Huddersfield

TopCat

Striker
Doing a Wigan. Punched above their weight for a bit in the PL, now in freefall down to L1. You wonder if there will come a time were clubs turn down promotion to the PL if they know they can never compete
Sure, the £200m or so in Tv revenue and parachute payments are attractive, but how many of those clubs blow most of that cash on transfer fees/ wages trying to finish 4th bottom in the PL. Seems to destroy a few clubs that would have been better off staying a big fish in the Championship

Doing a Wigan. Punched above their weight for a bit in the PL, now in freefall down to L1. You wonder if there will come a time were clubs turn down promotion to the PL if they know they can never compete
Sure, the £200m or so in Tv revenue and parachute payments are attractive, but how many of those clubs blow most of that cash on transfer fees/ wages trying to finish 4th bottom in the PL. Seems to destroy a few clubs that would have been better off staying a big fish in the Championship
No you don't.

You don't wonder if a time will come when teams reject the chance to join the premier League to stay in the championship instead. At least I and every single sane football fan in the world don't wonder anyway, we all know it 100% won't ever happen. Why would it ?
I do wonder. Hence the post. You look at the likes of Wigan and Huddersfield who have been ruined by their sojourns in the PL. Maybe they are drifting back to the fabled "natural level", but I wonder (if that's ok with you) whether their fans wish they've never bothered.

I do wonder. Hence the post. You look at the likes of Wigan and Huddersfield who have been ruined by their sojourns in the PL. Maybe they are drifting back to the fabled "natural level", but I wonder (if that's ok with you) whether their fans wish they've never bothered.

I don't wonder. If they are asking themselves that, they should probably try a different sport.

What's the point in football then? To survive as a business?

It's a sad day when that becomes the outlook.
99% of clubs main focus is to survive as a business. You have the top 4 or 5 who win things, then 96 other league clubs focused on breaking even. Add to that, the hundreds of non-league clubs who run as a break-even entity. Look at the Northern League and how many of them refuse promotion because it would kill them as a club from a financial perspective

Why would they ever wish that ? I'm totally baffled at the point you're making. Am I right that you're suggesting they'd rather just stagnate now and forever more than stagnate, have a season or 2 in the premier League and stagnate again ?

I don't wonder. If they are asking themselves that, they should probably try a different sport.
Good for you
Why would they ever wish that ? I'm totally baffled at the point you're making. Am I right that you're suggesting they'd rather just stagnate now and forever more than stagnate, have a season or 2 in the premier League and stagnate again ?
If you don't understand the thread then maybe try a different thread

I'm pretty certain they'll look back at them as good times and hope that they can get there again.

Wigan won the FA Cup when they were in the PL. I very much doubt that their fans wish it didn't happen.

Norwich is the model for clubs that size. Good recruitment, don't go crazy when you go up, take the odd relegation from the top flight but always be immediately competitive in the top 10 of the championship.

Use the money wisely on developing the club and become a sustainable business, and also giving the fans good times.

Where Sunderland have gone off track in recent years is the recruit wisely bit.

Back