Huddersfield

The likes of Leeds, Derby and Nottingham Forest dream of playing clubs such as Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United, Everton and West Ham United. But who dreams of playing the likes of Leeds, Derby and Nottingham Forest?

People think it impossible for clubs like Derby and Nottingham Forest to compete in the Premiership because the costings of survival in the Premiership far exceeds the financial rewards of promotion to it or seasonal income (ticket sales, merchandise, food etc.).

But nobody thinks how hard it is for League One clubs to do the same for survival in the Championship.

They too don't either simply earn anywhere near what they need to through not just prize money but 'seasonal income'.

I leave money matters to people who give a shit as even the simplest things go way above me. I don't really bother with my bank account and barely even looked at my wage slip when I was at Unipres. But what I do think and feel is that League 1 clubs presumably have what they have banked through previous ticket sales, food sales, etc to use through the season as transfer funds and such like. Things like future ticket sales, replica shirt sales and what not just add to that over the course of the season. Then you have prize money for promotion at the end of it.

None of that added all together surely make anywhere near enough for a League One side to stay up in the Championship.

At least clubs promoted from the Championship can rely on 'character' to try and get by. What do League One players have that enable them to compete with Championship players? Asking League One players to compete against Championship level talent It is like asking a Goldfish to beat a Great White Shark.

I feel more sorry for League One sides going up than Championship sides that go up.

The likes of Leeds, Derby and Nottingham Forest dream of playing clubs such as Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United, Everton and West Ham United. But who dreams of playing the likes of Leeds, Derby and Nottingham Forest?

People think it impossible for clubs like Derby and Nottingham Forest to compete in the Premiership because the costings of survival in the Premiership far exceeds the financial rewards of promotion to it or seasonal income (ticket sales, merchandise, food etc.).

But nobody thinks how hard it is for League One clubs to do the same for survival in the Championship.

They too don't either simply earn anywhere near what they need to through not just prize money but 'seasonal income'.

I leave money matters to people who give a shit as even the simplest things go way above me. I don't really bother with my bank account and barely even looked at my wage slip when I was at Unipres. But what I do think and feel is that League 1 clubs presumably have what they have banked through previous ticket sales, food sales, etc to use through the season as transfer funds and such like. Things like future ticket sales, replica shirt sales and what not just add to that over the course of the season. Then you have prize money for promotion at the end of it.

None of that added all together surely make anywhere near enough for a League One side to stay up in the Championship.

At least clubs promoted from the Championship can rely on 'character' to try and get by. What do League One players have that enable them to compete with Championship players? Asking League One players to compete against Championship level talent It is like asking a Goldfish to beat a Great White Shark.

I feel more sorry for League One sides going up than Championship sides that go up.

Southampton and Norwich both won promotion to the PL the year after being promoted from League One. Wolves did more than alright when they won promotion from League One, as did Sheff United.

You don't need to throw massive amounts of cash at football to be successful, you need well scouted transfers that fit your style of play coupled with players that can developmentally take that next step up a league.

Watch some Championship games, theres a lot of shite in there.

I saw some behind the scenes video of the Cowley brothers taking training at Huddersfield and it was all a bit lower league. Wasn't impressed by them at all tbh.
considering until that job they were at Lincoln and below, that makes sense. I'm sure this Huddersfield job will raise their skill set, and exposure to bigger set ups will broaden their experience. Thats how experience works lol.

Wigan reached the semi-final of the FA Cup in 2014, the year after their relegation from the premier league, and finished 5th in the Championship before losing to QPR in the playoffs, who went up.

Don't you mean "Doing a Sunderland"?
We've already out-Sunderlanded our Sunderlandness

Surely the best way to do it is get promoted, spend a bit of the tele money but not blow it all on huge wages. Accept you may go up and down a bit but slowly improve the squad to a point you can stay up without the blowing it all in one go and be financially stable.

You don't wonder if a time will come when teams reject the chance to join the premier League to stay in the championship instead. At least I and every single sane football fan in the world don't wonder anyway, we all know it 100% won't ever happen. Why would it ?
Not the Premier league, but I know for a fact one club in particular avoided getting promoted because of the player wage rise that would come with it. Something the chairman admitted and was a scandal when it was found out.
Surely the best way to do it is get promoted, spend a bit of the tele money but not blow it all on huge wages. Accept you may go up and down a bit but slowly improve the squad to a point you can stay up without the blowing it all in one go and be financially stable.
The Burnley Model is what you are describing.

Not the Premier league, but I know for a fact one club in particular avoided getting promoted because of the player wage rise that would come with it. Something the chairman admitted and was a scandal when it was found out.
Which club ?

99% of clubs main focus is to survive as a business. You have the top 4 or 5 who win things, then 96 other league clubs focused on breaking even. Add to that, the hundreds of non-league clubs who run as a break-even entity. Look at the Northern League and how many of them refuse promotion because it would kill them as a club from a financial perspective
Why do they even bother f***ing playing the if they are going to refuse a promotion?

Why do they even bother f***ing playing the if they are going to refuse a promotion?
Because for a lot of non-league clubs it's all about financial survial. Lots of clubs and their supporters are happy where they are. A lot of the owners have no ambition above their own league. Andy Morrison touched on it in his book - the directors travel to away games, have a few beers in the clubhouse and say "see you next season" to their counterparts. Also, a lot of clubs can't afford to move out of regional leagues due to the increased travel costs and in some cases the minimum requirements for stadia

Doing a Wigan. Punched above their weight for a bit in the PL, now in freefall down to L1. You wonder if there will come a time were clubs turn down promotion to the PL if they know they can never compete
Sure, the £200m or so in Tv revenue and parachute payments are attractive, but how many of those clubs blow most of that cash on transfer fees/ wages trying to finish 4th bottom in the PL. Seems to destroy a few clubs that would have been better off staying a big fish in the Championship

The difference being Wigan & Huddersfield are league 1 clubs punching well above their weight in the championship let alone the premier league so what ever money they make from that season they will welcome

Yeah, I suppose it’s like that. I obviously want us to return to the PL but I’d rather it took 10 years and we are never staring down the barrel like we were 2 years ago.

Doing a Wigan. Punched above their weight for a bit in the PL, now in freefall down to L1. You wonder if there will come a time were clubs turn down promotion to the PL if they know they can never compete
Sure, the £200m or so in Tv revenue and parachute payments are attractive, but how many of those clubs blow most of that cash on transfer fees/ wages trying to finish 4th bottom in the PL. Seems to destroy a few clubs that would have been better off staying a big fish in the Championship
Doing a Wigan, what about us??

The difference being Wigan & Huddersfield are league 1 clubs punching well above their weight in the championship let alone the premier league so what ever money they make from that season they will welcome
Huddersfield have won multiple top flight titles like we have, so that should surely give them a similar kind of entitlement too.

I do wonder. Hence the post. You look at the likes of Wigan and Huddersfield who have been ruined by their sojourns in the PL. Maybe they are drifting back to the fabled "natural level", but I wonder (if that's ok with you) whether their fans wish they've never bothered.
The problem with the premier league is the obsession with remaining in it .

hence clubs dropping
Out and bottoming out .

us

Portsmouth

Blackpool

Wigan

Huddersfield , to name but a few

Back