How to tone/lose a gut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morny

Striker
Just noticed this board, not sure when it sprung up but it's pretty good.

Anyway, since the beginning of last March (2011) have managed to lose just over 10 stone - from a mammoth 27st4, to a (still not inconsiderable) 16st13. It's an achievement I'm quite proud of, and feel that as I'm 6ft2/3'ish, I don't want to lose a great deal more (maybes a stone, stone and a half) before hitting ideal 'weight'.

However, still got a bit of work to do on toning up, specifically getting rid of the gut I've still got - it's considerably smaller than before, but it's still pretty nasty!

What things specifically can I do to concentrate on this?

Currently doing running a few times a week (training for the 10k, and GNR) and also play football once/twice a week, as well as have one/two sessions on a bike/cross-trainer (depending how often I play football). But figure this cardio-based stuff won't be doing loads towards it, really.

Considered doing one of those internet '100 pushups' or '200 situp' challenges to build it up over a number of weeks, but suspect that although this would help it wouldn't make a massive 'dent'.

What type of thing should I be doing to to get rid then? Haway SMB, help me through this final stage....

Congratulations on the weight loss! Done just by exercise or food reduction/change too?

Thanks very much :)

Combination of both - done a WW diet, but supplemented it with exercise. Have increased the exercise over recent months, to ensure I kept losing at a steady rate.

Lot smarter about food now, and at times when I have a binge (Christmas week, or on holiday) and eat/drink loads of shit, it's bizarre how much I look forward to returning to eating a bit smarter and cleaner.

Hope you aren't the guy on the radio now. He hasn't eaten since the 6th of april and is living on water and diet coke. And he wonders why he feels ill!

Fantastic achievement so far. As you continue to reduce bodyfat, you'll notice that you will become more 'defined. If you get to too low of a weight and you don't feel comfortable, take some time to add a bit of muscle mass and then reduce bodyfat again.

Well done on the weight loss takes a hell of a lot of dedication to do what you have done.

Hope you aren't the guy on the radio now. He hasn't eaten since the 6th of april and is living on water and diet coke. And he wonders why he feels ill!

Jesus Christ, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. That's some clever folk knocking about like....

Fantastic achievement so far. As you continue to reduce bodyfat, you'll notice that you will become more 'defined. If you get to too low of a weight and you don't feel comfortable, take some time to add a bit of muscle mass and then reduce bodyfat again.

Cheers, will this help in terms of flattening the gut/stomach area? Which at the moment is my main challenge, to be honest

Well done on the weight loss takes a hell of a lot of dedication to do what you have done.

Cheers mate, appreciated

Jesus, knew you'd lost weight, but not that much. Skinny bastard.

Cheers mate, you continually called me that when I saw you in town after the Mags match, in between bouts of jumping on me and singing 'We f***ing hate the Mags' ;)

Just trying to shave some extra off stomach now, feel like I'm a decent size everywhere else, was just posting here to try and get some tips for this, certain exercises or routines which may help.

If you improve your posture just by standing up straight and drawing your stomach in you will be surprised how much difference this makes to your appearance, and continually remember to hold it in and you will train the muscles. Core stability!

Suspect that your skin will need time to respond after losing that much weight in such a short time.

Personally would suggest hitting the weights and doing decent core work

I don't think you can spot-train to lose weight from a particular area. Obviously you can do stuff to work on toning your core which will help. Oh, and congrats on the weight loss. An excellent achievement :cool:

Yeah, don't be scared to bulk up a bit after a while. It's a lot harder than people seem to imagine to get "too big". If you can do a well-controlled bulk, hitting compound lifts hard for a couple of months and then start reducing bodyfat again, you'll notice a huge, huge improvement.

I don't think you can spot-train to lose weight from a particular area. Obviously you can do stuff to work on toning your core which will help. Oh, and congrats on the weight loss. An excellent achievement :cool:

From my (limited) knowledge of work outs, will doing things like sit-ups and push-ups each day be a good way to start this. Figure if I start on that, to supplement the stuff I already do, until I get a decent base.

From my (limited) knowledge of work outs, will doing things like sit-ups and push-ups each day be a good way to start this. Figure if I start on that, to supplement the stuff I already do, until I get a decent base.

Little things like that are great.
Personally I can't do situps, as doing them destroys my lower back. God knows why, it just hurts too much. Lack of muscle maybe? Its got nothing to do with how I do them like, I do them like everyone else. Wierd.

I do love pressups though, make sure you do them very slowly. 5 very slow ones is better than 30 quicker ones, its absolutely brilliant.

I have a mini workout regime at home, do it in the morning and in the evening.
Pressups - 3 sets of 25
Squats - 2 sets of 20
Various dumbell sets - 5x2 sets
Tricep dips - 2 sets of 20

Takes time, and therefore patience as i've fallen into the trap of missing one day, and then following it up with 2 weeks of nowt. Results come surprisingly quickly though, especially when you are doing lots of other stuff like cycling or the gym. Builds a good solid core.
One thing to be wary of if you are doing this though is it is quite easy to hurt your muscles. Starting up my regime several months back after a lazy few weeks in the summer was very painful. I could only do one set (a lot less than I do now) every 3 days until I regained the tone as my muscles had just wasted away.
Like, i'd go to do a pressup and as i'd start to lower myself to the floor the strain+pain was intense. So just a heads up, but I think you'll be fine.

Drink a rediculous amount of water too, i've got no idea why it works/is meant to work, but I do it anyway. I drink about 3-4litres a day, and it helps to keep the snacking away too as it fills you up.

As for anything dietary wise, I don't really know. I see all this protein stuff, but when I am out doing shopping I can't physically put it in the trolley as my housemates just burst out laughing at me. Also it is as expensive as gold. So just have a nice high protein diet? If i'm honest, I eat a lot of chicken, steak and fish, and combine it with some nice potatoes and veg. But if my diet slacks I don't notice anything.

Congrats about the loss mate, thats f***ing terrific. :cool:

Little things like that are great.
Personally I can't do situps, as doing them destroys my lower back. God knows why, it just hurts too much. Lack of muscle maybe? Its got nothing to do with how I do them like, I do them like everyone else. Wierd.

I do love pressups though, make sure you do them very slowly. 5 very slow ones is better than 30 quicker ones, its absolutely brilliant.

I have a mini workout regime at home, do it in the morning and in the evening.
Pressups - 3 sets of 25
Squats - 2 sets of 20
Various dumbell sets - 5x2 sets
Tricep dips - 2 sets of 20

Takes time, and therefore patience as i've fallen into the trap of missing one day, and then following it up with 2 weeks of nowt. Results come surprisingly quickly though, especially when you are doing lots of other stuff like cycling or the gym. Builds a good solid core.
One thing to be wary of if you are doing this though is it is quite easy to hurt your muscles. Starting up my regime several months back after a lazy few weeks in the summer was very painful. I could only do one set (a lot less than I do now) every 3 days until I regained the tone as my muscles had just wasted away.
Like, i'd go to do a pressup and as i'd start to lower myself to the floor the strain+pain was intense. So just a heads up, but I think you'll be fine.

Drink a rediculous amount of water too, i've got no idea why it works/is meant to work, but I do it anyway. I drink about 3-4litres a day, and it helps to keep the snacking away too as it fills you up.

As for anything dietary wise, I don't really know. I see all this protein stuff, but when I am out doing shopping I can't physically put it in the trolley as my housemates just burst out laughing at me. Also it is as expensive as gold. So just have a nice high protein diet? If i'm honest, I eat a lot of chicken, steak and fish, and combine it with some nice potatoes and veg. But if my diet slacks I don't notice anything.

Congrats about the loss mate, thats f***ing terrific. :cool:

Cheers for the advice mate, spot on stuff that.

Been doing 100+ press-up challenge and 200+ sit-up this week, first time I've done press-ups since school. Added to my session on the cross-trainer on Tuesday, and my upper body is in absolute DOMS agony! Worth it mind, at least I know it's having an effect.

A very good achievement but how on earth did you let yourself get all the way to 27 stone before you said enough is enough?

I start to panic if I get half a stone over weight, which to be fair I currently am :oops: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back