How to build the perfect model railway

I like this sort of stuff. The realism and detail.
Not something I'd ever do myself, but I reckon these blokes doing it must feel a real sense of reward.
If I done it myself I'd probably just pretend that I was a giant a lot.

in our last house the loft sapce was 17 m L x 6m W, not small but about right to get full speed up of the APT and smokers... restrictive in some ways but the Garage, now there.s a chance to extend beyond those track lengths.. unlimited mate. Been on fifteen years and no where near finished. We have a mixed range, Hornby,Marklin to Walthers..Our NYC rake has 8 coaches, a hell of a length, a tad bigger than a Hornby coronation Scot, hence the size of our layout.
I get that but my car will need to go in garage and all the other shite so will be restrictive for me.

in our last house the loft sapce was 17 m L x 6m W, not small but about right to get full speed up of the APT and smokers... restrictive in some ways but the Garage, now there.s a chance to extend beyond those track lengths.. unlimited mate. Been on fifteen years and no where near finished. We have a mixed range, Hornby,Marklin to Walthers..Our NYC rake has 8 coaches, a hell of a length, a tad bigger than a Hornby coronation Scot, hence the size of our layout.

Nice one. The only thing that put me off with it going in the loft was the appeal of actually using it.
The one I build the lad was in his bedroom, mind you took up all the room :)
The day it went was a little sad as another memory of my youngest growing up.
Mind you he is adamant he wants to be a train driver. No doubt in the blood as my Dad worked on the steam trains as his first job, a fireman on the GWR - Gods wonderful Railway.
Took a few videos of it before it went though so he has the memory.
You never know in a few years time I might have to build another one :rolleyes::lol:

I've always had model railways. CAn't be arsed with scratch building finescale stuff though.

Currently planning a new layout based on South HYlton in 1948

Of course, if I had Pete Waterman's money...

Last edited:
I get that but my car will need to go in garage and all the other shite so will be restrictive for me.
Gave up trying to put the car in the garage...:D

Nice one. The only thing that put me off with it going in the loft was the appeal of actually using it.
The one I build the lad was in his bedroom, mind you took up all the room :)
The day it went was a little sad as another memory of my youngest growing up.
Mind you he is adamant he wants to be a train driver. No doubt in the blood as my Dad worked on the steam trains as his first job, a fireman on the GWR - Gods wonderful Railway.
Took a few videos of it before it went though so he has the memory.
You never know in a few years time I might have to build another one :rolleyes::lol:
£60,000 a year on Cross Rail for Drivers....;) he will be able to support you for life.:D

For anyone interested in model railways this place in Hamburg is a must visit. Homepage | Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg

The young'uns been there...Says its magnificent.

Last edited:
N gauge is your friend. A bit fiddly to work on with, but half the area needed for oo.
Mine is n gauge at the minute, but I'm going to move into oo9, narrow gauge.
Keeping the n gauge track, but using oo gauge accessories and adapted rolling stock.

N gauge is your friend. A bit fiddly to work on with, but half the area needed for oo.
Mine is n gauge at the minute, but I'm going to move into oo9, narrow gauge.
Keeping the n gauge track, but using oo gauge accessories and adapted rolling stock.
Toyedwith the idea of n gauge but reading too many negatives with regards to fiddle yards etc. OO is the way forward for me

Gave up trying to put the car in the garage...:D

£60,000 a year on Cross Rail for Drivers....;) he will be able to support you for life.:D

The young'uns been there...Says its magnificent.

Nearly got a chance to look in the cab of one of those fancy high speed Hitachi trains on Saturday but the driver had to leave.
He can then get me cheap rail travel :D

Back