Huel: meal replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bagpuss

Been using this a few weeks and it is quality.......Essentially they have created a protein style shake but with the perfect balance of slow burning carbs, proteins and fats plus the entire profile of vitamins.....Essentially you could replace all your meals with this and probably be massively more healthy than most of us are.

I am using it at work for breakfast and lunch and feeling really well on it.......Works out at about £1.50 a shake so cheaper than eating at work used to be (by a long way) and its nice knowing that I am getting exactly what my body needs. Also cuts down huge amounts of wasted time at work so not having to take as much work home........2000 calories a day returns 150g of Protein too so bang on....Oh and its Vegan so from plant sources and great for the environment.

Really looking forward to trying it in an ultra distance race as think it could really make a difference with race nutrition.

Would also be an immense post workout "meal"

https://huel.com/pages/nutritional-information-and-ingredients

Been using this a few weeks and it is quality.......Essentially they have created a protein style shake but with the perfect balance of slow burning carbs, proteins and fats plus the entire profile of vitamins.....Essentially you could replace all your meals with this and probably be massively more healthy than most of us are.

I am using it at work for breakfast and lunch and feeling really well on it.......Works out at about £1.50 a shake so cheaper than eating at work used to be (by a long way) and its nice knowing that I am getting exactly what my body needs. Also cuts down huge amounts of wasted time at work so not having to take as much work home........2000 calories a day returns 150g of Protein too so bang on....Oh and its Vegan so from plant sources and great for the environment.

Really looking forward to trying it in an ultra distance race as think it could really make a difference with race nutrition.

I did this for a fortnight. All I can say is I ended up feeling absolutely dreadful by about half a week in and my shite turned a chalky white colour.

I wouldn't recommend living on it but as a handy working lunch I agree it's topper.

We still have a long way to go before we have an affordable meal replacement that can replace every meal for sustained periods.

I don't get the point of this stuff.

How do they get past the issue that all shake/soup meal-replacements have - you don't enjoy them and they don't make you feel full/satisfied.

I don't get the point of this stuff.

How do they get past the issue that all shake/soup meal-replacements have - you don't enjoy them and they don't make you feel full/satisfied.

Not looked into how but I can confirm it does leave you feeling quite full.

Reactions: PTR
I did this for a fortnight. All I can say is I ended up feeling absolutely dreadful by about half a week in and my shite turned a chalky white colour.

I wouldn't recommend living on it but as a handy working lunch I agree it's topper.

We still have a long way to go before we have an affordable meal replacement that can replace every meal for sustained periods.

You're not really supposed to go straight into living on it full on. You're supposed to start by replacing 1 meal a day for the 1st week then 2 meals a day for the 2nd week before going full on for the 3rd week. That being said I enjoy food & found living on it to be a grim existence but it was awesome last time I had a full length leg cast on & was struggling to carry food from the kitchen back to the living room.

Reactions: PTR
You're not really supposed to go straight into living on it full on. You're supposed to start by replacing 1 meal a day for the 1st week then 2 meals a day for the 2nd week before going full on for the 3rd week. That being said I enjoy food & found living on it to be a grim existence but it was awesome last time I had a full length leg cast on & was struggling to carry food from the kitchen back to the living room.

Exactly, it sounds horrendous. Eating should be one of life's pleasures and there are probably significant downsides (at least psychologically) to replacing real food with this kind of thing on a regular basis. It's probably quite dangerous to assume that we (scientists, nutritionists involved in developing these things) even know enough about nutrition to decide what should be in this stuff.

I did ramp into it.

You should never ever have to replace meals with shakes! Only time you should be having shakes is to supplement your shortage of macronutrients, normally protein.

On to day 2 of this. Going to have one a day either for breakfast or at work . I can never be bothered to make something to take in and end up having a macds or something similar. It tastes similar to oats and does make you feel full. I've always been against meal replacement shakes and seen them as a con but this seems to have a decent reputation and the protein/fat/carb ratio seems ok to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back