1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS2, wheels in motion...

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Moyes and the Boys, Jul 17, 2017.

1. I don't think it's a case of for or against but how. If the privatised rail sector believe this is in the interests of the consumer then they are more than welcome to put it forward and fund it themselves, why should the tax payer foot the bill, what's the benefit to them considering not every tax payer uses the rail system as is?

2. rolling stock is down to the franchise holder

3. Randy Ostrich

Randy Ostrich Striker

4. SA96

SA96 Central Defender

HS2 is brilliant and public transport should be subsidised and encouraged.

Increasing road tax and extending HS2 across the whole country would be brilliant.

Epping likes this.
  5. dixonsafc

dixonsafc Striker

The problem with profiteering and privatisation of the trains.

I'm yet to see a decent argument as to why the cost of HS2 is a worthwhile investment. The costs are astronomical for the gains from what I can see.

Also how much are tickets going to cost?

It's already about £105 for a single on the day for Leeds to London.

6. Randy Ostrich

Randy Ostrich Striker

It's undeniably a huge flaw in the plan. HS2 might be more use if it goes from city centre to city centre but it won't. So much about the existing plan is just balls.

7. Paddy O'Dors

Paddy O'Dors Striker

I'd be happy to do the 75 miles from Portsmouth to London in less than the 1hr 45m it currently takes.

Only takes just over 2 hrs to do London- Paris ffs!

Frijj likes this.
  8. James

James Striker

It will free up a load of room on the existing network.

600 miles of Dutch standard cycle lanes to be built alongside it as well. I'm all for that!

9. Will those lanes be North of Birmingham?

10. Bishop Boy

Bishop Boy Winger

And they thought cars getting close was bad.....,.

James likes this.
  11. James

James Striker

12. duff_man

duff_man Striker

Not on your life my hindu friend

Lambchops likes this.
  13. Bishop Boy

Bishop Boy Winger

It's a pity we never looked into tilting trains back in the 70s they would do the job.

Goldeneye likes this.
  14. andy

andy Winger

I think it will have the opposite effect and add to it.

15. shaviessafc

shaviessafc Winger

Good. It's about time we have an improved rail network in this country, it's a fucking disgrace. Expensive and shite.

Go to many countries of Western Europe and they have a brilliant rail network.

One thing with HS2 was that I previously thought it would stop at say Leeds or Manchester, it seems as if it is being expanded to Durham, Newcastle and Edinburgh using existing lines?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  16. Comments like "It will be easier for us to do business right around the country" from London.

Presumably the North East has won our bid to join Scotland

becs likes this.
  17. burro nunn

burro nunn Winger

Can't imagine it ever coming up to the north east mind, just not enough passenger numbers.

Can see why they chose that route, Birmingham and Leeds the busiest stations in England outside of London, if wiki is right anyway.

18. gazc24

gazc24 Midfield

The price for a ticket will be insane given the cost of a current train ticket.