Huawei mobiles

Thing with Android apps is that they're just APK files - it doesn't matter what site they are hosted on. There are plenty of other app repositories out there.
Seems they've added a "search an app" app on their OS anyway, so this is all done for you - its just not Google Apps doing the grunt. Which might actually be a good thing?

I'm sure it'll be possible to side load google apps anyway. Like I have done on my Fire tablets.

Last edited:
iPhones just work well - I would never buy anything else now. I am completely sold on the brand.

I don’t trust the Huawei brand although I heard they are a great bunch of lads.

Thing with Android apps is that they're just APK files - it doesn't matter what site they are hosted on. There are plenty of other app repositories out there.
Seems they've added a "search an app" app on their OS anyway, so this is all done for you - its just not Google Apps doing the grunt. Which might actually be a good thing?

I'm sure it'll be possible to side load google apps anyway. Like I have done on my Fire tablets.

You would like to think that Google were checking the Apps for viruses/malware etc (although the evidence is that they don't do anything like enough of this).

In just the same way as I would rarely install Windows Programs from random websites I would feel the same way about installing APK files from app repositories other than the Play Store.

I have an Honor 9 Lite (made by Huawei) but that is still able to use Google Play Store. Very decent phone for the money. I hope the Chinese MSS are having great fun listening to my conversations and decoding my messages.

You would like to think that Google were checking the Apps for viruses/malware etc (although the evidence is that they don't do anything like enough of this).

In just the same way as I would rarely install Windows Programs from random websites I would feel the same way about installing APK files from app repositories other than the Play Store.

I have an Honor 9 Lite (made by Huawei) but that is still able to use Google Play Store. Very decent phone for the money. I hope the Chinese MSS are having great fun listening to my conversations and decoding my messages.

Neither apple nor google do a good job of proactively checking apps before they go on the store - they've both been caught out many times.

There are some places I would trust for APKs, and some I wouldn't (piratebay type places!).
There's no reason to only use the Play store tbh, that's like only using the Microsoft store for apps, which absolutely nobody does.

My mam has that phone, and I have the non-lite version myself. Its cracking.

I get an iPhone purely because I’m used to them and get a massive discount at work.

As for Android, in terms of spec you can’t really go wrong with an Huawei phone and everything prior to the P40 Pro has Google support.

The P30 series still has Google. The P40 series doesn't. I got the P30 pro last week and I really like it. I had the P20 Pro before that.

I've got the P30 Pro and had the P30 previously and love it. The camera still has yet to bettered significantly and the other thing I use it for (listening to music) gives me Dolby atmos. Coupled with Amazon HD music and my JBL buds it's a leap forward from my previous iPhone and Spotify.

I just came across this thread trying to look up what people actually thought of the Huawei and Honor phones. I've an Honor 20e, which is a bloody good phone. The Honor 20e has Google PlayStore on it as does the Honor 9x Lite.

A couple of other things.

1) It may be that the Honor brand may be seen as separate from Huawei in future and Google Apps thus may become standard again.

2) A quick search around indicates various methods for installing Google apps onto your Huawei or Honor phones if you're missing them.

As regards the second point, I'll let people have a look for themselves as I'm not getting into the technicalities. But one way may include copying across Google apps alongside other settings from a non-Huawei phone on setup, as many phones do when you're preparing them for first use.

I just came across this thread trying to look up what people actually thought of the Huawei and Honor phones. I've an Honor 20e, which is a bloody good phone. The Honor 20e has Google PlayStore on it as does the Honor 9x Lite.

A couple of other things.

1) It may be that the Honor brand may be seen as separate from Huawei in future and Google Apps thus may become standard again.

2) A quick search around indicates various methods for installing Google apps onto your Huawei or Honor phones if you're missing them.

As regards the second point, I'll let people have a look for themselves as I'm not getting into the technicalities. But one way may include copying across Google apps alongside other settings from a non-Huawei phone on setup, as many phones do when you're preparing them for first use.

Go xiami instead

I had an Honor 9. It was absolutely fine.
Gave it to my dad before Xmas, so it'll get 2+ years more use. Bought my mam an honor 9 lite, and that's absolutely fine too.

Sure this was just a trump thing wasn't it? So now Biden is pres will they be allowed to have Google back on Huawei stuff?
Was reading about it yesterday. Said US stance on China may soften which would allow Google to deal with Huawei again but its way down on their list of priorities so won't be happening any time soon.

Back