Huddersfield owner

50-60 sound like an awful lot. We’d may as well go down the American sports model if we needed up with fewer than 40 Professional teams left in the country.

Northern League, Southern League, end of year play offs to determine champions and European spots.

50-60 sound like an awful lot. We’d may as well go down the American sports model if we needed up with fewer than 40 Professional teams left in the country.

Northern League, Southern League, end of year play offs to determine champions and European spots.
I certainly think 50 is realistic. There are 47 in L1/L2 and only a handful will survive without crowd income in the next 6/7 months. I can't see crowds before Christmas, but it will have to happen for clubs not to go under. Players may well decide they have to get a proper job, as any new contracts will be only 25% of current values. Up in the Championship, as the bloke says, if contracts aren't reduced, a number in there will also go under. Streaming will only generate a fraction of revenue in L1/L2 and it will be up against better games at the same time.
I reckon the bloke will be right if the EFL & PFA don't agree to contractual changes.

No.

We own our own ground, training ground etc.

Our debts are low, and manageable.

We have a huge fanbase. When football returns, we will have one of the highest subscriber bases for PPV.

Even if things got that bad, a crowdfunding exercise would stop us going under.
.......And our outgoings in wages are the highest in L1 by a margin.

Reckons 50-60 efl clubs could go bust, scary times. Anyone genuinely think we could be one of them?

Yes.
The position of virtually every club is beyond precarious.
I have no doubt that the present club could go bump; to be re-incarnated as "SAFC 2020" or somesuch; as many others have done previously.
I further have no doubt that a number of clubs could well disappear altogether, with no-one willing to take them on.

Back