1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS2, wheels in motion...

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Moyes and the Boys, Jul 17, 2017.

1. dixonsafc

dixonsafc Striker

This is my major concern.

A ticket on the day, single from Leeds > London is currently £105. How much is this going to cost?!

gazc24 and Frijj like this.
  2. box2box

box2box Striker

Going north and south in the U.K. Is ok, going west / east is a nightmare

Clearly HS2 is simply providing a larger labour pool to London

I bet some of those contractor quotes will be a tad under priced to the lowest offer.......

JohnAin likes this.
  3. Lambchops

Lambchops Striker

been on the news the first the north west can expect a train from this is 2033 :lol:

Frijj likes this.
  4. Big Duke Six

Big Duke Six Winger

I usually just shit on the platform.

andy likes this.
  5. James

James Striker

Ten benk return once Corbyn gets in. :cool:

6. den

den Midfield

Tories wasting more tax payers money yet again.

Frijj likes this.
  7. 1otc

1otc Central Defender

Which will probably be 16 minutes late

Bishop Boy and Frijj like this.
  8. tunstallhill

tunstallhill Winger

Well as lot of people will be making a lot of money out of this. None of those people will be working class. Certainly not from the north of England. It will be fantastic for share holders of certain companies, certain land owners, friends of the tory party and the upper echelons of the establishment. For you and I , there will be little to no benefit. Although we will be paying for it.

9. redgauntlet

redgauntlet Striker

They tried that, the trains were built, apparently there wasn't enough demand some of Eurostars were lent to GNER at one point. I don't know what happened after that.

10. royaldragon

royaldragon Midfield

Thats fine but High speed rail should be going direct to places with the highest population like Teesside, Wearside and Tyneside, not small cities like Darlington and Durham.

11. redgauntlet

redgauntlet Striker

They tried that, the trains were built, apparently there wasn't enough demand some of Eurostars were lent to GNER at one point. I don't know where they are now.

12. Hulkster

Hulkster Striker

£450m per mile.

Ridiculous vanity project.

Frijj and Big Duke Six like this.
  13. Goldeneye

Goldeneye Full Back

Investment in infrastructure like this is a good thing. It provides more capacity for the increasing demand which the existing lines cant provide and it is not cost effective to upgrade them anymore.
    HS2 has major oversights- there is no spur to Heathrow (cutting domestic flights was one of the main reasons behind it) and no direct through connection onto High Speed 1 that would allow direct trains to the continent. It will cost more to retrofit these into the system in the future.
    The Beeching report and Marples push for roads to benefit his construction company look more short sighted every day. If they hadnt closed the Great Central Main Line this line probably wouldnt have been needed. I would rather the money was reinvested in reversing those damaging closures the trackbeds are still there in a lot of cases and the local rail network in this country is poor.
    And please just nationalise the railways stop the ludicrous system of offshoring profits to state owned SNCF and Deutsche Bahn. These companies recieve billions more in state subsidy than British Rail ever did.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    tunstallhill likes this.
  14. James

James Striker

16,000 jobs created. I'll secure employment for a lot of working class people.

15. tunstallhill

tunstallhill Winger

during the construction, fair enough. if the money was spent on other schemes, equal amounts of jobs could be created. with better planning, long term jobs could be created. if it was nationalised, it could be managed for the benefit of the public purse. fares across the country could be brought inline with european prices. there will be little to no long term advantage to the vast majority of people in this country; the people who are technically paying for it.

16. Swindon On Tour

Swindon On Tour Midfield

All very well and good.

You wait until it's built and is not utilised.
    If it was affordable and took away some of the road traffic then excellent but the investment costs are excessive and will never be recovered.

The existing network could be modified at a fraction of the cost.
    The land mass of this Country is not big and in my opinion does not warrant such an excessive cost. White elephant indeed.

andy and scraff like this.
  17. scraff

scraff Winger

Its an utter folly and there are so many ways this money could be used to the benefit of the country. A fucking ridiculous decision all round, stupid bastards, I was living in the vain that one of these monumental bellends would have aquired a modicum of common sense post election, alas no.

andy likes this.
  18. The express services from the likes of Manchester & Birmingham are generally okay, from experience. Run quadruple track for most of the way on the ECML & WCML which minimises disruption from local stopping services.

It certainly isn't that much of a problem to spend what they are on this project.

The money would be better spent re-opening some of the branch lines imo. The local infrastructure in the north is absolutely shocking.

19. James

James Striker

It'll be used to capacity all the time. It's needed.

Goldeneye likes this.
  20. The Butcher

The Butcher Winger

Exactly, a disgraceful project when much of the country's local networks are pathetic. All for the sake of a few minutes quicker.

becs likes this.