How to get rid of midges

My mate comes up in git wass blebs though. :lol:

I do!

Last night of a holiday and I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. Rather than put the light on and disturb my ex, I decided to go and sit on the balcony and read for a bit. Didn't feel anything biting me at the time. Went back to bed and got up the next morning and I had lumps like size of eggs all over my legs. Spent a nine hour flight home trying not to itch them :neutral:

I do!

Last night of a holiday and I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. Rather than put the light on and disturb my ex, I decided to go and sit on the balcony and read for a bit. Didn't feel anything biting me at the time. Went back to bed and got up the next morning and I had lumps like size of eggs all over my legs. Spent a nine hour flight home trying not to itch them :neutral:
Imagine that on your pyatt. I was howling. :lol:

If you're in Sunderland, they're not midges. If they were midges you'd know about it.
But, for midges: Avon Skin So Soft will stop them landing, and drinking Guinness and eating Marmite will stop them biting. Only the females bite and they hate large amounts of Vitamin B in blood.
I'm sure they are mind. And a quick Google search confirms it. I've been bit to bits by them in Sunderland. Much worse than a mosquito bite.

Last edited:
Interesting that marra, assuming it’s true. I always had a feeling there were certain things you could eat or drink that would keep them away. When my Mam used to visit me she’d always gloat that the mozzies in Houston never bothered her. Then she stopped smoking and the next time she came she was bitten to buggery!
There have been times when they’ve feasted on me but I can’t remember the last time I was bitten - and we live on a lake.

I can remember going to Middleton Camp once and the field behind the main building was drowning in midges or something like that (small black fliers, not mosquitoes) but they didn’t bite much at all. That might have been the same summer there was a ladybird epidemic?
Gin & Tonic is a good one.

If you're in Sunderland, they're not midges. If they were midges you'd know about it.
But, for midges: Avon Skin So Soft will stop them landing, and drinking Guinness and eating Marmite will stop them biting. Only the females bite and they hate large amounts of Vitamin B in blood.

A combo of Skin So Soft and Smidge, and eating Marmite almost every day didn't stop the little fuckers in Moffat when we stopped off for chips on an overnight bike ride. Dense clouds of the little shits. We saw one rider with a net over his head and thought it was funny, about half an hour later everyone thought he was the smartest person there.

Next day I looked like I had smallpox.

Back