chill before bed than prep food and of course kids should always be top priority, no exceptions.
Im just commenting on past experience in this field, the reality is that when people say they dont have time what they actually mean is I would rather do something else. I dont mean that in a negative way, its just better that people are being honest with themselves.

Wise words that warrant wider readership than the Huel thread to me. I've found that realising that all that I do is down to my choices is extremely liberating. As you say, 'I don't have time' can invariably substituted with 'I don't currently rank that as important enough', which you may be completely comfortable with, or you may not, and therefore need to do something different to change it. But you make that decision. And that applies to every way you spend your time, not just food prep.

Agree with this. Most people in offices make the effort to have a stash of crisps or sweets, and there's usually fridge/microwaves in convenient reach as a rule.

Well, that's me Huel made ready for work tomorrow. Along with steel cut oats with dried fruits (probably also going into work as I'll not get chance to eat it before I get to the car).

That's my last Huel v2.1 - Ordered a new batch just before Xmas, and its their new v3 blend, which I'm hearing it quite different - much smoother, but less fibre (so less farts).

The less fibre bit does bother me - I'm using Huel partly as a way to make up for a lack of fibre in the rest of my diet - so this change doesn't help me.

You have made some excellent points.

When people sign up for gyms and fitness classes they’d be better rewarded if they signed up to cookery classes or used the time to prepare food for the oncoming week.

You have made some excellent points.

When people sign up for gyms and fitness classes they’d be better rewarded if they signed up to cookery classes or used the time to prepare food for the oncoming week.
A "gym" where you make meals for the next 2 days?

Once many people get into their own homes, "life" takes over. I found that going to the gym on the way home was an excellent way around this problem.

A "gym" where you make meals for the next 2 days?

Once many people get into their own homes, "life" takes over. I found that going to the gym on the way home was an excellent way around this problem.
My point was that diet is more important than exercise.

If someone forces themselves to a gym twice a week then imho they would spend the 2-3 hours more profitably by cooking some decent food to eat at work.

My point was that diet is more important than exercise.

If someone forces themselves to a gym twice a week then imho they would spend the 2-3 hours more profitably by cooking some decent food to eat at work.
Ah, I knew what you meant. And I agree - fixing diet is probably #1 on the list of things to do to be healthy. And turns out its much harder than doing 3 x 1hr exercise per week tbh.

I was pointing out that for some people, going to the gym means being out of the house - and that's time that there's not a wife and kids who take your time.
There's something about being out of the house that makes your time "more available" compared to being in the house, where there is a million other things that need doing.

At least, that's an issue for me.

Ah, I knew what you meant. And I agree - fixing diet is probably #1 on the list of things to do to be healthy. And turns out its much harder than doing 3 x 1hr exercise per week tbh.

I was pointing out that for some people, going to the gym means being out of the house - and that's time that there's not a wife and kids who take your time.
There's something about being out of the house that makes your time "more available" compared to being in the house, where there is a million other things that need doing.

At least, that's an issue for me.
I agree, I usually go to the gym or have a run during my work dinner break, and I don’t work on a Friday.

Plus the gym at work (university) also has classes so I’m doing Pilates today. A break from work and a break from the family life.

I've read a lot about Huel. I am far too busy to eat breakfast and lunch. I'm hoping this provides me a regular meal. Anyone tried Banana?

Back