Huddersfield

Exactly. In non-league, it's invariably because the promotion moves the club to a league in which most of their games are out of the local region. Part time players can't always commit to the amount of travel involved and the club is crippled by extra transport costs. I can't see Huddersfield, for example, turning down the Premier League for those reasons.
So obvious that is shouldn't have needed to be typed out tbh. :lol:

Doing a Wigan. Punched above their weight for a bit in the PL, now in freefall down to L1. You wonder if there will come a time were clubs turn down promotion to the PL if they know they can never compete
Sure, the £200m or so in Tv revenue and parachute payments are attractive, but how many of those clubs blow most of that cash on transfer fees/ wages trying to finish 4th bottom in the PL. Seems to destroy a few clubs that would have been better off staying a big fish in the Championship
I think there already exists a situation where some club's realise promotion is not good for them.

So obvious that is shouldn't have needed to be typed out tbh. :lol:

Aye. Imagine the Huddersfield chairman going into the changing room before kick off and announcing "We need you to lose the next couple of games lads. We don't want promotion cos it'll mean an extra two Saturday nights in London hotels for the squad and we can't afford that."

This.

The ambition should be to get to the PL. The problem is that clubs are ran like businesses. If they are ran more football clubs this wouldn't happen. Too many clubs see the PL as a money tree and spend money in the hope of making money. In Huddersfield's case it was too much too soon.

Burnley and Southampton are the prime examples of how to run a successful PL club.

They are a pretty financially prudent football club. They're just not very good right now. You'd think it's mostly due to a big churn in playing and coaching staff (plus ownership) rather than overextending themselves in the PL. They made £30m profit in their first season up. The 2nd year they spent a similar amount in the market as the first so there should be nothing too dramatic unless wages absolutely exploded, which seems unlikely. This season they've offloaded a lot of PL loans, Lossel, Billing and Mooy, which should see them right everywhere but the pitch.

Why have Wigan been ruined. They were only ever a div 1/2 team, got to the prem and won an FA cup. Now they’ve returned to where they were anyways.

I also don’t see how Huddersfield are in free fall. They beat qpr 2-0 at the weekend and will stay up. They’ve had a poor year but theyve hardly spent outside of their means.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why have Wigan been ruined. They were only ever a div 1/2 team, got to the prem and won an FA cup. Now they’ve returned to where they were anyways.

I also don’t see how Huddersfield are in free fall. They beat qpr 2-0 at the weekend and will stay up. They’ve had a poor year but theyve hardly spent outside of their means.
I think Wigan have only been a club for 88 years and have spent a majority of time in the bottom 2 leagues. Even now they are playing above their "natural" position.

No doubt back in 2003, when they got promoted to Championship for the first time ever, they would have gladly accepted being shit now for the success they had between 2005 to 2013.

I think Wigan have only been a club for 88 years and have spent a majority of time in the bottom 2 leagues. Even now they are playing above their "natural" position.

No doubt back in 2003, when they got promoted to Championship for the first time ever, they would have gladly accepted being shit now for the success they had between 2005 to 2013.

Yup even when they went down they finished in the play offs the next season. Lost in the semi final then had a nightmare the season after with poor management/recruitment. Their recruitment has been poor since coming up from league 1 on 2 occasions and that’s why they’re yoyoing. Something I fear for us. Half the squad is good for league 1 but not for the championship. They’ve tried to recruit mainly in the English/Scottish market and it simply hasn’t worked. The last time they went down from the CH they made the same mistake, they signed Mandron from the conference in the January iirc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the premise of the OP.

No point getting a golden ticket only to piss it all up the wall.

In my opinion, clubs should go up and invest their money on low-risk investments and infrastructure. If they come back down, so be it but they will be the best part of 100m better off, build from there although you will always get fans upset with this.

I remember a poster asking what the point of Norwich going up was for example.

Aye. Imagine the Huddersfield chairman going into the changing room before kick off and announcing "We need you to lose the next couple of games lads. We don't want promotion cos it'll mean an extra two Saturday nights in London hotels for the squad and we can't afford that."
of course this is right.

the realiyt s the charman of huddersfield dean hoyle put the club up for sale they day they got releagetd from prem..
he had funded it and had a prem season but relegation wasnt fun so he walked away..now there is no cash..

They only became a league club in 1978 so spent most of their time as a non-league club (back before the days of the Conference/National League and automatic promotion/relegation to and from the football league).

For clubs of this size I'd compare it to me having a lovely holiday for a couple of weeks, before returning to the normal shite of everyday life. I like a nice holiday now and then though.

It'd make absolutely no sense to not get promoted to the Premier League. Even if a club had any inkling of "the premier league may ruin us" then as many other people have said, all you do is go up, don't change your squad, pocket the TV money and get relegated again.
If your squad was good enough to be promoted then as long as they aren't mentally battered from losing 30 games, they should do well in the Championship a second time but now you have 120million in the bank.

Rinse and repeat that and you're getting 120 million every 2-3 seasons and parachute payments every season. So, why would you turn down the money when you aren't forced to actually spend any of it?
For clubs of this size I'd compare it to me having a lovely holiday for a couple of weeks, before returning to the normal shite of everyday life. I like a nice holiday now and then though.
And on your holiday you got 40 free tshirts with the promise of 5 free tshirts send to you for free every month for half a year.

It'd make absolutely no sense to not get promoted to the Premier League. Even if a club had any inkling of "the premier league may ruin us" then as many other people have said, all you do is go up, don't change your squad, pocket the TV money and get relegated again.
If your squad was good enough to be promoted then as long as they aren't mentally battered from losing 30 games, they should do well in the Championship a second time but now you have 120million in the bank.

Rinse and repeat that and you're getting 120 million every 2-3 seasons and parachute payments every season. So, why would you turn down the money when you aren't forced to actually spend any of it?

And on your holiday you got 40 free tshirts with the promise of 5 free tshirts send to you for free every month for half a year.
And I love a t-shirt ;)

Exactly, but we always recruited well for the job in hand. The likes of Mccarthy, Reid and even Keane, knew what was needed to win the battle in that division.

Sadly those days seem a long way away now, and we could be a yo yo club again....unfortunately between league 1 and championship.
No. The board new what was needed.....then they left to be replaced by...I’ve not got the words tbh.

Doing a Wigan. Punched above their weight for a bit in the PL, now in freefall down to L1. You wonder if there will come a time were clubs turn down promotion to the PL if they know they can never compete
Sure, the £200m or so in Tv revenue and parachute payments are attractive, but how many of those clubs blow most of that cash on transfer fees/ wages trying to finish 4th bottom in the PL. Seems to destroy a few clubs that would have been better off staying a big fish in the Championship
I know what you mean. It's all about enjoying the matchday experience and getting humpped week in week out becomes tedious

Totally missing the point of the thread

I do wonder. Hence the post. You look at the likes of Wigan and Huddersfield who have been ruined by their sojourns in the PL. Maybe they are drifting back to the fabled "natural level", but I wonder (if that's ok with you) whether their fans wish they've never bothered.
Wigan ruined? They're where you'd expect them to be. They punched above their weight, won a trophy. They haven't been ruined at all. Far from it.

Back